[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
Question Re: Sub-Domain & Mirror Site : Web Hosting

Question Re: Sub-Domain & Mirror Site

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:55 pm

ramon3309

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:38 am

Charlie

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:48 pm

Yes, it always bears asking. I have a personal, painful, story about just that topic.

I was (still am) promoting the eBay affiliate program. For a long while I had various sections of my site highlighting and promoting auction categories that were themed with my site, and I put clumps of pages as unique pages. I including them in a sub-folder I named ebay-search to be not only indicative of what it was, but hopefully to draw traffic, so my url was something like:
http://mydomain.com/ebay-search/widgets.html

Later, I received a general email from eBay (not directed specifically to me) updating their TOS saying that the name eBay (and other trademarked terms) could not be used in a URL, so I took the trouble to rename the ebay-search folders and update all the links to point to the new folder. Thousands of links to change. Worst of all, traffic plummeted.

A year or more later, I was surfing and noticed one of the top 3 for a really competitive search term that included ebay in it was from an obvious affiliate site. I went to the url, and they had the page in a folder that included ebay in the name, exactly like I used to before my change. In checking out more of the top 10 results, another affiliate was doing the same thing.

I went back and looked at the TOS again and it still said ebay couldn't be in the URL, but I decided I should email the company for clarification. After a couple days I received a reply back from eBay that even though the TOS says "ebay" cannot be in the URL, what they really meant was that "ebay" cannot be in the domain name or sub-domain name, but that my proposed use of it in a sub-folder was perfectly acceptable.

Who would have thought that a company as large as eBay, with so many corporate lawyers, and probably quite a large affiliate support department, could write their TOS specifically saying that their trademarked terms could not be used in a URL, and not mean exactly that?

So much traffic lost for so many months, I should have emailed to begin with I suppose, but I figured they said what they meant, and they meant what they said, how does the rest of the verse go?
mdmsports

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Charlie

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:31 pm

robertb

Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:18 pm

ramon3309

Return to Web Hosting