free website hosting

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:39 am

i registered for free at officelive.microsoft.com its completely free and look at how my site turned out. link is in the siggy. hope this helps. oh the free one is the basics. the other two are free for now but wont be later.
tuckingfypoz

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:21 am

hello,
and is this free hoster good?
What are the benefits?
Thanks
Onix

Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:44 pm

I came across this one http://www.doteasy.com/Services/WebHosting/
but I haven't tried it yet :oops:
Mesh

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:32 am

Free hosts are for spammers/programmers who know how to take advantage of the host system and for people who are not serious about business - the dabblers.

As cheap as webhosting is - no one with any kind of business plan would use a free host. Those days ended years ago.
InternetMarketing_IQ

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:12 am

Free hosting and web design look like....well, free hosting and web design. They look cheap! Nothing will crash your fledgling affiliate marketing career faster than a free hsoting account. You can smell them a mile away.

Don't have a few bucks for a paid account and decent website? Then, you probably shouldn't be in the affiliate marketing industry. Sorry to be so blunt about reality.

Sure, there are those who will tell you you can get into affiliate marketing with no money, but they either don't know what they are talking about or did it way back when...when it could be done. In today's affiliate marketing arena, your not going anywhere on nothing. Sorry.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:43 pm

I think there's one occasion when it may be OK to use free hosting - if you deliberately choose to make your site look like a hobby site.

This is working very well for me on one of my sites. However, I created it in 1996 and haven't tried the tactic recently. If someone does, I'd love to hear success stories, if any.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:01 am

from free hostings i think very good is freehostia.com ;)
skrachs

Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:27 pm

Some free hosting sites are good, ive got a free account with awardspace and make money through it, they dont have any adverts on, you dont have to link back and they allow you to run your own ads on there, it supports php and you get a sql database with it.

Ideal for a wordpress blog with a nice template.
falling_up

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:41 am

You can check with http://www.42mb.com too.
albert

Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:48 am

Hmm.

There's a difference between folks who choose free hosts because they're just messing around, and those who are indeed serious, but really do have severely limited finances.

There are many people out there who are thoroughly broke, and it's not their fault. Illness, disability, divorce, car accidents, job was outsourced overseas etc.

Such a person could arrange free hosting with a serious host, if that person themselves is truly in need, and is truly serious about changing their situation.

How? Be prepared to prove you're serious, and be patient.

How do you prove you're serious?

Write a _quality_ 100 page website before you contact a webhost to request special consideration. Write the book before you print it.

Demonstrate that you have a promotion plan.

Wait! Before you toss a bunch of vague promotion ideas at the host, run your plan by more experienced webmasters on this forum. Dump the junk ideas, before you contact the host.

You're going to need to do both these things eventually anyway, so this doesn't involve any extra work at all.

It's just a matter of getting the cart before the horse, a procedure non-serious authors never bother to do.

Where do you find a serious host who will consider your proposal?

Right here, see my sig.

I have no interest in giving free accounts to people who aren't determined to succeed. No interest.

But if you are truly in need, and truly serious, I'll work with you until your site is making enough money to pay the hosting bill.

You can return the favor by inspiring me with your determination and success, and allowing me to share your success story.
Publisher-For-You

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Free Webhosting in my opinion is OK in certain situations. As long as it doesn't [email protected]@K Free & cheesy then it just might work for you in certain instances. In my opinion your survey site is cool - at least for now. BUT BEWARE you are never completely in control of your website. Your free webhost could go bellyup in the blink of an eye.

And also another thing to think about is that their features can be extremely limited. Also they may jumble up your site with all type of ads of 'theirs'.

OfficeLive doesn't look bad at all to me. I registered with them also (needed a credit card to do so just to verify funds I guess in case you decide to upgrade or something). But yet & still although OfficeLive offers a Free site version without adverts, I still wouldn't build a major site with any free webhost (if at all). If I did go with a free webhost for a topic, I would keep that site five pages or less...so that I can easily move it without too much hassle if I needed to Quick, Fast & In A Hurry!

Word of Advice: Back-up all your content in word or elsewhere if you decide to use a free webhost because your content and 'host' could disappear without a trace! (and there wouldn't be a thing that you could do to that host even if you found them - because you knew from the start that it was FREE! And sometimes FREE COSTS!!)
multimastery

True Free Hosting...

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:28 am

is difficult to come by. I am confident my company is one of the few that offers it for real. Check it out in the signature if you're interested.
freedomainfactory

Re: free website hosting

Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:28 am

tuckingfypoz wrote:i registered for free at officelive.microsoft.com its completely free and look at how my site turned out. link is in the siggy. hope this helps. oh the free one is the basics. the other two are free for now but wont be later.

sounds too good to be true. if you register free websites usually with subdomains but looks like yours don't have so I will take a peep.
mitosblog

Free Hosts, My Sites Dissappeared

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:05 pm

I tried 3 free webhosts. They used to display adds along with my pages. I uploaded hundreds of megabytes of good google friendly content. They did not let it run long enough to be indexed and trafficked. They dissapeared one by one. My site would keep running, but it would be empty all of a sudden. I gave up. It is much nicer to pay $6 and run unlimited number of small websites on of the reputable hosting companies: http://www.webhosting-picks.com

Nowadays anything serious needs a database and php or similar scripting go with it so free hosting does not cut it unless you need a 5 page placeholder website to say you have web presence.
goodyboo

Still useful in this case

Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:17 pm

I write software using microsoft tools. These tools generate html documentation that uses links, images in mixed case characters and for example an image url may not use the exact character case as the image file itself. This works fine on Windows machines where file system is case insensitive. But I normally host on linux machines. My documentation does not work if i host them on the same machines as my websites. So I find free windows hosting and place my docs there and provide a link to it. They display ads with my pages then but it's better than paying to host few pages of auto generated docs.

Example: On this page: http://www.bestcode.com/html/bcparser_net.html if you search for the link "documentation of bcParser.NET" that link will take you to a free host on http://e.domaindlx.com/bestcode/bcParsernetdocs/bcParser.NET/bcParser.NET.HTM which right now is not working :) oh well, this is what you get for free.

I need to fix my docs to host on linux I am afraid. Does anybody knows a tool that can fix my urls use correct character case for the resource they link to?

Thanks.
GM
goodyboo

Next

Return to Web Hosting