Be Brutal But Help Me...Please

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:58 am

:? Hi Guys, I have been blogging for several years so I don't consider myself a newbie, but I am wondering if I am a dummie instead of a newbie.
I am trying to monetize my blog (www.thecottagechronicles.com) with adsense and some affiliate sales, and not having much luck.
I believe it is because I do not get a lot of good traffic, but also wondering if there is something I am doing wrong. I have been at this for a long time, and starting to think I have 1. run out of ideas to try, and 2. picked the wrong line of work.
I'd really like to make a go of blogging, because I truly enjoy it, even without much financial reward, but on the other hand, I have to eat...LOL
I'd love some opinion on what I am doing wrong, and be brutal if you need to be.
I am particularly interested in the adsense earnings, they are pitiful to say the least. I experiment, without much change. I also seem to have less traffic than I should given the 700 or more posts that I have.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you
Robert
www.thecottagechronicles.com
Rob Dares

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi Robert, Here's something to consider...

Perhaps you're spreading yourself too thinly. You might have more success if you choose just one topic and for the next six months concentrate all your attention on that one topic. Aim to be the best expert/commentator you can possibly be on that one niche.

Concentrating on one topic can also help you with AdSense because it's more likely the ads displayed will be relevant.

Creating good content is important, but so, too, is convincing other sites to link to your site/blog. Link juice is the lifeblood of websites.

If you pour all your effort into one small niche, you're more likely to create content that other sites will want to link to.

So the most important question you can ask yourself is, "What do I know, or what can I find out, that would make a story or an article that other sites would want to link to?"
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Be Brutal...

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:26 am

Thanks Allan, I appreciate your thoughts on this. I think perhaps your are on the money. It could be that the niche I picked (cottages) is a little too small audience wise. It is usually only when I post on more general topics that I receive much traffic. I suppose the number of people with cottages is quite small in the grand scheme of things.

Over time I have expanded it somewhat to more topics because of that and it may have been a mistake. I am going to give some thought to your suggestions.
Thanks again
Robert
Rob Dares

Return to Present Your Site for Review