Adding a regular page to web site

Tue May 26, 2009 1:01 am

I am using Wordpress Blog hosted on a separate domain. I used Filezella to upload a page,
affiliate link/btchecks.pdf. putting that in a browser resulted in a 404 page. After much playing around I added a folder and called it btchecks.pdf and put the page called btchecks.pdf in the folder. To acess that page I had to enter
affiliate link/btchecks.pdf/btchecks.pdf.

I think there is a better way than that, can someone show me what I am not doing correctly.
over59

Tue May 26, 2009 6:07 am

If your blog or website is called Example.com, you should be able to use FileZilla to upload a file called btchecks.pdf into your root directory. That's the directory in which sits the index file (your main page).

Then to go to that page you would just type...

Example.com/btchecks.pdf

...in your browser.

I'm a little confused though. You say you want to add a "regular page". A file called btchecks.pdf would be a PDF file, like an ebook or report. Is that what you want to upload?
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 pm

I'm a little confused though. You say you want to add a "regular page". A file called btchecks.pdf would be a PDF file, like an ebook or report. Is that what you want to upload?

Yes, it is a report I want to upload. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't know it made difference.
over59

Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 pm

over59 wrote:...I didn't know it made difference.

It doesn't really. Doing what I've described, you can use FileZilla to upload an HTML page or a PDF. I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were describing. :)

You need to fix the link in your signature file. You have two options. You can simply write it as a straight link, like this - http://www.example.com/report.pdf - and the forum software will automatically turn it into a clickable hyperlink. Or, you can click on Profile, scroll down to your signature box and click on the "BB Code" link to learn how to use BB Code, which many forums use.

The format for a link in BB Code is like this...

Code: Select all
[url=http://www.example.com]Write persuasive words here[/url]

Result of that code:

Write persuasive words here

BB Code is a little more trouble but you end up with a much more powerful link.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Return to Do-It-Your-Selfers