Making a Blog website

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:27 am

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into the possibility of making a "Blog" website. Anyone have any recommendations on where to start or on how I could make one, etc ?

Thanks!
dansbanners

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:26 am

you can create a good free blog at wordpress
mastermind

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:38 am

If you are doing it to earn an affiliate income, you are probably better off registering a URL, getting some hosting and installing wordpress.
Rob_TID

Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:54 am

Ok, thanks for your replies. I appreciate it!

Hmm, which brings the next question, what is wordpress and how can I have access to it ?

Thanks again!
dansbanners

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 am

OK, go buy a www and some hosting. You need to find a host who offers cpanel. (most do, but I use siteground.com)

After that is set up, the address of your cpanel will be "www.yoursite.com/cpanel"

Click the "Fantastico" icon.

Click on Wordpress.

Follow the prompts to install the blog.

Congratulations, you now have a wordpress blog.
Rob_TID

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:09 am

Dan,

Wordpress is a great blogging platform that you can use to host your own blog. It can be downloaded here: http://wordpress.org/download/. You can do lots of things with wordpress free plugins that you may not be able to do with other blogs. Just have a look at this plugin database and you'll see all the added features that you can add to wordpress: http://wp-plugins.net/. But if you're just starting out, you may just want to start with the basic set-up first until you get a feel of things.

Summer
Sunshine

Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Based on my experience, it would be much better if you buy your own domain. Installing Wordpress or other content management system is a good idea. Just stick with it, and you will not need FrontPage or Dreamweaver anymore. Do some tweak/hack to improve your website, write some good content, and start promoting your website.

Just do it. And enjoy it. :lol:
redhead

Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:55 pm

You can get your feet wet without spending any money by starting with a blogger blogspot blog. Then once you have some content it is easy to import the posts from a blogspot blog into Wordpress installed at your own domain. There is a blogger (and others) import function built into Wordpress.

Regards,
Lowell

Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:51 pm

Lowell wrote:You can get your feet wet without spending any money by starting with a blogger blogspot blog. Then once you have some content it is easy to import the posts from a blogspot blog into Wordpress installed at your own domain. There is a blogger (and others) import function built into Wordpress.

Regards,

A word of warning about THIS blogger import tool.
Sometimes it DOES NOT WORK.

A friend of mine had a webcomic published on blogger. He decided to switch to a personal domain with wordpress, so we tried the import function: 2 years and half of comic strips. The last 6 months (the recent ones) where not imported.

And we had to import them by hand.

If you felt some disturbance in the force last month, it was me and my friend swearing against blogger (for not providing an export function, and NO, the FTP publishing is not a real solution) and wordpress (because of the ineffective support).

So my heartful advice is "get you own domain and blog" if you have your "brand".

And finally the two versions of the comic strip (sorry they are in italian)

http://zorflick.blogspot.com/

http://zorflick.shockdom-store.com/
garethjax

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:08 pm

garethjax,

I think anyone should back up all posts before they do any importing, no matter where they are imported from. Should have said that from the get go.

At least your friend didn't have to go through losing anything. Sorry for you and your friend's trouble. I just imported over 30 posts from a blogspot blog to Wordpress with no problem. They were all text articles though.

Doing it all by hand IS a pain. In my import, I did have to go back and manually add categories to all the posts, but it only took fifteen minutes or so in the WP control panel.

Regards,
Lowell

Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:01 pm

Lowell wrote:garethjax,

I think anyone should back up all posts before they do any importing, no matter where they are imported from. Should have said that from the get go.

At least your friend didn't have to go through losing anything. Sorry for you and your friend's trouble. I just imported over 30 posts from a blogspot blog to Wordpress with no problem. They were all text articles though.

I suppose problems happens when you go beyond some limits (about 150 posts i think, but it was quite random).

And i fully agree with you, but as far as i know blogger does not provide a backup tool of any sort.

Another word of warning: BACKUP YOUR TEMPLATE!
That's probably the only part of blogger you can safely copy as an html page.
Why ? Because the import plugin modifies the template in order to import the posts. Should the process not finish correctly (as per our case), your blogger template is lost.

Just my 2 cents :)
garethjax

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:56 pm

Hey dansbanners,

Once you've set-up your WP blog, it's time to configure it.

I used http://wordpresstutorials.com/ to help me do this = lifesaver!

And I used http://www.semiologic.com/ for the templates.

Good luck!
Scotty Stevens

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 am

Firstly decide your niche and create a catchy blog name as well as domain name. This is important as your blog name will act as a bait to attract people to your site, so make it catchy, memorable, and short. You can easily build an online presence and build your business. Note I said the word easily because at the end of the day, when you know what you are doing anything is easy.
charlene

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:06 pm

for blogs i think you try Word press it is very nice most of people like worpress
desertman909y

Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Charlene and Desertman,

Do you think it is practical to reply to a 2006 topic?

Last edited by administrator on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
administrator
Site Admin

Next

Return to Blogging For Beginners