Are free online classified sites any good for marketing

Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:05 am

hi there,

i am new to the affiliate marketing. i have big doubt about success rate of ads posted at free online classified sites. please someone help me out here. as my primary marketing tool is classifieds.

thank you very much
ralph

Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:28 pm

I think free classified sites, if they're visited by anyone, would tend to be visited by people like you trying to achieve sales via free classifieds. Depending on the product you're selling you might be able to sell things to those people, but I'm sure there are more efficient ways of earning a living.

I suggest you try some other marketing techniques.

You could try many different things, including creating web pages to be found in search engines (my favorite), writing articles for article directories and other sites, making posts on forums with your site in the signature, pay-per-click advertising, and so on.

If you explore this message board you'll find lots of tips.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

is ad posters company really help you

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:20 pm

hi and thank you allen

i guess free online classified ads are bad idea. i would be greatful if you help me out one more time. my friend from india runs a ad posters company. where people join and work for him posting ads on all free advertising avenue like free classified ad sites, ffa pages, directories, etc.

my question is companies really make any money through this kind of mass advertising. he told me he had 3000 members in his company as ad posters. and all those ad typing companies really make any money at all.

thank you
ralph
ralph

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:06 am

Are you saying he employs 3,000 people to post free ads?

If so, I assume he must be making money and that this is something worth exploring. Sounds like tedious work to me, though.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Yes he has 3000 employers

Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:50 am

hi allan,

yes he has 3000 employers. all they do is typing ads on various free advertising avenues like free online classifieds, ffa and directories etc. i don't if he making money or not.

can he be succesful promoting a affiliate program like "site bulid it" or something useful for newbie webmasters. is classifieds are at all effective if we do advertise in this manner(mass advertise).

thank you
ralph
ralph

Re: Yes he has 3000 employers

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:47 am

ralph wrote:can he be succesful promoting a affiliate program like "site bulid it" or something useful for newbie webmasters. is classifieds are at all effective if we do advertise in this manner(mass advertise).

I wouldn't want to rule anything out - provided you have the time. I've never tried free small ads.

From what I've heard from people who use small ads (free or otherwise), a good strategy is to offer something free - such as a subscription to an autoresponder course pre-selling the product.

Secondly, the small ad itself is one place where "hype" may have a place. (My definition of hype may be broader than some people's.) You must get noticed amongst the rest. Look at Google Adwords for an ultra competitive term. These people usually know how to write a good "small ad" rather than just buy their way to the top as with most PPC.

Basically, the more expensive the product, the harder it is to sell - especially with consumers rather than businesses. If you used a small ad to send people directly to the SBI sales page, I dare bet you'd get "lower than average" conversions.

How about using the small ad to get people to sign up to a masters course instead? Or better still set up something of your own, so you get the email address. Some affiliate marketers - the quieter types - make very large amounts of money doing nothing but this, but they usually buy the traffic.

Cheers,
Charlie.
Charlie

Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:00 pm

ralph wrote:

can he be succesful promoting a affiliate program like "site bulid it" or something useful for newbie webmasters. is classifieds are at all effective if we do advertise in this manner(mass advertise).

Sure he can ! There has been tons of people that the EXPERTS said it won't work to made it big time.

It's all about working at it day by day. You can't buy success you have to work for it.

Any way that's my 2 cents :lol:
OleTom

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:17 pm

I've seen mixed feelings about classified ads. Some feel they can be effective and others say they are a waste of time.

My feeling is that it's all about finding responsive boards and having a well written ad.

I also feel it's extremely difficult to make a direct sale through the ad (unless you keep placing similar ads in the same place) but it may be more effective to try to capture the potential customer's email address so you can better follow up and have a long time customer!

I would also recommend tracking your ads so you can determine whether your time is being spent productively.
sr1972

Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:31 pm

Free classified ads are useful if you are a good ad-copy writer. Remember you have to sell your words and that will in turn compel your readers to buy your product or service. Why not learn the art of e-persuasion?
[Affiliate link deleted. Admin]
SunnyD

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:13 pm

Just wondering. Even though free ads may not bring a vistor, it does provide a link into your site. Would not this be a benefit to coonsider or am I way off on this one?
Artful Logic

Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:44 pm

I think the worth of the link from the ad site would depend on the ad site. If it is a FFA type place, then most SEs discount the links coming from there... so it wouldn't benefit you at all.

If it was a good quality ad site, and it used a real HTML link, then the PR could be transferred and it would be worth it.
edburdo

Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:03 pm

Most ad sites also rotate ads in and out so quickly that the link isn't there for long ... you have to get tremendously lucky to have your link picked up by the SE to count and, if the page is getting changed that frequently, the spider will be back too quick and pickup the changes so the link in wouldn't be there for long anyway.

Debs
Debs

Return to Web Site Promotion