killer article title

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:00 pm

i've been writing articles for quite sometime now, but in an online article, what makes a killer title that'd catch the reader's attention?

'hope you can share some ideas. thanks.
karrydee

Winning the World Series Without a Home Run

Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:49 am

IMHO "Killer title" is a myth.

You don't have to hit a home run every time you step to the plate. In fact you don't need to hit a home run at all. If you can manage to string together base hits you will win.

Here's what I mean. If you're writing an article about growing roses, a title like "Four Tips for Beautiful Roses" will attract some attention. I'd stay away from titles like "Article About Rose Growing" though. If the topic of your article is interesting and informative, it should be easy to come up with a simple title that says what the article is about. That will get people to read it.

I write on personal finance and one of my most successful titles was simply "A Dozen Money-Saving Tips". That's all the article was too, a list of 12 ways to save money.
cjscully

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:32 pm

thanks. the titles you suggested are pretty clear and sharp, directly getting to the point. i think it resonates with the readers' mindset these days. everybody wants quick and straighforward answers, no more dilly- dallying or beating around the bush.
karrydee

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:05 am

"killer Titles"..........great idea!!!!!!!! :P
to make it an interesting...........try to write adventurous experience which are related to practical life!!!!!!!!!!

hope you will get some great idea!!!

Regards,
harry [URL deleted - Moderator]
harryjone

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 am

It all depends on the niche, but the killer title should triger an emotional response (e.g fear, urge to buy the product, shame, motivation).

Something that the reader can relate to.
writely

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 pm

I think the title should be something which conveys half the meaning only. Now by that, it would at-least give a reason for the reader to click on the article and go through it, to fulfill his/her anxiety.
jamesotto

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:55 am

here is tip
The title should not be long, and should use simple English. While keywords are important in a title, do not stuff too much if it. A good set of keywords used wisely ensures that your title appears on the first page of search engine results. But the results of a search are read by humans, so the title should be positive and offer something to the reader.
nancyharger

Return to Article Writing and Article Directories