Best way of hacking prevention?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Recenty my home biz website was hacked. They changed my home page via the Wordpress theme file.

My host advised me to change the theme, which I did. I've changed all my passwords on the host and on Wordpress, but I know there's a likelihood of it happening again. I find all instructions I find about it go right over my head as I am not technically minded.

Does anyone know the best way of making your website more secure?

Ros
writer-ros

Sat May 01, 2010 9:43 pm

search your directories. See if files are "open"... i.e. exposed. If they are you can upload a blank index.html to that directory.

Most hackers are just exploiting known loopholes... so keep your software up to date.

There is plenty of good information found by searching this phrase: "how to secure wordpress"
InternetMarketingIQ

Wed May 05, 2010 9:10 am

Thanks for this.

I have upgraded Wordpress to the latest version and I will check my directories.

Someone sent me a link to a website all about hacking and what to do about it - but I found the instructions so complicated and "technical" for my poor brain that I didn't feel I had done enough.

Cheers

Ros
writer-ros

Wed May 05, 2010 2:51 pm

You cannot make your site 100% hacker proof. Nobody can. But you can make it so difficult to get access that hackers leave your site and go to the next one.

In fact, we speak about 'hackers', but it's not the correct term.

Once a 'hacker' was a very bright computer user, who would do 'hacks', which could be short cuts or small programs to easy the daily work, or just for fun.

Most of what we call 'hackers' today, are just script kiddies. They find free scripts online to exploit loopholes in free scripts as WordPress, Joomla and others.

They have little knowledge about what they are doing. In fact, they are just running a script, somebody else made for them.

So they are pretty easily stopped, if you put up the right gates.

One of the most important things to do is to keep your software updated. Like you just did. Log into WordPress frequently, and update the script every time you see a new version. Some of the holes might have been closed.

Another thing is to make things non-default.

If you upload WordPress through FTP and install it with a browser, which is the normal non-Fantastico way of doing it, you'll have the smart login name "admin".

That means that one out of two unknown factors is now known to the scriptkiddie. He just have to find your password.

You can enter your database from your webhost's user-interface, and change "admin" to something else that only you know. This ads just one step more security to your blog.

But remember - you cannot make it hacker-proof. You can only make it difficult to enter.
BrittMalka

Wordpress security tips and hacks

Thu May 06, 2010 12:50 am

writer-ros wrote:Someone sent me a link to a website all about hacking and what to do about it - but I found the instructions so complicated and "technical" for my poor brain that I didn't feel I had done enough.

This website might be easier for you. Very understandable.

http://securewordpress.com
Jim167

Thu May 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone!

This has made things a lot clearer and simpler. Thanks very much for your help.

Ros
writer-ros

Re: Wordpress security tips and hacks

Sat May 08, 2010 6:59 pm

Jim167 wrote:
writer-ros wrote:Someone sent me a link to a website all about hacking and what to do about it - but I found the instructions so complicated and "technical" for my poor brain that I didn't feel I had done enough.

This website might be easier for you. Very understandable.

http://securewordpress.com

Thanks for sharing that url. I just went through every post and using almost every suggestion.
mporgsoft

Re: Best way of hacking prevention?

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:02 am

writer-ros wrote:Recenty my home biz website was hacked. They changed my home page via the Wordpress theme file.

My host advised me to change the theme, which I did. I've changed all my passwords on the host and on Wordpress, but I know there's a likelihood of it happening again. I find all instructions I find about it go right over my head as I am not technically minded.

Does anyone know the best way of making your website more secure?

Ros

I think you need to use generated password so no one can hack you sites.
Jamian

Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:42 am

If You Want to Prevent Your Site From the Hacker and You are a Developer then You must have to knowledge of SQL injection.SQL Injection is the open Gate for the Hackers.Through the SQL Injection hacker can Take Entry In to Your Website as a Admin.So try to avoid SQL Injection in your Website.f You area Good Coder then You have to Keep in Mind this Thing.
roserobin

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 pm

I guess it is creating a false air of insecurity. Furcadia systems are extremely safe, expecially after a year were not met. If he loses his character, more or less due to keylogging or share passwords. ALT and sale of bad things and that this choice, and evolution of email. Most of what is at fault. The trick to keep the alt is to keep your information to yourself. If piracy was a threat call as it is, then people could do the Guardians. To my knowledge this has not been done successfully.
joejohn11

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 pm

From the Internet I know about keylogging and provide personal information. For loggers, you press a link or button say they give you something and then start recording keystrokes. You can see what you do, and basically the only way to get rid of is reformatting.
ansomarin

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:13 am

I do not recommend using any ALT codes for your silkroad password.There are enough problems with accessing the Joymax site as it is without throwing that into the mix.A keylogger is a program that is sent to the victims computer in which logs every single keystroke you type on your computer.This includes everything from notepad files to your passwords on Firefox.
pedmills

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:04 am

before i used my first wordpress template i was told not to because there were frequently hacked. so i used wordpress on the sites that were more like parking sites. haven't had one problem though. i do keep the software up to date. i do run tests daily to see if anything has been hacked.
arenee

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:06 pm

i know this is an old thread but i would like to point out that Wordpress CAN be totally secure it just requires staying up with the updates and also the updates to the server OS

there is a service out there that will monitor all of this for a nominal fee :wink:
HostingArmor

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 am

You should implement firewall, firewall keep your computer for the hackers and virus. Make secure your policy. To prevent your computer for the virus, install anti virus software. Upgrade your operating system regularly. Install latest version of os. Get knowledge about network security.
panashmarshel

Next

Return to Web Hosting