[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
Rolling your own vs. SBI : Web Hosting

Rolling your own vs. SBI

Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:00 am

I recently lost my free hosting of 165 domains thanks to an "Altavista Denial of Service Attack" (AV fired up over 200 simultaneous sessions to the site to spider 10 sites of 5,000 pages each -- and took down all the other sites on that server plus all the bandwidth. The hosting company was NOT amused...)

I now had the problem of where to host the new sites... I REALLY wanted to be able to use SBI, however, when I asked Ken's tech support people about hosting multiple domains from a single SBI site, they would have nothing to do with it.

This is NOT a technical problem we are talking about here -- the script to redirect each domain to a separate sub-folder off a site is absolutely trivial. It's a question of money, and a few minutes of effort. When I asked the non-technical person to dig deeper, I received no reply.

So, in the meantime, the sites are hanging in limbo, with over 6,000 uniques per day not producing a dime...

I did a search and discovered http://www.discountasp.net -- and that was it! :) Basic hosting is just $10/month, and a dedicated IP address with unlimited subdomains is $5/month. Hosting was set up and fully functional within seconds of submitting the credit card. The dedicated IP took a day to go through.

Although I haven't got the sites back up yet (my next major project), discountASP.net DOES allow scripting that will allow me to not only host all 165 sites off a single account -- but also (through the magic of .NET, SQL Server and XML) allow them all to be completely independent and dynamically generated from a database while appearing completely static (for the happy spiders).

I'm still kind of disappointed I couldn't use SBI -- it is a GREAT product, and one that I can highly recommend for anyone just entering the game -- however, the team doesn't really seem interested or helpful in anything 'outside the box', which is a real shame.

If you need 'industrial strength hosting' of more than a few domains -- I think most people will be stuck to roll your own...

Best regards all! Marty R. Milette...
milette

Sat Aug 09, 2003 11:52 am

I have two recommendations for you.

1) B A Port - http://www.redleif.com/ba-port.html

2) New Website - http://www.redleif.com/new-website.html

Although I like the fact that I get more domains from option 2, I am thinking about switching to B A Port this month. I spoke with their technical support and I received a response via email within 30 minutes. On a Sunday!

You might want to go with the 2nd route since you have about 160 more domains than I do atm. I have not done much research into the second company, so I can't say much about them, other than it looks good.

BA Port offers what they call "Big Bandwidth". As fas as I can see, they monitor your uploads (transfer) per month, but not your bandwidth. That is unlimited. NewWebsite has 10 or 20 gig of bandwidth. I am not sure how much bandwidth you would need for your sites....
edburdo

Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:35 pm

You should do some research on becoming a hosting reseller--it's ideal for hosting multiple independent sites. Typically you will find either Windows- or Linux-based companies.

I can recomend my provider, . They are Linux-based and their intro package is currently $30/month. Host any number of domains with shared or unique IPs--the only limitations are your 1gig space and 15gig bandwidth/month.

I think this reseller approach is probably a better solution for multiple domains than approaches based on sub- or addon-domains. And of course you could also sell some of your resources to cover your costs--or offer them as added-value to business colleagues.[/url]
Mike Feury

Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:10 pm

Just check to make sure that using your reseller privelages is not against the rules of the hosting company.

Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. In my case, with my current host, it is.
edburdo

Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:49 pm

kidino

Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:41 am

mlmhost

Return to Web Hosting