Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:52 pm

Hi olajide,

I've posted an email address in my profile where I can be reached. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Nigel,

Thanks for the kind words. I will definitely let you know if I have a potential JV opportunity come up. Hope you'll contact me as well if you have anything you'd like a partner for. :-)

Take care,
Mike
Mike Long

In the same boat...

Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:16 pm

Mike,

I really enjoyed your post and can relate to it too. I have been searching the web for years in my spare time to try to earn some money online. I have been unemployed for the past one and a half years and have done much of nothing else except download and read all the big guru's information that is out there. I'm sure at one time they were where we are now. I eat, sleep, and drink the internet on a daily basis for 8 to 10 hours, have very little money to invest in things, consider myself a perfectionist too and am downright disgusted.

There are so many days that I think I have it all together and can do it now and can't wait to get started fresh the next day and "make it happen". My biggest problem is I continue to get lost in all the information that I am reading and I feel like if I just read a few more articles I'll have it all perfect.

My main problem seems to be though that I am upset because I don't know who to use as a webhost. I have tried Pagematic and couldn't get any support and now I am with Host4Profit and it is kinda overwhelming to me. I think the control panel is too complicated. I do like the fact that they have resell rights and they offer autoresponders. I hate to keep investing in hosting and not knowing if I can use their control panel. I hear of people using templates but don't know how to go about this. I feel like I am ready to "build my site" and move forward to other things such as collecting money. Right now $2.00 or $10.00 sounds okay to me but I am in a rut. All I want are some simple pages promoting some affiliate programs that I am interested in. Any advice anyone? Hang in there. I know we too can make a living with this. Email me if you like @ desperatein03@yahoo.com.
MaryK

Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:38 pm

MaryK, Here's a way to get started free (or "How to Make Money on the Internet When You're Flat Broke")

Does your Internet Service Provider provide free web space? Many do.
If not, perhaps you could switch to one which does, to save money.

When I started online in 1996 I was flat broke, working part-time. My ISP provided 5Megs of free space, which is plenty for a large site if you keep graphics to a minimum, and I started by using that. I even sold an ebook I wrote (before I'd even heard of an ebook) from that free-hosted site.

I've often argued in the past that to be truly professional, you need a professional web host and your own domain. However, I started with neither, and I didn't even buy an HTML editor - I just fiddled about with raw HTML. It's time-consuming, but you have plenty of time, so that's not a problem.

Once you've created one simple page that works, you can use it as a template for more pages. Keep things simple and concentrate on writing articles, not fiddling about endlessly trying to make the pages look better.

In my opinion, one trouble with templates is that the ones I've seen are usually too complicated for beginners. You need to understand too much HTML to use them.

The web host you're contemplating using has a handy built-in affiliate program. However, that's an advantage ONLY if you're planning to built a web site aimed at other webmasters who need a web host. Please tell me you're not planning to do that!

The Internet marketing field is the toughest out there. If you get involved in it, you'll be competing with some of the brightest marketing minds on the planet. Not the best place for a beginner who hasn't learned how to build a web site yet.

Do yourself a favor - find a less competitive niche.

Here's an example of a VERY simple page on my first free-hosted web site:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeliac/fav.html

Hey! How about that! After all these years, that page has a Google PageRank of 5. For the phrase "gluten-free recipes" (no quotes needed) I have a No. 1 and a No. 10 ranking in Google.

Not bad for a seven-year-old site that doesn't cost a penny to run! :D

So don't believe people who tell you it's impossible to rank well with a free-hosted web site. Build something of value and people will link to it, and Google will love it, free or not.

If you click on View/Source in Internet Explorer you can see how my page was created. Once you delete the Amazon affiliate stuff, you'll see the page is very simple.

Feel free to use it as a template - at your own risk. I make a good living from this stuff but I do not claim to be an expert, far from it. I know just enough HTML to be dangerous ;-)

HTMLGoodies.com and similar sites will help you more than I can.

