[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[TS] - Blogging - can it be successful? : Promoting Your Blog

[TS] - Blogging - can it be successful?

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:00 pm

edburdo

Good points

Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:19 pm

mworthen

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:40 pm

Jewel

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:52 pm

DatabaseDesigner

Beautiful Web Site, Jewel

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:18 pm

mworthen

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:21 am

just want to add that I have also put a Blog on my site and it is my only number 1 in Google and I have now also got a page rank of 5 on it-which shows how much Google likes them and that they do get visited. It isn't necessary to have special software. I just write it in a table using the SBI textboxes and my own html .

LizB

Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:58 pm

See... proves me wrong. :)

Reading through these posts, I think a blog to go along with your content site would work (it obviously is for some of you). Just remember to get quality content in your blog.

As to the RSS feed... until SBI comes up with a RSS generating module, you would have to either:

a) blog outside of SBI and copy your content into SBI.
b) Blog in SBI and then get some program to externally process and syndicate your content.

I am not sure which would be better/easier. Probably b.

And remember, don't use JavaScript to include the RSS on your SBI site if you want it indexed. SE's don't spider the results of JavaScript.
edburdo

Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:12 pm

LizB

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:07 pm

Debs

Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:08 am

Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:27 am

LizB

Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:31 pm

Debs

Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:39 pm

Jewel

Using RSS with SBI

Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Jewel,

Here's what I wrote about using RSS with SBI in the previous thread ():

But how to do it with SBI?

I've come up with 2 possibilities:

1) Use MailByRSS:

http://www.iupload.com/product/mailbyrss.asp

I write my blog entry and put it on my SBI site. I copy and paste the HTML into an email and send it to MailByRSS which creates a web page with RSS feeds.

Visitors to my site can subscribe to the RSS feed or they can receive updates of blog entries via email. My ezine/newsletter will simply be a collection of recent blog entries.

Advantages: No cost since MailByRSS is free

Disadvantages: I don't think MailByRss automatically submits entries to blogging directories. They also do not have a community of RSS channels which other users browse.

2) Use Radio Userland ("Radio" for short):

http://radio.userland.com/

Write my blog using Radio, which automatically syndicates it to blogging directories and to other users in the Radio community. Copy-and-paste the blog entries onto my SBI site. I want the blog entries on my SBI site also, as opposed to simply referring my web site visitors to the Radio blog URL, so that my blog page is submitted and tracked by SBI.

Advantages: Presumably more exposure because of the popularity of Radio and the automatic syndication.

Disadvantages: Costs USD$39.95 for one year of service (they do have a 30-day free trial), although this price seems very reasonable given the quality of the service.

I hope this helps!

Mark
mworthen

Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:37 pm

My thoughts on the RSS. I would try and find a program that would syndicate your data externally.

HUH? Whats that mean?

Ok. Syndication is the process of taking your data, and converting it into a format that the RSS readers can use. Many BLOG packages offer this already. Since you cannot run any server-side scripting with SBI, you would need a program that would go "scrape" the content from your site, and convert it to a RSS feed.

You could find a company that does that for a fee. Or you could just get a cheap hosting package somewhere that allows server side scripting (such as PHP or Perl) and run it yourself. Just link your SBI site with this other site.
edburdo

Next

Return to Promoting Your Blog