principles on making a Blogging Schedule

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:28 am

Both Search Engines and Regular Readers love a Blogging Schedule. Keep a Schedule for your Blog Posts and stick to it. Can you provide some guidance on how to make a Blogging Schedule and what are the principles?

Thanks advanced.
akunamnd

Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 am

Well, as many as you can provide blog posts it is helpful for your blog but at least you have to make one post in a week, make sure that post is related to your blog, it has quality and it is helpful for blogging community.
2tuff

Wed May 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Well, let me first say I have had a terrible time figuring out a good blogging rhythm, but this dead simple approach seems to be the ticket. I hope it might be helpful to you.
Step One: Determine What Needs to be Done
As I see it, when it comes to blogging there are 4 main things to be done (like Roles):
Create – This is the regular content I'm creating for my blog whether it be posts, videos, guest posts, etc.
Engage – This entails all the interaction I'm doing with others such as responding to comments, answering emails, interacting on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Skype, etc.).
Read – I try to keep up on blogs in my niche or read about topics that I might post about myself.
Projects – These are special projects that are not included in my regular content. Ebooks, coaching, freelancing jobs, blog tweaks, etc. are included here.
Step Two: Determine How Much Time You Have to Blog
How much time in the day do you have allotted for working on your blog (and related activities)? One hour? Two hours? Eight hours?
Step Three: Divide
This is not hard. To start, simply divide the time allotted by number of tasks. So, if I have 2 hours allotted and I have 4 tasks, I have 30 minutes to devote to each task.
Step Four: Tweak
Depending on your blog, it's likely you won't spend exactly the same amount of time on each type of task so adjust as necessary. Just make sure the amount of time you're spending in total doesn't exceed your time allotted.
And remember, you can only do what you can do.
See? Easy peasy. In theory anyway.
adam20johnson12

Thu May 10, 2012 12:28 am

Hi Adam, Great tips!

adam20johnson12 wrote:Create – This is the regular content I'm creating for my blog whether it be posts, videos, guest posts, etc.

It's good to see you've put this one at the top of the list.

Over the years I've been marketing online - since 1996 - I've struggled to find a good work rhythm.

In the early years, I was so obsessed and so determined to quit my day job, that I usually worked from about dawn to midnight, seven days a week, which, to put it mildly, wasn't good for my health.

Later on, once enough money was coming in, I wasn't nearly as motivated. I'd find it so easy to start the day reading a few emails, getting distracted, clicking a few links... taking a break, coming back and checking for new emails...

And suddenly half the day had gone by and I hadn't done anything productive, so it was time to go for a walk and think about what to do next.

I solved that problem by taking a tip from Mary Kay. Here's what you do... At the end of EVERY day, make a list of the 5 or 6 most important tasks that need to be done. Then, next morning, you don't have to hesitate or wonder what to do. You can just look at your list and start at the top.

That one simple idea has helped me enormously. If you haven't tried it, a strongly recommend that you do. They say it takes about three weeks to form a habit, so you need to try it for at least 21 days.

However, the problem with that system is that you may not be a morning person. Perhaps you're at your most productive in the evening or late at night.

I think you have to figure out your own rhythm, work out when you're at your most productive and do the most important tasks then.

If you have a day job, this may mean getting up an hour earlier each day, or you may have to simply force yourself to work when you have time available.

Also, the best plan in the world won't work unless you're motivated to actually follow it. If you struggle with motivation, keep reminding yourself WHY you're doing this. Picture yourself driving the car you plan to buy, taking your girlfriend for a vacation in Paris, or simply having extra money to invest for a secure future. For me, my main goal was buying summer and winter properties with sea views.

Making a list each night has worked well for me for more than a decade. However, these days, I seem to need to warm up slowly.

So I like to do this:

1. Scan emails and read and answer ONLY any that look really urgent. Nearly all can wait until later.
2. Do something easy and quick, that doesn't strain my brain. For me, that's
moderate blog comments and maybe add a quick reply occasionally.
3. Do something that makes me feel good.
For me, that's replying to a post on this forum.
4. Take a break. Go for a walk.
5. Actually DO THE most important thing that needs to be done.
6. When it's done, reward yourself by doing whatever you feel like.

These days, sometimes I skip Step 5. :)

Regarding the blogging schedule akunamnd asked about, sure Google likes fresh content, but I don't think it really matters whether you post daily, weekly or irregularly. What's MUCH more important is that you post stuff that your readers find useful or entertaining, and better still content that people want to tell their friends about.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Sat May 12, 2012 2:23 am

^ I do agree with you. As much as new content is helpful, your past posts can really make an impact in your blog.

If you have written a very useful article that is applicable for a very long time (i.ie, how to withdraw funds from your paypal account), then people who need those information will always go back to your page.

I think blog scheduling is dependent on your topic. If you are blogging about the latest technology, then you need to update your readers several times a week, but if you are writing about topics that are not-fast-evolving, then quality articles can help like fresh articles can.
dame016

Return to Blogging For Beginners