xhtml standard and SEO optimisation

Wed May 27, 2009 3:01 pm

I validated some of our pages in a XHTML validator and i got some errors for some pages. I wonder whether this has some influence on the search engine spiders? Is it necesarry to get rid of all errors in order to get better indexing results?
ongamebonus

Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 pm

I doubt any pages are perfect. Nearly all pages have some errors. Matt Cutts has actually written about this topic, but I do not have a reference handy.

What matters is that your site is CRAWLABLE. Search Engines have a lot to deal with in order to index pages. And with Billions of Pages they are going to make decisions that drop off pages or omit them for other reasons.

Just focus on making sure that your sites are well constructed and can be easily crawled.
InternetMarketing_IQ

Thu May 28, 2009 9:54 am

Is there some tool to check if a specific page is crawlable? We allready made some major efford: our original site was completly made in flash, but that did not seem to be a good idea. We now converted it to html and we want to be sure that our efford gets rewarded..
ongamebonus

Thu May 28, 2009 5:16 pm

"http://seo-browser.com/" I put it in quotes because there are adsense blocks on the page.

It's basically what you are after. Search for "how to see what search engines see" or similar and experiment with site tools until you find a few you like.

It's also a good idea to join Google Webmasters (as much as I despise feeding the Google Machine) for information on what they are seeing direct from the source.
InternetMarketing_IQ

Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:28 pm

Clearly, the content is very important to search engine optimization. But equivalent code page to use external CSS and JavaScript and use of the format and semantics of the XHTML page optimization which is part of.
jacobshaw

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 pm

ongamebonus wrote:Is there some tool to check if a specific page is crawlable? We allready made some major efford: our original site was completly made in flash, but that did not seem to be a good idea. We now converted it to html and we want to be sure that our efford gets rewarded..

Have you tried using the Google Webmaster tool? Google will tell you of any issues related to your website and whether it finds broken links, issues with the loading speed of your website or other unforeseen problems that you might have missed?

In terms of code validation. It's not at all mandatory to have your website code validated to rank well on Google. There are a lot of invalid websites on its search results page. Validation, using external CSS and javascript goes back to usability and the loading speed of your website - this does not directly impact your crawlability or ranking.
evicta

Return to Do-It-Your-Selfers