[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4848: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4850: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4851: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4852: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3948)
micfo.com : Web Hosting

micfo.com

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 am

In earlier posts across the forum I have recommended the web host micfo.com.

With regret I must report that I can no longer stand behind this recommendation.

I'm sure they are still better than many hosts, and for the time being I am still with them, but I've learned enough now that I can no longer suggest them to others.
Phil Tanny

Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:54 am

Hi Phil

Could you please elaborate on this at all...Why the change of heart?

Just a little concerned as I just signed up for 12 months hosting with them ;-)

Thanks
Scott
scotto

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:54 pm

10 years on the Net, I should know better than to go around recommending any web host. Completely my fault, so as you can I see, I'm not perfect either.

To bore you with a few details:

If you have a reseller account at Micfo (or many other hosts) you'll have a Web Host Manager control panel that shows you the status of various services on the server. It's actually a great tool, because it gives you info that previously only the web host had access to.

Anyway, I started experiencing some minor troubles to Micfo. When the troubles persisted over time I started checking in with WHM before submitting support requests.

WHM is routinely reporting my server as being overloaded, that is, too many requests upon the processor.

I'll report the issue to Micfo, and always get a speedy reply, and fix.

For today.

A day or two later, here we go again. Been going on for weeks now.

Now more serious problems are developing, and I'm still getting one sentence replies telling me everything is fine.

Observations:

If you have a small problem, or any problem that can be easily fixed, it will be attended to promptly. Micfo does a good job of responding in a timely fashion to support requests.

However, if the problem is part of an ongoing pattern, the Micfo team does not seem to have anyone in place who can see this big picture. Each tech fixes the problem at the moment, and the next time you report the problem, it's back to square one. Bumping the issue up to an admin doesn't work either, as they take the same approach.

I can certify that Micfo isn't able to auto monitor the load on their servers, tho the sales literature and sales people insist otherwise. If they are monitoring, why am I always the first to find the overload?

I'm still impressed by the speedy, if incomplete, replies. And the free Urchin stats. I'd still rate Micfo as above average, and my account remains there for now. But I've abandoned plans to rent servers from them, as I refuse to put myself in the middle between paying customers and the system they have in place.

I'm not on an anti-Micfo campaign, just withdrawing my endorsement.

Imho, it's not a good idea to pay ahead a year with anybody. I almost did that at the last host, and 30 days later they went belly up, vanished from the face of the earth, taking a lot of people's money with them. I didn't get burned, just educated.

I'm not suggesting you panic, but now that you've given up all your leverage, you may want to monitor performance yourself, as I'm not sure Micfo is up to the job.

If you bought Micfo based on one of my posts, and it doesn't work out, please let me know and I'll try to make it up to you somehow.

PS. None of my earlier recommendations were affiliate links.

Hope that's helpful, if you have additional questions let me know.
Phil Tanny

Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:57 am

scotto

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:38 pm

Phil Tanny

Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:42 pm

Phil Tanny

Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:09 pm

PPS: I've decided I'm not going to be able to accomplish my plans unless I have a good relationship with at least 2 different hosts.

If something goes wrong at Host A, I'll already have a tested preapproved backup plan in place, an open account at Host B.

Hosting is so cheap compared to the income of any serious enterprise, this extra expense seems justified.

And, I'm narrowing the field considerably by focusing my search on women owned hosting companies. The clever young dude thing has pooped me out.

I've already found one candidate who is very experienced, and who communicates extensively like an adult pro.
Phil Tanny

Return to Web Hosting