10 times the traffic, but no increase in income

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:27 am

My site now enjoys quite a substantial amount of traffic, however my income has not increase at all in the last 3 years.

when i started my forum, i thought it would help my income. However i now have over 50,000 unique visits per moenth to my forum alone (about the same for my blog) i have hti over 100,000 page views ... and my forum got very few page views when i started, but my income has not increase one tiny little bit.

Any suggestions as to why this is?

I'm still earinging £100-150 per month from ebay, $30-60 from amazon.com and virtually nothing from amazon.co.uk.

My google adsense is a joke, it took me 2 years to reach the £60 threshold. My friend has a one page site with no content and he earned £27 from adsense. Last month i earned UK£3.05, and i have 4 blogs and one forum.

What am i doing wrong?
westbam

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:00 pm

I think you are not getting the targeted traffic .However for adsense there are many factors that work behind it.Place ad near content,place only one single ad probabaly a middle size image ad,select channel wisely,look you are website is loading in a reasonable time---these all are some suggestion for you to improve your adsense income.
ishuvonet

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi,

What type of site is it? Is it aimed at computer-savvy people - people who recognise affiliate marketing and adsense when they see it? If so, they're less likely to use the links, so you'll need to find another way to monetize your site.

Paul
Paul Weston

Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:27 am

Basically it's an information and review site. I deal with problems in the counterfeit market, and provide comparison reviews of both fake and genuine products.

The thing is that with 10 times more traffic, i would have expected a slight increase in income, but nothing!

i've covered my site in ads, taken them off, covered my site in googles adsense, not 1 pence rise in adsense income, i've taken off all the banner ads and replaced them with adsense, nothing.

I can't believe my friends one page site with no content earns more than a site that gets nearly 150,000 pages views per month.

it's not just about adsense, it's about income as a whole. ebay, amazon .....

it's nice to see the activity on my site/forum, but it would be better to get a bit more income so i can fund more comparisons.

i guess the question is: if you have a pure 'Information site' how does one turn that into income?
westbam

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:19 am

Could you share to us your forums and blogs?
darkwizgemz

Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 am

I want to keep it quite for now, however if my calculations are right, i'm up for 126,000+ page views this month and that's with the forum alone.

My fourm has: 4325 Members

i can't belive my income hasn't budged one inch in the last 2-3 years. I didn't even have a forum 2 years ago!
westbam

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:04 am

anyone. any explanations or solutions?
westbam

somebody???

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:04 pm

somebody who is qualified please reply this poor guy (its been 2 weeks)... he may share his strategies on traffic with us all some day...
NormArule

Re: somebody???

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 am

NormArule wrote:somebody who is qualified please reply this poor guy (its been 2 weeks)... he may share his strategies on traffic with us all some day...

I don't want to sound bitter here, but there's a lot of people who know how to 'talk' but very, very few obviously know how to do!

As for me I have a vast majority of traffic coming 'through' my site (especially my forum) as 'guests' but I tried an entry email sign-in and an exit sign-up option. I ran it for 2 months and got 1 person sign up! hardly the story of success, unlike the many people who told me they earned $3,567 last month through this tactic alone ... yeah right!

Like i say .. a lot of people talk, but few people actually do.

As for me, I decide to that email sign-ups were useless and so i introduced a 'Members only' type board and then the sign-ups came through to a point where i now have over 5,000 members, but most are dormant.

I've tried regular email shots, but that proved time consuming and costly and the results were a joke. Last time i sent a newsletter out, less than 50 people actually opened it, i think i got 37 views .... that's 37 responses out of 5,000 members.

Again, it's hardly a romantic figure.

this month i'm on course for 200,000 page views, almost double that i got last month. and my income, hasn't moved one bit.

But like i said 2 years ago i didn't even have a forum, and i was still doing the same money, that's what's cracking my head in. 2 years ago i was getting only 200-300 page views per day, now i'm getting thousands and nothing has changed. something is going dreadfully wrong here.

"Sell related products that's a good idea" .... what a joke!

I've tried banners, amazon widgets and astore, ebay widgets, i've tried promoting related products,products that my related target market would be interested in (that was the advice i got from a very successful business person) i've tried promoting webhosting, affiliate courses, etc etc, not one dime, not even from the great Site Sell.

