9%
61 to 70
1%
71 and over
No votes
Mind your own business
1%

Total votes : 76

Is affiliate marketing a young man's game?

Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:35 pm

Is affiliate marketing a young man's (or woman's) game?

With a few obvious exceptions, it certainly seems like it round here, at times!

Whether this is the next stage of a midlife crisis on my part, I dread to think, but I'd love to hear the views of anyone old enough to remember...

As for the young pups out there - well if you must answer... :wink:
Charlie

Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:35 am

Interesting thread idea Charlie. 53 this month.
Phil Tanny

Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:48 pm

Phil Tanny wrote:Interesting thread idea Charlie. 53 this month.

Goodness - you're old enough to be my father. Well, biologically, even if society might frown upon it.

Any more votes anyone? OK, 16 votes is hardly a huge sample, but it's pretty evenly spread from 16 to 60...

I know that this is a survey of registered forum members who can be bothered to vote (as opposed to affiliate marketers), but aren't the over 60s the ideal group to be involved with affiliate marketing via a content site?

Think about it - time rich, plenty of experience...

There's a niche for someone - you hear so much about the affiliate gold, but what about the affiliate silver? :wink:

Cheers,
Charlie.
Charlie

Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:31 pm

28 Here... I started dabbling in AM about 4 years ago, but never got serious about it until this year. :oops:

Most of the crowd I talk to (offline or elsewhere) about AM is about my age. 25-31 or so...
edburdo

Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:35 pm

Phil,

I guess we're the old coggers around here... That's why us old people live in Florida. Sunshine 8) But yes we have the success fail, success fail business experience... can't shake that.

Is it a young person's game --- NOPE --- It's a business person's game.

Study Business!

All the Best,
Another OLD COGGER from Florida
speedguide

Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:59 pm

Gary, the "cog" in the wheel of business is described as "an insignificant person in a large organisation" BUT a "codger" - albeit an "old codger" like me is "an odd, usually old, person".

My dictionary is worn out according to Charlie. You might like a loan of his! A cogger he definitely isn't!!

Cheers,
Wally Morgan - OT again.
administrator
Site Admin

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:47 pm

Wally,

Sometimes the brain types and the fingers don't... maybe it's because --- speaking for myself -- I'm too old to remember what I just wrote :roll:

That Charlie and the dictionary... We all need a better command of the Engrish language! (typo I know)

All the Best,
speedguide

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:51 pm

Another old codger here ... I'm 55, Wally the moderator is semi-retired, and I have three, um, middle-aged women working for me.

Our brain cells don't whizz around as fast as they used to, but we're doing OK :)
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:14 pm

Allan,

Our brain cells don't whizz around as fast as they used to, but we're doing OK

True... but us Old Guys have some very good trash filters!

All the Best,
speedguide

Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:49 pm

Charlie wrote:
Phil Tanny wrote:Interesting thread idea Charlie. 53 this month.

Goodness - you're old enough to be my father

Older than my father. :wink:
JKulp42757

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:39 pm

I'm 37-and-three-quarters in April - and rejoicing.

Des Carter once described happiness as being old enough to know what you want in life, but young enough to make the most of it.

That's about how I feel... partly thanks to the codgers.

It's Des I feel so sorry for. It must be terrible being such a mature man trapped in a young man's body.

By the way, don't let all this rubbish distract you...

What about the 60 plus super affiliate potential? What's the catch? Or are they just silently doing it, instead of "wasting time" on forums?

Cheers,
Charlie.

P.S. Keep on voting - a pattern's starting to emerge!
Charlie

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:46 pm

Today I heard someone mentioning having a midlife crisis at 35! I guess I should be due one any day soon...

Declan
Declan OReilly

Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:58 pm

I'm surprised my age group (41 here) isn't more represented. Possibly many folks in this stage of life are so busy with full-time jobs, family, and other obligations that they don't think they can carve out the time to work on it.

Also, I do have a few friends my age and slightly older who have missed the computer thing altogether. Personal computers weren't in common use till just after we finished college, and except for whatever small amount of computer training some of my contemporaries may have had at work, they're still pretty technophobic. They can check their email on AOL at home since their kids showed them how to do it, but they really don't venture much farther than that.

However, the retirees I know seem to embrace the whole computer and online thing much more. All the grandparents I know of email their grandkids and use the internet for research, and a few even have the time an inclination to get into affiliate marketing.

Interesting study! :)
Jewel

Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:38 pm

Well...I represent the young stallions at 22 years of life. AM definitely looks enticing for any age group, but like most of us in our 20's, we found ourselves looking to 'make a quick buck' and thought AM was the answer. Which just isn't true. Hard work, dedication, knowledge in internet marketing all play a huge role in the success of your affiliate marketing site.

I can see how their wouldn't be too many other age ranges besides the ones respresented in the poll. A lot of my clients are in the older brackets and some still have a hard time checking their e-mail. Trying to run and affiliate marketing site definitely would be a headache for most. :)
Voasi

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:10 pm

30! soon to be 31 though :?
pilkster

Next

Return to General Affiliate Discussion