If you do a search for "free FTP" you'll be able to find free FTP software to use to upload your page to the web host. (I use CuteFTP, but it's not free.)

Once you've created a page you can go to NetMechanic.com and and type in the URL and check it - free - to see how many HTML errors you have. A word of warning - NetMechanic is REALLY pedantic. It even finds fault in Google's AdSense code. So don't be depressed if it finds lots of errors. It will help teach you correct coding.

You can adapt my page and fiddle with it to suit your own purposes. Please, do NOT overdo that stage. If you're a perfectionist, tell yourself you're willing to settle for a B job, and get a site online so that you can concentrate on marketing it. You'll be surprised how often a B job looks remarkably similar to an A job.

By the way, remember this site was created years ago, and has been more or less abandoned for years. Nothing much has been done to turn it into a revenue generator - it was more of a hobby site. It is NOT a model affiliate site. (If you want a better model, look at my assistant Rupert's sites.)

If you're thinking of using Amazon, I recommend it only as a way to learn about affiliate programs and putting affiliate links on a page. I don't recommend it for serious revenue-generating.

Here's the main point...

Google LOVES plain, simple sites with keywords in the title, in a heading at the top of the page, in the intro, throughout the article, in links, and again at the bottom of the page - and of course, with keywords in the links that other people give you on their sites.

It's not hard to do that.

Get started today.

Then, when you're generated a few hundred dollars, I recommend you switch to using Site Build It! It will teach you how to create a successful site.

Good luck!

Allan Gardyne - AssociatePrograms.com

The Complete Site Build It! Reference Center...
This Link Directory May Change Your Affiliate Business
http://www.AssociatePrograms.com/search ... nter.shtml
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:57 pm

Nice post Allan! Here's a few of my thoughts, too, Mary...

AllanGardyne wrote:...I didn't even buy an HTML editor - I just fiddled about with raw HTML. It's time-consuming, but you have plenty of time, so that's not a problem.

It's not difficult either. If you can think straight, you can learn HTML (or any other programming language, come to think of it.)

AllanGardyne wrote:Once you've created one simple page that works, you can use it as a template for more pages.

In my opinion, one trouble with templates is that the ones I've seen are usually too complicated for beginners. You need to understand too much HTML to use them.

There are many situations where you will be handicapped if you don't know a few HTML basics. All the more reason to get a book...

AllanGardyne wrote:HTMLGoodies.com and similar sites will help you more than I can.

There are various good sources on the web, but I think the "expense" of a book is well worth it...

"HTML for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro (Peachpit Press) is one I can recommend. It's from the Visual Quickstart Guide series, and they are all extremely practical - using examples to get you going from scratch in no time.

AllanGardyne wrote:The web host you're contemplating using has a handy built-in affiliate program. However, that's an advantage ONLY if you're planning to built a web site aimed at other webmasters who need a web host. Please tell me you're not planning to do that!

Maybe you could recommend your host from a "how I run my online business" page of any generic web site. Needless, to say, don't choose a web host based on the promise of their affiliate program.

AllanGardyne wrote:The Internet marketing field is the toughest out there. If you get involved in it, you'll be competing with some of the brightest marketing minds on the planet. Not the best place for a beginner who hasn't learned how to build a web site yet.

Do yourself a favor - find a less competitive niche.

Unless of course you do have a truly excellent, uniquely useful product of your own (with a strong sales page and high gross profit from which to generate commissions) that others will love to help you sell...

If you do, I suggest that internet marketing provides one of the best markets for joint ventures or affiliate-based sales models. Look how fast Yanik Silver (amongst others) shot to fame.

If you don't, forget about free search engine traffic. Without well placed partners, you'll have a hell of an uphill battle, as Allan was meaning.

AllanGardyne wrote:If you do a search for "free FTP" you'll be able to find free FTP software to use to upload your page to the web host. (I use CuteFTP, but it's not free.)

