are different keywords in same ad group mutually exclusive?

Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 am

There's something I've been thinking about that needs to be cleared up.

I understand that the ad performance is based on several variables, including the bid price and CTR. However, what I'm not sure of is whether or not the individual keywords within the same adgroup can affect the performance of other keywords (ie. are the keywords correlated?)

For example: Imagine you have 5 keywords that are performing well (high impressions and good CTR). Now imagine I decide to add in 10 other keywords that do not perform well (0% CTR). Now clearly, this is not costing me anything since nobody is clicking on these keywords. But is it still costing me since the overall CTR of the entire adgroup has now fallen? By adding poor performing keywords, can that affect the better performing keywords?

I would guess this would be an important question to understand since it would determine the number of keywords to be used per adgroup (ie. 5 vs 20 vs 200 keywords).

Looking forward to hear what you think about this.

-Serge
sir_serge

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:01 am

Click through rate is a big factor in Quality Score, so if your CTR falls so too can your quality score.

Your individual keyword quality scores contribute to your overall "account quality score" so keywords that have lower CTR or quality score can pull the quality score of your whole account down (which in turn increases starting bids).

I'd also suggest you read this article, particularly the part under "Account Quality Score"

http://www.payperclicksearchengines.com/articles/113/1/Indirect-Quality-Score-Influences-%252d-Do-You-Know-Them%3F
Reena-SpeedPPC

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Outstanding advice once again Reena, thanks a lot! Your 5-part article series cleared up many things for me.

One thing that I've also noticed is that quite a few of my keywords are not showing because google has deemed my landing page as 'adult'. The thing is, it is a pre-sell page for a dating ebook, offering a dating advice to men as well as '*** advice' for men, so there are a few adult words (***, ******, etc) but the page is not intended to be an adult site (no explicit graphics, profanity, etc). Do you know the process of how google determines whether a site is classified as 'adult'? I thought if anyone would know it would be you.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all your help. Definitely gonna be looking into your SpeedPPC product.

-Serge
sir_serge

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:25 am

Google's view on adult content is that it still needs to be 'family-safe', which can be quite subjective. I've included a link to an explanation by Guillermo Bracciaforte of Adsense Publisher Support. It's as good an explanation of any I've seen, and it's clearer than Google's stated guideline so I hope it helps you.

http://adsense.blogspot.com/2007/11/pla ... -safe.html
Reena-SpeedPPC

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks for your help again, Reena. Does google actually have an automated system to determine whether a site is 'adult' (ie. by counting certain keywords, etc)? Or do you think that a real person actually checks out the site and decides?

I've tried to make my landing page more family oriented. I also deleted my campaign and started from scratch with a whole new list of keywords and new google ads. The problem now is that I think my estimated first page bid has become much higher, due to a bad google history. Google's first bid estimate was much lower on the keyword tool than the figures actually shown in my account.

Am I just better off getting a new account? I mean, if I have already run 3 campaigns, and I'm not really getting any clicks, doesn't that mean it's a bit of a disadvantage to actually continue making campaigs since my overall account quality score is probably very low.

Is it supposed to be this frustrating? I've spent 100 hours working this puppy, and I can't even get one sale. I mean, clearly I'm doing something wrong.

-Serge
sir_serge

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:23 am

Google's review process is a combination of automated and manual review. It's not that easy to keep starting new accounts and if there is a problem that is then repeated, you could wind up in a similar position. So I'd be inclined to contact them and try and get to the bottom of it - at least before starting a new account.
Reena-SpeedPPC

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:10 am

Technically speaking, individual keywords within adgroups CAN effect both CTR and quality score. You want to make sure the keywords are all very similar - if there are keywords that don't look like the others, create seperate adgroups for these keywords, which should increase both CTR and your quality score.
Getagrip7

Return to Paid Advertising