[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
Web site building and hosting service : Web Hosting - Page 2

Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:28 pm

For a long time I've been advising people that the whole Internet marketing how-to scene is overcrowded and that it would be wise to look for less competitive niches. In this case, I take my own advice.

For ideas, read widely. Look at magazines, newsletters, forums, advertisements...

We're experimenting in quite a few different areas, including ones that are totally unrelated to Internet marketing. Nope, I don't feel like telling you what they are. Maybe one day.

Here's a list of sites I have made public:

http://www.AssociatePrograms.com
http://www.PayPerClickSearchEngines.com (Nathan runs that one)
http://www.LifetimeCommissions.com (Glennys)
http://www.LifetimeCustomers.com (one page)
http://www.dj-tips-and-tricks.com (Rupert)
http://www.cheap-computers-guide.com (Rupert)

I've just advertised for another assistant. What I have in mind is building sites based on the interests of the person we hire. That's a model which seems to show a lot of promise, and it looks as though it can be repeated again and again.

Hope that helps.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Offline business on the web

Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:44 am

Hello Everyone,

I use the web to make money, and it is not from internet marketing.

1. I have an IT review center. The web site is used to market the company and accept student registration. So far the web site is a good investment.

2. I have used the web site to sell software for a company. One lead alone from the web site has given me $1000 in commission.

3. I have used my personal web site to get projects from Hong Kong and USA.

4. I have used the ideas from the Rupert experiment to sell physical products from a simple web site, using the affiliate idea. Makes close to $ 700 / month after only 6 months on the web.

Hopefully this helps in proving that the web is a useful tool to grow a business, and that business need not be selling internet marketing courses.

Thank you.

Joel M.

P.S. Allan, I think it is best not to indulge spamhater in this board. You cannot win an arguement with someone who is close minded and still lacks knowledge in running a business. Although I understand, you are just defending your integrity against this person.

P.P.S. Spamhater, do not assume that people are sheep without a mind of their own. If ever I follow Allan's advice, it is done with careful consideration. By the way, I teach in the MBA program of a leading University, a published book author, a former IT manager for a large global bank, and run several successful off line businesses.
Joel M

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:01 am

Hi Joel

Thanks very much for your advice. Feel free to post the URL of your web site if you wish. No one here would regard that as spam.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:35 pm

Hey Allan et al.,

I think I should clarify my point, based on posts made in this thread over the last few days.

Talk of "taking sides" etc. has made me wonder if my original post was misunderstood...

I wasn't "throwing down the gauntlet" for a major online head bashing ala SH, just asking a question to which I was interested in the answer.

Apologies to all and sundry if my post earlier sounded more aggressive than was intended. I just have a particular interest in the success of non-marketing related niches and was wondering if Allan was actively involved in any.

As this doesn't appear to be the case, with the exception of Ruperts sites, fine. No problem. Not an issue.

I wasn't looking to knock you if you didn't. Just wondering...

Cheers,
Richard
RichardAdams

How to find a successful affiliate in seconds

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:54 pm

You really don't need to appeal on forums for examples of successful affiliate web sites. Most affiliates don't want to tell you the URLs of their sites, but truly successful affiliate sites are all around you.

If you're hugely successful in marketing, you can't hide what you're doing because to attract visitors and sales you MUST make your business known.

So it's not too difficult to track down successful affiliate sites.

(However, if you're successful in a small, overlooked niche, that's an entirely different matter. You may stay overlooked - by most people, anyway.)

To track down successful affiliates, start by thinking like a successful affiliate. What are the three main ways in which affiliates make money?

1. They build sites that rank highly in search engines.

2. They buy visitors per click at Overture, FindWhat and Google AdWords.

3. They build huge email lists or newsletters.

They may do one, two or all three of those things.

Because of that, you can track them down by looking at search engines, by doing searches in Overture, Google and FindWhat, and by subscribing to popular email lists and newsletters.

Here's a quick example - a search I've done just a few seconds ago.

Let's assume you're interested in the match-making industry, which is a big money-spinner for some affiliates.

Go to Google and type in a few key phrases of industries in which you are interested. For example, I typed in an obvious keyword, "dating".

Look in both the top 10 search results and in the AdWords ads in the top right-hand corner of the search results page.

In the search results, I quickly found http://www.askmen.com/dating/ , which is a fairly sophisticated site which appears to be earning commissions from affiliate programs. It claims to have 5 million readers a month, and certainly looks the part.

