Why bother building a site?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to do affiliate marketing without a website by simply using facebook and twitter to bring traffic to the affiliate sales page?

Do you really have to do 'preselling' ?

I found a video site that embeds videos from youtube and other sources then promotes the page via facebook and twitter and fills it with adsense ads. Affiliate ads can be included too. So if this site is doing well with this stuff without articles and links, why bother building a site?
informer

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:53 am

While it is possible to earn affiliate revenue without building your own website, owning your own site has many advantages.

When you build a website with your own domain name, you're creating not just a stream of revenue but you're also creating a valuable asset that you own and are in control of, and you have the option of selling one day.

When you create content, that content helping build up YOUR equity, not someone else's site.

Everything has risks, but when you own your own site, your business model depends much less on the latest fad and less on the whim of third-party tools, gadgets, companies and other people, all of which have the potential to disappear.

I own affiliate sites that have produced revenue month after month for more than a decade. Yep, it takes time to build a site and attract links, but all those keyword-rich pages and all those links to your site are like money in the bank, or like little slaves working tirelessly for you, 24 hours a day.

That's a pretty good investment, I reckon.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Make each page a squeeze page?

Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks allan,

Then perhaps it would be better if I built a website and lead traffic from all the social networking sites to it.

Now i know why they build presell sites. It's sort of like a short stop for readers from social networking sites. It also doubles as a long term investment for future sales.

Last question. Is it wise to make EACH page of a website (20 pages) into a one column squeeze page? With no sidebars except for a big heading, content and call to action button at the buttom? Will this convert? What are the disadvantages? Sometimes too many distractions can mean no sales. So i decided to make each page like a landing page.
informer

Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:53 am

Indeed, I completely agree with Allan. Having a website of your own is very advantageous in affiliate marketing. Though you can use social networking sites and other sources to market the affiliate, however, I think that your own website offers much more advantage. It really doesn't matter whether you make your every page as a landing page. What I would suggest is to make each and every page more attractive with banners so that the visitor is forced to click the ad instead of leaving the webpage.
eUKhost

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Yes it is possible to do sales without the help of a site.
I found a way to do it.
However a site does not exclude what I said above. Actually it improves your chance of selling.
So I would say: do them both.
aditd

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:17 pm

Building a website helps you keep better track of number of visitors to your webiste and also the number of sales you're making as well. If you cant afford a website, try blogging for starters and then later get a website.
kaz

Return to Getting Started - For New Affiliates