Color me Stupid - Clickbank Getting Free Money from Me

Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm a huge fan of WordPress. I'm also a huge fan of a plugin called Ninja Affiliate.

Unfortunately I've been working for several months now for FREE for Clickbank. And I didn't even know it. Because I've always cloaked links in the past for Clickbank. Used to work just fine.

So today I decided to go back through Clickbank and READ all the HELP FILES start to finish. While I'm not surprised that most people never read the actual terms of affiliate contracts... instead just getting links and hoping for the best, I'm the guy that actually likes to know what he's getting himself into... in short I like to make money.

So today I'm not a happy camper... AND IT'S MY FAULT.

If you remember one thing about the Internet it should be this... IT'S CONSTANTLY CHANGING.

So here is what happens... Affiliate Ninja uses FRAME redirects. Which Clickbank in their infinite wisdom has chosen to strip out affiliate codes from these framed redirects. Great for Clickbank... crap for people like me who like to TRACK EVERYTHING.

Don’t mask or store your HopLink in a frame. For your HopLinks to be properly tracked, they must not be stored in a frame. If your domain is masked, your HopLink will be stored in this manner, and therefore will be unreliable.

That's what Clickbank tells you. And it's easy to check... they even tell you how.

Just follow your own hoplink... click on the buy now and look for your affiliate nickname at the very bottom center of the page.

If you see this:

[affiliate = none]

You have been working... like me... FOR FREE!

And what is so pathetic is that I've been doing this for 15 years now... 10 full time, and this is how I make my living!

Thankfully other vendors allow redirects... but there are still pitfalls as security software strips out cookies, IE 8 has settings that will also strip out cookies.

LESSON LEARNED. Sometimes you are just better cutting and pasting code and letting things fall where they may.

bit.ly link shortner is working fine with clickbank for now.
InternetMarketingIQ

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:44 pm

I did not know about this.Thanks for sharing this useful information.I am also using bit.ly for promoting my clickbank program.
ishuvonet

Return to How to Earn More