It obviously knows how to get ranked well in search engines and how to have a successful mailing list. There must be many lessons to be learned here.

On that page, I clicked on a link which caught my eye. It says "Dating Guide. The System. Keep the woman of your dreams".

That link took me to http://www.date.com/register.html . This looks like an affiliate link. To be certain, while at Date.com, using the Google Toolbar, I typed in "affiliate" and clicked on "Search Site" to make sure that Date.com has an affiliate program. Yes, it does.

Now, it's possible that Date.com is actually buying advertising on that site, or has some special hybrid advertising deal that involves per click payments, CPM and commissions. Big sites do that sort of thing. The details don't matter.

The point is that it's highly likely that this is a very successful affiliate site which can be found in seconds. I don't guarantee it will always take seconds. Sometimes it can take several minutes. So be persistent. If I can find them, you can.

The only real work involved in finding sites like this is thinking of keywords in various industries. If you're short of ideas, flick open the Yellow Pages, or have a look at the categories of affiliate programs in the AssociatePrograms.com directory.

If you're still short of ideas for keywords to type into search engines, have a look at the "Six ways to do keywords research" section of my article on AdSense: http://www.AssociatePrograms.com/search/adsense.shtml

For fanatics who want to do more research on this, here's more...

Quite a while back, I wrote a series of articles on this topic. It might be a bit outdated now, but perhaps you'll find it useful. Here they are:

"How to hunt down super affiliates"
http://www.associateprograms.com/search ... r158.shtml

"How to hunt down super affiliates PART 2"
http://www.associateprograms.com/search ... r159.shtml

"How to hunt down super affiliates PART 3"
http://www.associateprograms.com/search ... r160.shtml

Hope that helps.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:20 am

Did my post get deleted or did it never go through or am I just imagining that I posted here :oops:

Anyway, if you can't make your own website by visiting www.php.net, www.w3schools.org, and www.mysql.com you aren't fit to be making them. Maybe you should hand that part of your business over to a professional that makes websites? There are a lot of things that can mess your website up for a lot of people and it is an inconvenience to us web users that have broken pages on your site. Not to mention all of the search engines being flooded with stuff that the searcher doesn't want to see and they give up on their search because people are using keywords in the wrong way. </rant>
groundup

Use Web Site to Grow an Offline Business

Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:08 am

Hi Allan,

I did not include my url's because I did not want to use this board to "advertise" my sites.

But I can give everyone one example of a site I did. SPSS (www.spss.com) is a big company selling statistical and data mining software.

I did not do that site, but I did the web site for their Philippine office. The url is www.spssph.com. The purpose of the site is twofold:

1. Provide information to existing customers (customer care).
2. Generate new leads.

The site is part of the marketing mix of the company.

All the best...

Joel

P.S. Allan keep up the great work. I do learn a lot from you.
Joel M

Successful affiliate sites

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:20 pm

Dear Hearts and Gentle People:
Hmm, I thought this forum was to discuss hosting and maybe building sites, not what a successful affiliate is selling. It's been my experience, online since '95, that the more successful affiliates aren't willing to identify thier most successful sites, and since there are so many that would steal everything they could from those sites, effective or not, I can't say that I blame them.

I've "known" Allan Gardyne online since BEFORE (and while) he started Associateprograms.com and I can attest to, and vouch for, his absolute integrity--I could give examples and specifics but I'd like to not have to do that. The fact is that integrity is what has enabled his success, as much as anything else.

To the discussion at hand, I've used Frontpage but find it so limiting that I get very frustrated. I actually use a free program called Arachnophilia, version 5. Depending on your operating system, if you can use Version 4, it's the easiest possible way to learn html that I found. Version 5 is quite a bit more sophisticated-appearing, although it functions the same old way when I got into it.

Long ago I used Hypermart, was happy with them, and their wysiwyg system wasn't too bad. It's probably better now. I hear really good things about Site Build It in many other newsletters, but for a mini-site it's probably overkill. You could always start with a free simple site template and open it in Frontpage and do it that way--depends on how fancy you want to get. Look at http://www.freesitetemplates.com and see if something there strikes your fancy. Some of them come with style sheets ready to customize and java script, mouseovers, that sort of thing. You can find sites online that give you java script for all sorts of menus--you don't have to be an html guru to put a great site together. You just have to have a good idea and some time and patience.

Hope that helps.
Jancee

Previous

Return to Web Hosting