Anyone know how to use Wordpress?

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:51 pm

Wordpress only comes with two themes, and trying to customize them is a nightmare, unless you understand a bunch of code. Is there an easier way to customize one of these themes?

Thanks,

Dan
dnb700

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:19 pm

what exactly do you want?
Varun
varunpratap

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:23 pm

You can upload new themes into Wordpress.
robertb

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:38 pm

Hi Dan,

There is a lot of good information available on the main Word Press site. Also have a look through the Word Press forum. If you have a specific question it has more than likely been asked there already.
Declan OReilly

Re: Anyone know how to use Wordpress?

Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:32 am

dnb700 wrote:Wordpress only comes with two themes, and trying to customize them is a nightmare, unless you understand a bunch of code. Is there an easier way to customize one of these themes?

Thanks,

Dan

There are plenty of themes available, and easy to use - brief info here. This is specifically based on my experience with Wordpress 1.5 (2.0 may have some minor changes, not sure). I'm assuming you have your own domain / subdomain, and ftp access to your site; if you don't or have any other issues, pl. post back here and I'll try to help out.

There's a huge list of themes available at

http://blogging.typepad.com/how_to_blog/2005/03/comprehensive_l.html - take a look and choose whichever you want.

More at
http://www.alexking.org/index.php?content=software/wordpress/themes.php

Also a theme browser at

http://www.alexking.org/software/wordpress/theme_browser.php

Once you've selected the theme you want, download the zip file to your PC, unzip and extract it to a new subdirectory. Usually the files are in a separate directory named the same as the theme name, and this should get created under the new subdirectory- if it doesn't and all files are in your subdirectory you can rename your new subdirectory to the theme name.

Now use your ftp upload utility to go over to your site, start at the directory where you have wordpress installed. Under that, you'll see a subdirectory named "wp-content". Inside this, you'll find a sub directory named "themes".

You have to upload your new theme subdirectory under the "themes" subdirectory : Pl. note that each theme must be in it's own directory.

Now exit from the ftp, login to wordpress, and under "Presentation", you should see your new theme listed. Choose this as your default, and you're done.

Best wishes.
2cworth

Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:52 am

Hi 2cworth, Thank you!

I reckon we should use your post as a perfect example of the correct way to make a really helpful, useful post on a forum. :)
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:45 am

Wordpress can be a little daunting :-) I had very limited experience in PHP when I first started with Wordpress. With persistence it has paid off.

I downloaded a theme that I liked and changed its colors to suit my blog. As mentioned by 2cents I highly recommend the list of Emily Robbins. It contains over 700 wordpress themes.

She has spent hours compling this list
http://www.emilyrobbins.com/how-to-blog ... ad-266.htm.

Good luck
donnah

Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 pm

With Artisteer you can discover WordPress possibilities. This tool let you create all kind of page.
natyk

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 pm

ok, I was reading this thread hoping to find interesting ideas to study.

and this suggestion (Artisteer) seems more cool than I thought.

so I checked it. for $49.95 for the home edition you have the complete software ready for Wordpress (except some font schemes, colors, textures that are for the standard version only, but it costs a lot more).

This price $49.95 is a lot interesting for the value of the software, so thanks for your suggestion.
Jake The Competition Man

Return to Blogging For Beginners