Is this a Good or Bad idea...

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:17 pm

I have a site [Site deleted - Moderator] and was thinking of using a forum section to allow anyone to post deals using links. This includes people who are affiliates. I would then repost the deals I thought were good on the front page as pins.

I have noticed however that most site don’t allow the posting of affiliate links (even this site), and was wondering why that was. Maybe it would not be a good idea, and if so I would appreciate someone telling me why.

Thanks…Lee
geoscout

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Lee,

Do take the time to read the Message Board Use Instructions. You'll see we allow a 300 character signature file which is adequate for promotions.

All you need to do is participate on the Board. We certainly won't tolerate a drop and run ad technique.

Wally Morgan - Moderator
administrator
Site Admin

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Wally-

Thanks, I did see that. I guess I was talking in a more general sense of using the forum to post affiliate links. That being said I absolutely understand why you don't want that here as the purpose of the forum is for communication, asking questions etc.

And that may be the main reason forums don't allow affiliate linking in the post body. I guess I want to make sure there is not another reason. So if I setup a deal site and allow people to post affiliate links as long as they are deal related, is there anything I should consider before moving forward this way.
geoscout

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

geoscout wrote:So if I setup a deal site and allow people to post affiliate links as long as they are deal related, is there anything I should consider before moving forward this way.

My guess is that you'll be swamped by spammers who won't bother reading your instructions.

That was our experience on this forum a few years back when we started a section for free ads. We fairly quickly deleted that section because it was too much work deleting the spam.

Good luck! I think you'll need it. :)
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks, and I am sure you are right, but I will give it a shot. If it get too insane I will just kill the Forum area.

Thanks for the responses.
geoscout

Re: Is this a Good or Bad idea...

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:40 am

geoscout wrote:I have a site [Site deleted - Moderator] and was thinking of using a forum section to allow anyone to post deals using links. This includes people who are affiliates. I would then repost the deals I thought were good on the front page as pins.

I have noticed however that most site don’t allow the posting of affiliate links (even this site), and was wondering why that was. Maybe it would not be a good idea, and if so I would appreciate someone telling me why.

It does not go to all forums, there are actually forums that allow affiliate links. You can hop in to FAQS.
lesa mitchell

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 am

Hi, its not really the good idea to insert link or post rather than you can read the instruction and forum rule. So we careful while posting or inserting signature in your post.
paisleystudios

Return to General Affiliate Discussion