Wordpress

Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:04 am

Why do people prefer Wordpress? I'm probably missing something, but it seems Blogger lets you mess with the code whereas Wordpress doesn't.

Also, does anyone use Godaddy to host? I've heard Wordpress doesn't work well with them.
fahren

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:41 pm

Wordpress is much more flexible. Many add ons which turn it into a much more flexible content management system.

You really don't mess with the code in Blogger, you make html and tag changes to the template.

I'm not knocking Blogger, I use it and WP. You just have to be aware of Blogger's limitations. I use Blogger for archive sites for newsletters mostly.

For hosting your WP blogs, most cpanel hosts offer Fantastico with one click install of WP and lots of other good stuff. GoDaddy does not use CPanel on their shared hosting plans, so no easy install.

Should be a no brainer to ftp a blogger blog to goDaddy shared hosting though, all you need to know is your ftp info.
Lowell

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:03 am

Wordpress offer the same flexibility if not more. There are probably literally thousands of plugin and add-ons for wordpress that can extend the funtionality of your blog. I love it. Wish I had learned about it earlier.

Sunshine
Sunshine

Re: Wordpress

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:18 pm

fahren wrote:Why do people prefer Wordpress? I'm probably missing something, but it seems Blogger lets you mess with the code whereas Wordpress doesn't.

Also, does anyone use Godaddy to host? I've heard Wordpress doesn't work well with them.

Wordpress is nice. Yes. It will spend no more than 2 MB on your webserver. Wordpress store everything on MySQL database, so it will load your website quickly, and no need to republish or rebuild everytime you've made changes.

Wordpress works well at GoDaddy. But, if you choose "Economy Plan" hosting, editing permalink (.htaccess) will not allowed. Upgrade it to "Deluxe" or "Premium" hosting plan and leave your Wordpress error-free. Otherwise, give Dreamhost a try, the most favorite hosting provider for blogging.

Sunshine wrote:Wordpress offer the same flexibility if not more. There are probably literally thousands of plugin and add-ons for wordpress that can extend the funtionality of your blog. I love it. Wish I had learned about it earlier.

Yes. I do agree with Sunshine. Wordpress offer a lot of plugins as well as themes. A friend of mine designed his website pretty well using Wordpress. His website wasn't really looks like a blog, but looks like a "normal" websites.

I have been using pMachine, Nucleus, Drupal, Mambo/Joomla, PHPNuke/PostNuke, and other content management system on my local server. According to my experience, Wordpress is the winner for PHP/MySQL-based content management system. But, if you have more technical knowledge, I would suggest you to try TextPattern.

Lowell wrote:You really don't mess with the code in Blogger, you make html and tag changes to the template.

I'm not knocking Blogger, I use it and WP. You just have to be aware of Blogger's limitations. I use Blogger for archive sites for newsletters mostly.

Previously, I've been using Blogger for quite a while. Making post category and put "read more" tag really confused me. Also, if you have a lot of post, rebuilding your site really waste your time and leave some error if your internet connection wasn't really good.

PS: This is my first post. So sorry for my bad English. :lol:
redhead

Re: Wordpress

Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:10 pm

fahren wrote:WI'm probably missing something, but it seems Blogger lets you mess with the code whereas Wordpress doesn't.

Are you looking at Wordpress.com, or wordpress.org?

There is a difference. WP.com lets you host a blog for free. They are a competitor of Blogger. You have limited control over what you can do there.

Wordpress.org is where you go to download your own copy of WP to install on your own host. Then you can customize it as you like.
edburdo

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 am

WordPress is valuable for the newbies who want to publish their web page. WordPress does not need any specific know-how of any language like HTML, CSS, etc. It is easy to make a web page using WordPress. It is also actual that WordPress will control your earnings. To produce profits you have to set up wordpress.org program on your own manager.
Steve Smith

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:22 pm

WordPress is very popular among the bloggers. Why? Because is very easy to manage and is so friendly. They have access to many high quality tutorials and even without help another people they can create a page or blog. Cms provides everything what they need. At Bktemplates.com you can find a lot nice free WordPress templates and create new - different than another.
natyk

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm

The problem about Wordpress is probably the initial installation that could stop newbies using it.

So they "fear" this software and prefer more "ready to use" systems.

But Wordpress, after the installation, is very easy, all is managed through templates and plugins that multiply the options of this system.

Wordpress options are really infinite, you can do pratically anything with the right plugin.
Jake The Competition Man

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:59 am

Word press is a good site for us to make a good websites.
paisleystudios

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:32 am

Wordpress and blogger both are equally good and it is all up to our nature which one we like. Yes it is the difference that we can make changes in codes in blogger what we can find the plugins for same work in wordpress. So according to me both are very good and different from each other. We have to face some issues with both but they are the best blogging platform available for newbies as well as for experts.
adityasingh

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:53 am

Wordpress is faster and more reliable compared to other blog dashboard.
Erin Nagata

Return to Blogging For Beginners