Elance vs Dedicated Employee

Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:17 pm

I used elance in the past for small programming tasks. It was great to get things done, but we always had to reinterate the same things, because the representatives always shoveled off the task to someone else who had to interpret it for themselves.

Now we have a dedicated outsourced employee from Labor Assistance http://www.laborassistance.com. This is something you might consider if you have ongoing projects that have a low budget. It has been much better than dealing with some other company's hierarchy and communication nuances.

cheers :lol:
fathomit

Beware - Elance.com!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:30 pm

3-4 years ago I was using Elance and got a bid from ACTIVEUNIT:

"http://www.equay.com/warning.htm"

Unfortunately I did not have a good experience with Active Unit.

Recently I posted another project on Elance.com. Again - bad luck, this time I'm being terrorized by their Pakistani member Khaqan Mahmood Artologics.com but Elance does nothing to stop him:

"http://www.equay.com/artologi.htm"
elancer2

Verbal and bidding abuse tolerated on Elance.com!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:54 pm

I got numerous verbal abuse by a Pakistani member ARTOLOGICS on Elance.com
Elance.com responded that the Pakistani member has to abuse me THREE times (!!) before they suspend him from Elance.com. Well, he abuse me 5 times instead. He placed fake bids on my project urging everyone not to bid on my project, he called me a scam while he is the one who is a scam as he bid on my project without agreeing with my requirements and then he started his verbal abuse. I did not even begin any dealings with his sorry butt. So Elance.com responded even after numerous abuse they can not suspend him as he is a nice guy. I suppose Elance protects its own abusers and creinials. The guy was terrorizing my project several times. I just noticed that in their responses Elance removed any trace of that abusive member's ID while posting my id on there. As if they wanted me to forget what his id was. And then later on I found that Elance has charged my credit card even if I did not award any projects to anyone!
I still to get that money back from them! And when I wanted to close my elance account there is no way to do it! You can open an account on "Elance" but you can not close it! BEWARE of Elance!!!
elancer2

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:08 pm

But the question remains, why did you want to run away with their code? is it fair to make people work without money? I understand that free work is easier for you, but running away is not being honest.
hugues

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:11 am

I think this thread and its eventual degeneration pretty much sums up the elance experience in a lot of ways.

In any case, if you have content needs, I recommend finding a good writer who will work to match your specific needs. You can find native English speakers who produce top-drawer content affordably.

I happen to know one, but this isn't the advertising area... :wink:
monkeyads

My 2 cents

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:57 am

Hi, I feel I should chime in here, because I've got experience with Elance on the other end, as a service provider. I've been working as a freelance writer for about a year now, and from my end of the industry, Elance prices are much lower than ad agencies and other brick-and-mortar companies expect to pay professional writers. The thing about bidding sites like Elance is that there are more providers than buyers, so the glut of providers encourages massive underbidding. My rates in the non-Elance world are around $50 an hour--which is the low end of the industry. I'm a conscientious professional--any articles I write are meticulously researched, well-worded, completely unique and error free. I'm a fast worker, and it can still take me over an hour to complete a short article, depending on how in-depth the subject matter is. No WAY would I put in that time and effort for $5. If writers are doing that kind of work for you for that price, be VERY careful--the only way they can make money, that I can see, is by churning out tens or hundreds of these quickly and easily by cutting and pasting from other sources. I recommend writing your own stuff and then having a pro look it over and check it for errors instead of paying those rates--it'll keep costs down and you'll still know where your content comes from.

Good luck to all in your endeavors.
jrw2868

Previous

Return to Complaint Corner