How do you get affiliate link clicks?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:51 am

I have 3 affiliate links, banners, etc on my popular blog. We get 2,000+ visitors per month but only 1-2 sign ups per month. So we make enough to survive, but looking for more. Any ideas?
Fisherman

Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:30 am

Hi Fisherman, I've found that of the best ways to increase clicks and sales is to write an enthusiastic review of a product you're really keen on. Describe in detail how the product has helped you and say exactly why you recommend it.

Provide enough convincing detail so that people can see that you're not just making up hype. For example, if it's software, show a screenshot taken inside the software.

Ideally, you want your reader to be able to picture what you're describing and imagine themselves using the product. A really good way to achieve this is by writing a case study.

Detailed case studies can be much more effective than product reviews.

For example, years ago, I hired a student, gave him an instruction manual and he spent a few months following the instruction manual and building a successful affiliate site. Then he went on to create a second successful site.

I've earned many thousands of dollars from those case studies NOT because a million dollars was made. It wasn't. And NOT because they were brilliantly written. They weren't. They succeed because they tell a story and also because they're true and sound true. (You can find the links under "Top Articles" in the left-hand nav bar.)

By the way, I just told you a true story. Telling a true story is another really good way of achieving sales. Think of the products you're promoting. Could you tell a true story about one of them? If not, you could interview someone who CAN tell a true story.

I haven't seen your blog, so please don't regard this as criticism...

You need to engage with your reader, so that you come across not as a sales person but as a trusted friend. Sometimes I manage this, sometimes I don't. I think it depends on my mood when I'm writing. You definitely don't want to sound as though you're desperate for a sale. (So try to be in good mood when you're writing!)

People like buying from people they know, like and trust, so it helps enormously if you do things that win people's trust. Giving them genuinely useful info is a good start.

Another small way to start is by publishing your name and a photo of yourself, so that your visitors can see there's a real person behind the words.

Could you consider using your own name when you publish a post here and anywhere else, so that you start building a valuable reputation. How long will you be publishing posts on forums? 5, 10, 20 years? Who knows? Imagine if you're anonymous all that time? That's a lot of time you could have spent building a reputation as someone whose opinions and recommendations can be trusted.

I put a whole lot more thoughts on creating compelling content in an article here...

http://www.associateprograms.com/articl ... sales.html

I hope that helps more than it confuses.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:52 pm

You could also write 'how to' articles and submit them to article directories. The more you write, the more traffic you drive and possibly convert into sales.
kaz

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:58 am

very well said allan. i do really think that successful promotion needs to be honest and not just all hype. people need true stories before buying a product especially if for the first time. i think consumers now are wiser and keener that they can identify which is just promotion and which is honest.
finney62

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:13 pm

So your click through rate is not good enough thats why your conversion rate is so poor.You may like to run some PPC in adwords or microsoft adcenter or if you dont wanna go with paid options then take Allan's suggestion seriously.
ishuvonet

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Few point / ideas the might help:

1 - Does the products you promote are relevant to your blog content?

2 - Try to change the products you promoting to different products on the same niche.

3 - try Google adsense. from my experience they are doing create and if your blog is on competitive niche - you can get great results from adsense.
Dorto

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:02 am

I use yahoo and google groups...
simpson2011

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:29 am

Even I think that this is the best way the affiliate marketing can be done. Instead of just showing banner on the homepage.
morellhenrik

Return to Getting Started - For New Affiliates