[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
offline url mistake? : Web Site Promotion

offline url mistake?

Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:03 pm

Hi everyone,

I have read the helpful threads on this forum about the dos and don'ts of having a second, shorter url pointing to your primary, longer url and feel I might have made a mistake. Any light that people can shed on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

I have an SBI site with a long, dashed url. About 4 months ago, a friend who is much more tech-savvy than myself registered a shorter url and hosted it on his server. He used a 301 permanent redirect to point it to my dashed url. From reading the threads on this forum, I understand that one is not supposed to use the shorter url as links on the web, avoid search engine spidering and use it only for offline promotion.

Unfortunately, when checking my backlinks last night, I realized that I naively submitted an article on August 19th to one online article bank with the shorter url as the link to my site. Several websites subsequently published this article with my shorter url pointing to my dashed, primary site. I also noticed that hotbot is picking up my shorter url as a backlink to my primary site.

The article bank that the problem article appears on does not give you the option of self-editing. I emailed them last night to see if they will delete the url, but have not heard back from them yet. Unfortunately, I fear the damage may already have been done.

At this point, should I simply take down the 301 redirect of my shorter url to the longer, dashed one? I also have read that there is a way to make a url not be indexed by the search engines. Would this be beneficial, or is it already too late in light that hotbot has already picked it up? I got a PR update from Google in early October, so at this point, I don't think I was banned or penalized. An additional cause for worry is that I am usually crawled once a week, and this has not occured since October 27th.

Sorry for being long-winded, and I hope that I have articulated my problem clearly. Thanks in advance for any input on how to proceed, and hopefully these questions will help others as well.

Best Regards,

Ben Bicais
benb24

Re: offline url mistake?

Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:14 pm

Charlie

Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:14 pm

Hi Charlie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my questions. Your response definitely puts my mind at ease. :)

Best Regards,

Ben
benb24

Return to Web Site Promotion