[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
Buying reciprocal links : Web Site Promotion - Page 2

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:10 am

Phil Tanny

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:15 am

Debs

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:34 am

AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:15 am

Phil Tanny

Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:51 pm

Phil Tanny

Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:12 am

AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:56 am

Debs

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:27 pm

Jewel

Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:33 pm

Hey guys,

So many great points, by such good people. It's a
challenge to reply to only some of all the ideas you
all have offered. I'm enjoying my job as test newbie!

You're right, a dose of desperation might make this
easier. "What do you wanna do?" is fun, but a bit more
complicated than "Do what you gotta do."

Treating it like a hobby? Great question.

It's interesting to ask why I'm adding more pages of
content every day to Allan's site, instead of my own.
It's fair to ask a test newbie who is working on
someone else's site how serious they are.

Another answer is that this test newbie gets more
response from writing for 12 people here than they get
by writing for 1200 visitors on their own site.

That reality helps illustrate the energy feedback loop
needed to keep any project alive, and also raises the
question in my mind of whether our sites are really a
niche worth pursuing as a business, or even as a
hobby.

If you posted here everyday and nobody ever replied
to your post, how long would you keep it up?

The lack of response to an existing 100 page site is
real field data that I have to at least consider.

Treating it like a business?

Allan has raised the intriguing question of using money
to multiply our efforts. If the model works, it makes
sense to ramp it up. That's what business people do
usually.

Allan would be the first to say that adding money to the
equation involves being more careful about your
business model.

Here's what can happen if we ignore that wise advice.

In 2000 I partnered with a brand name, listed on the NY
stock exchange, leader of their field, company with big
offices in New York City.

A series of pleasant and professional folks at
this outfit told me that if I grew my mailing lists to
the size that they are now, this team could generate
about $8,000 per month in net income for me.

Want a peak at this month's check? $120.

When I ask for specific examples of sites with $5
articles, or evidence that buying 1000 links will
actually get me traffic, and so on, I am treating it
like a business. If you don't bring some facts to
the bank, you don't get the loan.

Actually, the longer I am a newbie the more I get
the logic of the muddle many of us are in.

Perhaps it's possible to not be very informed, or very
eloquent, and still instinctively grasp the fact that
an industry full of sophisticated sellers are advising
you to make investments based on very little data.

Maybe the 80% who give up are treating it like a
business?

PS. Jewel, you've got me pegged, proving you're as good
of a reader as you are a writer. Circling the earth
at ten thousand feet, but I forgot to oil the wings.
Whoops!
Phil Tanny

Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:07 pm

Phil,
It's not a hobby, it's a business. :D
I would try Adwords (paid ads) in combination with Adsense: Increase your Adwords spendings according to your Adsense income. Cannot lose...
DatabaseDesigner

Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:21 pm

AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:44 pm

Phil Tanny

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:35 pm

Josh

Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:46 am

AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Back to Allan's original question ...

Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:08 pm

Allan, this is the first month I have bought some reciprocal links. Naturally, I am keeping a close eye on my results, so will be able to report something substantive in another 2-3 months. I've only invested $50 this first time, strictly as an experiment. And I consider it a bargain. The amount of time spent in getting links is much more costly than a few measly dollars. And it's amazing how many directories code their links so that they're worthless for search engine purposes. All the 'link partner identification" software in the world doesn't make the link gathering easy.
Sydney Johnston

PreviousNext

Return to Web Site Promotion