I use WS_FTP. It is free. Also, for single page uploads, you can drag and drop icons from your desktop to your browser - ask your host if you have your own FTP address.

AllanGardyne wrote:If you're a perfectionist, tell yourself you're willing to settle for a B job, and get a site online so that you can concentrate on marketing it. You'll be surprised how often a B job looks remarkably similar to an A job.

Thanks for the reminder, Allan! :wink:

This one held me back for years. If you are are perfectionist, you'll know exactly what a cruel trap this can be. If you're still not sure, ask friends -who aren't perfectionists :) - to rate that B job for you.

AllanGardyne wrote:If you're thinking of using Amazon, I recommend it only as a way to learn about affiliate programs and putting affiliate links on a page. I don't recommend it for serious revenue-generating.

I loved that other recent suggestion of yours, Allan, to monitor click throughs to books from your site as a means of surveying your customers.

AllanGardyne wrote:Google LOVES plain, simple sites with keywords in the title, in a heading at the top of the page, in the intro, throughout the article, in links, and again at the bottom of the page - and of course, with keywords in the links that other people give you on their sites.

If you use an HTML editor, you may find yourself having to remove a lot of extra code... or worse wishing you knew how to rewrite the pages to make them SE-friendly. :wink:

Seriously, for your own sake... learn the basics of HTML so you can at least make changes, if not create whole pages from scratch.

Hope this helps,
Charlie.
Charlie

Websites

Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:03 pm

Thanks Allan and Charlie for the help and all the good info. I have built a few small FREE sites on yahoo which can still be a challenge but were just for fun. What I don't like about theirs (and I did consider advertising them) is that it shows geocities first before your URL which to me lets the world know that you are using a FREE site. Also unless you are a paying customer you don't have access to their FTP files to transfer your site later on when you find the webhost of your choice.

Again, thanks guys. Sometimes all a person needs is someone who cares enough to help others get started too. Allan, how are you feeling lately?
MaryK

Re: Websites

Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:09 pm

MaryK wrote:...unless you are a paying customer you don't have access to their FTP files to transfer your site later on when you find the webhost of your choice.

It's absolutely essential that you have a copy of your web pages on YOUR computer, not just on your web host's server. I've read too many horror tales where the web host has either gone broke or had technical problems and sites have simply vanished. All that hard work down the drain.

In Internet Explorer, you can click on View/Source and then copy the HTML.

Allan, how are you feeling lately?

I'm feeling fine - just a bit tired - but those silly doctors think I'm sick. I'll go back into hospital again soon to keep them happy. I'll post updates in the "Get Well Allan" thread.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Re: Websites

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:27 am

AllanGardyne wrote:
It's absolutely essential that you have a copy of your web pages on YOUR computer, not just on your web host's server. I've read too many horror tales where the web host has either gone broke or had technical problems and sites have simply vanished. All that hard work down the drain.

Open a free hosting account somewhere and upload your files to it as well for backup purpose since generally speaking, a web server is safer than your own computer. A Unix server like FreeBSD doesn't get virused. Your computer has better chance to be hit down by virus then you have to erase everything.
Last edited by mlmhost on Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlmhost

Free Tools

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:26 am

I am a total "hack" when it come to all of the tekkie stuff. I really have no patience for html so I have learned to "cheat" with as many different tools as possible.

A freebie that has always been one of my favorites is Netscape. I would recommend the 7.01 (v.s. the 7.1) version. It has the web browser, the email client, and the composer (web building tools) bundled together. An added benefit is that Netscape doesn't have a hacker's bullseye on it's back like Outlook and Exporer do for viruses etc.

There are two ways to build a quick web with Netscape:

1) Surf to a great looking site and click on: File>Edit-Page. Netscape will open that page in Composer and you can swap out their content and grafics for yours - while retaining elements like structure, fonts, etc.

It is also a great way to "peek under the hood" to see how pages are structured; and once you create a Template.html page you just open it; save it under a new name everytime you create new content.

