[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4857: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
Google Being Blamed for Phony Blogs : Blogging For Beginners - Page 2

Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:17 pm

Phil Tanny

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:02 pm

I want to agree.
Blogs were fun at first but now, webmasters only use them to pull traffic to their websites. I call it blog abuse. Does google has any policy on blogging?
SunnyD

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:51 pm

Bobby

Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:57 pm

Bobby

Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:59 pm

Phil Tanny

Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:16 pm

Take a wider view...

A blog is just a simple CMS system with RSS that anyone can use.

Blogs don't own RSS, every single CSS system, and SBI for that matter uses RSS.

The WSJ and every other major news outlet uses RSS feeds for content, which they subsequently add to their own feeds.
Most of these sites for instance don't write their own book reviews, and most use services like AP.

Almost every article directory has an RSS feed, yet I am sure everyone in this discussion submits articles for publication in article directories.

This is what I am doing.

I select a whole load of 3rd party articles, wrap it with suitable keywords, and feed them to blogs.

All the content has been through at least 1 human quality control check, quite often 2 or 3.

The autors wrote the articles to get seen, and to get backlinks.

My article niche sites have just one feed, an article directory site may have 100+

Thus I regard what I am doing is not splog, but in many ways is like a highly targetted niche article directory.

Whether I automate the process or not is irrelevant.

Blog and Ping is more controversial, but can be equally justified.

Imagine you have a large content site and recently discovered RSS. Your competitors have been using RSS for a while, thus every bit of their content has already been fed into the ether.

Your content is equally relevant to your competitors.

I think such a website could be highly justified in adding RSS to their sites, automatically feeding all new content naturally, and also gradually adding their archives to the feeds.

But how fast should they be allowed to do it?

Say they have a 10,000 page site, full of quality articles. They would have to add at least 1 existing page to their RSS feed every hour to have it all available within a year.

Some might argue that this is a bit too slow, and that they should be allowed to do it in 1 month.

Thus they would have to add 1 article every 6 minutes.

This process is effectively blog and ping, just sanitized without the marketing slant, where someone has created such a site overnight (it could be equally good content), and then overdoes it with the blog and ping.

Now the WSJ article focused initially on blogs made up of randomised words, just junk.

If you drag other forms of RSS usage into the arguement and categorisation as splog, you may just find you are guilty of it yourself, and that every major player on the internet is guilty of it as well.

If I have taken articles from various article directories for republishing, who is to say they are not high quality. Often these articles are written by experts in their field, and they want to be republished.
Sure they would prefer me to send their article to a 500,000 mailing list than add it to a niche blog, but a backlink is a backlink.

Now I was slightly worried that Google had taken things too far the other day on Blogger. XML-RPC stopped working for a number of my blogs, and I started seeing captchas.

Now a few days later my content is being posted fine, and all those posts that did not appear had actually been cached.

I believe Google took drastic action because someone obviously was being abusive, and then eased off the restrictions.

At the time I was only posting 4 articles per day maximum to any blog. Hardly excessive and in my opinion not abuse.
AndyBeard

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:35 pm

I don't know. You have to wonder where the boundaries are.
I don't mean what is abuse, and what is not. I have no idea really.

I just wonder at what point we get so efficient at dumping content on the Web and then making it go around and round faster and faster that readers just start tuning the whole thing out.

Say our local newspaper tossed a new issue on our driveway 19 times a day. At what point do we throw up our hands and say this is ridiculous?

What's the logical outcome of no barriers to entry married to ever more efficient publishing and recycling technology?

It seems we're heading towards a Net where each of us will be able with one click to republish every word we (or anybody we know about) have ever written on to every web site on the planet, nine times a day.

It's nobody's fault really, all this power and opportunity is brand new and it's to be expected we'd go hog wild with it.

But I hear a pendulum swinging over our heads and wonder when the backlash era begins...

If our product is info, are we flooding the market with it and driving the perceived value down to zero?
Phil Tanny

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Charlie

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:48 pm

Phil Tanny

Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:24 pm

Charlie

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:51 am

Phil Tanny

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:11 am

Another thought provoking post Phil.

What made the net exciting, namely very little barriers to entry, has also made it a commercial cesspool not unlike the lowest common denominator TV we watch blankly on the tube.

The idea of watching more of the same on a computer screen is mind boggling.

So we have TV on demand, publishing on demand, push button web site and blog creation and still the quality seems to get worse!

I don't get it?
Declan OReilly

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:44 am

Phil Tanny

Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:51 pm

Charlie

Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:54 pm

Phil Tanny

PreviousNext

Return to Blogging For Beginners