[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
How do you host your own Blog? : Blogging For Beginners

How do you host your own Blog?

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:41 pm

I have a blog that I'd like hosted from my own site. I downloaded a free FTP site and I know where I have to go on blogger site to publish my blog to my site but I don't know how to adress each part to get my blog to be published on my site.
ghernandez

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:42 pm

edburdo

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:16 pm

ghernandez

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:29 pm

A Blog won't magically draw traffic. You have to post useful content on your blog frequently. Just like you should be doing on your website.

A blog is just another style of website. It is often written in a different "voice" from a more convention website.

But, if your not updating your website regularly with content people want, a blog isn't going to help much.
edburdo

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:22 pm

ghernandez

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:36 am

edburdo

Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:45 am

2cworth

Blogger + Wordpress

Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi ghernandez...

RE: Blogger blog publishing to your own URL such as domainname.com/blog can be done just like how 2cworth said.

Here are some simple steps:
1. Login to your Blogger account

2. In "Settings > Publishing" you can choose to publish via FTP

3. Fill in the necessary fields - if need help, check with your host acct support.
Below are some sample answers...
a. FTP Server: www.domain.com
b. Blog URL: www.domain.com/blog
c. FTP Path: /domain-www/blog/
d. Blog Filename: index.html
e. FTP Username: yourftpusername
f. FTP Password: yourftppassword
Notify Weblogs: Yes

Then Click "Save Settings".

Go to "Settings > Archiving" and fill out necessary fields.
Below are sample answers...
a. Archive Frequency: Daily
b. Enable Post Pages?: Yes
c. Archive Path: /domain-www/blog/archive/
d. Archive URL: http://www.domain.com/blog/archive/
e. Archive Filename: archive.html

Then Click "Save Settings".

Go to "Settings > Site Feed" and fill out necessary fields.
Below are sample answers...

a. Publish Site Feed: Yes
b. Descriptions: Full
c. Site Feed Server Path: /domain-www/blog/
d. Site Feed Filename: atom.xml
e. Site Feed URL: http://www.domain.com/blog/atom.xml

Click "Save Settings".

Throughout this process, I believe Blogger will ask if you want to Publish or Re-Publish - yes, you want to publish using these new settings to your own URL now.

I started out using Blogger (blogspot.com), then FTPing to my own URLs (domain.com/blog), then graduated to Wordpress as I found that Blogger frustrated me to no end because:
1. Publishing was super slow at times - watching paint dry was faster ;-)

2. I was dependant on Blogger, so if their server was down/slow, so was my publishing.

3. If I wanted to add categories to the sidebar navigation, it would mean having to go into the code to add it. Wordpress offers categorization by default - and even sub-sub-categories.

4. I had no control - if Blogger (Google Big Brother) decided they didn't like what I was posting, they could easily shut my account down - and I'm sure we have a few members in this forum who can attest to that. Wordpress blogs are on your own server/host account - and you have full control and publishing rights.

5. Capabilites - was far superior using Wordpress - from its plugins, strong user community, strong developer community, comprehensive documentation, categorization, speed in publishing as it uses MySQL database, easy 1-click install using cPanel, lots of themes, and lots of freedom.

I'm actually in the process of writing an comparitive report for Allan G right now comparing Wordpress to Blogger.

I've also created a video comparison of the two blogging systems - actually it also includes Movable Type and Typepad also. Here's the video URL: www.wordpresstutorials.com/battleoftheblogs

Hope this helps you out with your Blogger questions, and if you want to graduate to Wordpress, the posse here and I recommend it.

Cheers!
shermanhu

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:30 am

Sherman

That's a great reply. Btw, your videos and ezine are awesome - been on your list for a couple of months now, great going.
2cworth

Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:05 am

shermanhu

Re: Blogger + Wordpress

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:31 pm

Last edited by The One on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The One

Re:Blogger blog publishing to your own home site.

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:58 am

Mr shermanhu,

Millions's of thanks for your wonderful reply.
It has saved me a lot of hour's of digging and seeking around for the
answer.

I wish u all of the sucess on the net!
Eleni Anastasiadou

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:02 am

Thanks Eleni! Appreciate your well wishes ;-)
shermanhu

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:43 pm

brathamike

Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:43 am

varunpratap

Next

Return to Blogging For Beginners