You can download it for free, or for less than $10 they will send it to you on a CD with an instruction book. Very helpful

2) You can open Composer and start from scratch.

With the 7.x versions of Netscape - in Composer you have 4 different windows to view the web you are constructing: Normal (wysiwyg); Tags; HTML; and, Preview. So you can edit your HTMl; or drag and drop content; and preview it with the click of a tab.

All of that aside - the biggest challenge in the beginning of content creation online or offline; is a sound file management strategy or habits. You've got to understand the basics of cut, copy, paste, drag & drop, save, save-as, creating and managing folders, and creating and managing files.

"Where is it?" and "what did I name it?" are the biggest hurdles in the beginning. FTP-ing (uploading your files to a server) is just a slightly advanced case of the same - but now you are managing the same info on your hardrive and the server's hard drive.

So doing a "Google" for articles and free lessons on the basics of content creation and file management will demystify a lot of webstuff.

One more resource: I've seen a number of "whois" sites refered to here for looking up domain name owners. My favorite is http://whois.bw.org Because he is not related to any of the Registrar's - the site gives consistently better results in my opinion.

Neil
merch2go

Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:26 am

There days only 5% of surfers use Netscape, and more than 90% of people use IE.

Some Linux guys use Netscape since IE doesn't work on Linux.
Last edited by mlmhost on Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mlmhost

Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:23 am

Neil, I had a look at http://whois.bw.org

Apparently you have to either pay a donation, or donate the software on to your own computer.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Re: Free Tools

Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:49 am

Hello Neil.

Surf to a great looking site and click on: File>Edit-Page. Netscape will open that page in Composer and you can swap out their content and grafics for yours - while retaining elements like structure, fonts, etc.

It is also a great way to "peek under the hood" to see how pages are structured; and once you create a Template.html page you just open it; save it under a new name everytime you create new content.

Yes, I think that's a great way of learning from good examples, but is it "fair" to "copy" the exact layout in this way?

Here's an interesting thread on the issue of "copying"...

http://associateprograms.com/discus/viewtopic.php?t=588

Just my opinion,
Charlie.
Charlie

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:53 pm

Thanks, Mike,

Although I'm far from being a perfectionist, your post just knocked
me off the fence and made me take that first shot.

I have learned a lot from all the great people in this forum, but
until today I have been learning from atop that fence.

As of today, I'm the proud owner of my first SBI site.

Thank you Mike.

And thanks, to everyone that has provided such great information in
this forum.

Out of all the resources that I have found, this forum is one of the best.

Thanks, Allan.

Mark Neustedt
marksezine

Just my 2 cents

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:11 pm

Hi Mike,

Your post is great and will help many people here.

Here's just my another addons,

When I began to learn how to do Internet marketing, I just want
to try it, and treat it like a game, and don't care I can earn money.
So I haven't earned any money for almost 2 years in that time.

Some day, I read an ebook and it explains why business is an
innovative investment and can be very profitable. I began to realize
why I failed in network marketing before. I should treat it as a
serious investment, and must invest my money and time.

I chose an affiliate marketing company, and began to invest money
and time to promote. Just one month, I earned a check with $20.
Maybe it is too small, but you know that I haven't earned a penny
in past two years.

So my conclusion is:

Treat your Internet business as an investment, and the time and
money you spend are the principal. Give yourself some time, then
you will begin to get high interestes from it.
Last edited by dengkane on Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dengkane

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:16 pm

i think you must use very cute females pics on website . and pics must ask peoples to join it . probably that will help to promote website as everyone want chicks . lol
ankurarora17

Re: Just my 2 cents

Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:12 am

dengkane wrote:I chose a network marketing company, and began to invest money
and time to promote. Just one month, I earned a check with $20.
Maybe it is too small, but you know that I haven't earned a penny
in past two years.

Please stop promoting an MLM opportunity on this forum. It's for discussions on affiliate marketing. If you continue, we'll be forced to delete your posts.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Getting Started - For New Affiliates