[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
anybody using 1and1.com? : Web Hosting

anybody using 1and1.com?

Thu May 13, 2004 3:14 am

Phil Tanny

Fri May 28, 2004 1:51 pm

sophist

Fri May 28, 2004 2:12 pm

Phil Tanny

Sat May 29, 2004 3:14 pm

speedguide

Sat May 29, 2004 3:28 pm

Phil Tanny

Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:36 am

I use the free version of 1&1, biz class, not dedicated.

The stats are absolutely terrible. I use statcounter.com to get some idea.

The control panel is terrific in terms of adding new domains especially. First-class, and especially nice since most hosts charge you a service fee for adding domains. Adding email addresses is nice too. In fact the CP is light years ahead of those I've used for other hosts.

Back-end availability is not very good (probably better on dedicated hosting). You cannot edit your own .htconf file. You only get one database, and they discourage its use. They don't even install phpmyadmin for you. On the other hand, php/mysql works very quickly (probably because everyone else is too discouraged to use it). You can't restart Apache or mySQL yourself.

The few times I've written customer support they have not been very helpful or responsive but again, I'm on the free package and I can understand that.

I wouldn't pay for non-dedicated hosting at 1&1, I think it's overpriced given that you have so little back-end control over your server. Dedicated could be a pretty good experience, though, I would guess.
blakekr

Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:27 am

Thanks all, here's a quick update on Angelnetworkz.net, the host I chose.

Here's the pricing for my account:

? 10GB space
? 300 GB bandwidth
? Fantastico
? cPanel/WH
? Monthly - $69.99
? Annually - $419.94

As explained here:
http://angelnetworkz.net/new/semi.html

I can set up as many domains as I want within the 10 gigs. That's $35/month for all the domains I want, as opposed to about $25/mo per domain at my old host.

It did take 2 weeks for them to set me up, but the owner (I always like situations where you get to deal with the owner) was apologetic (i happened to arrive at the same time as a big customer) and straightforward, and no BS excuses etc. And she gave me a free month, and a better payment plan in thanks for my patience.

No phone support, but email support seems fine. So far everything is working fine, but it's only been a week so that's not much of a report.

So far, so good, worth checking out, imho.
Phil Tanny

Return to Web Hosting