I've promoted 'Hostgator' (my webhost) for years, I've made not one red cent in affiliate commissions. Godaddy.com etc the same. Marketingtips.com books, Kens ebooks, Site Sell .... not a dime! And then my friend comes along, with a one page site... it's not even a site, its .... here it is.

i hope i don't get banned for this

[URL deleted - Moderator]

Now I'm working my butt off, creating a huge site, and my friend creates this in a hour or so, and he makes nearly 1/3 of what i make ... and i have 4 sites, and one forum and my main site has nearly 200,000 page views .... and he's making a 1/3 of what i make with this ... explain?
i've bought a lot of Ken's pre-sell courses, and my whole site is one big ... pre-sell concept, and i have the products that will help people ...cure the problem. not a dime.... unlike the thousands that Rupert was making from his SBI site.

Like I said I thought the forum would be a good source of revenue.... hardly. It's got plenty of content, lots of people visit the forum (currently at 112880 page views so far this month) but no money ...

the only upside is that I'm now getting big sponsors to back my site. I guess when you show them that you're getting nearly 200,000 page views (i.e. advertising space) people sit up and notice.

I've got one of the biggest sites in my niche to back me and they're sending me free gear, i'm on course to get one of the next biggest sites bar amazon and play.com to back me, and two manufacturers are sending me a load of free gear. Nice that i get a lot of free in association to my interest.

I'm hoping the more sponsors i can get, that it'll attract other sponsors. But a little cash would be nice.

I shouldn't moan, as i look around i've had thousands of dollars worth of free gear.
westbam

Re: 10 times the traffic, but no increase in income

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:33 am

westbam wrote:My site now enjoys quite a substantial amount of traffic, however my income has not increase at all in the last 3 years... What am i doing wrong?

I feel your pain and your frustration, but unfortunately, we're just guessing what you're doing wrong, because you haven't shown us your site.

Put yourself in our position. What would you think if you were asked to give an opinion on some marketing methods when you weren't allowed to see the website? Would you waste your breath answering? You'd probably say, "There are a 100 things you could be doing wrong."

Seriously, do you need to protect your site from our eyes? You've told us the results are disappointing. Do you really think any of us would want to steal what you say is a bad idea?

If we want to find good ideas for niche sites, all we have to do is go to Amazon and do a search for Dummies books. Those guys have done all the careful research for us. If they've published a book on a topic, we jolly well know for sure there's a market for it, and a niche website on the topic should do well.

So why would we steal your idea when there are much better ideas out there to copy?

If I tried to help you, it would be both hands tied behind my back and wearing a blindfold.

OK, I'm in a good mood, I'll try anyway... :)

when i started my forum, i thought it would help my income.

Well, it might, but in my experience, running a forum is something you do because you enjoy it. There are much more effective, less time-consuming ways of earning a living.

My google adsense is a joke, it took me 2 years to reach the £60 threshold.

People who go to forums seem to be single minded. They go there looking for information, and maybe to make a post. It's big challenge trying to lure them away with AdSense ads. I've seen some forums where they place AdSense ads right between posts. If you can find out how to do that, it might be worth experimenting with. I haven't tried it.

I think a more profitable tactic would be to lure people away from the forum to the rest of your site - assuming the rest of your site is worth visiting, of course.

i've covered my site in ads, taken them off, covered my site in googles adsense

Yuk.

In my experience, it's much easier to make money with words, than with ads. I won't spend a lot of time guessing what you're doing wrong, but ideally you need your visitors to see you as a friend who helps them decide what to buy. Your articles do that, not ads.

I tried an entry email sign-in and an exit sign-up option

If it didn't work, you didn't promise your visitors something they desperately wanted.

Last time i sent a newsletter out, less than 50 people actually opened it

The subject line didn't promise them something they desperately wanted. OR maybe your previous newsletters were so uninteresting and unhelpful that your readers now filter your newsletters into a folder they don't look at. That's a huge challenge for all newsletter publishers these days.

Sometimes I wonder how many people are reading our newsletters, and then one day we put out one that strikes a nerve and bam! Suddenly you get a really good result.

It's a matter of seeing things through THEIR eyes, answering the questions they want answered. Some days we manage it, some days we don't.

Imagine ONE particular reader. Really SEE that one person. Write to him. Help him make decisions.

"Sell related products that's a good idea" .... what a joke!

Nope, it's definitely not a joke. It's truly excellent advice.

Our challenge is to try to figure out where you're going wrong in implementing that excellent advice.

Here's why you promote related products...

Picture someone coming to your site hunting for certain information. What would be the perfect product to sell to that person? A product that provides exactly the information they're seeking. You couldn't get better than that.

If such a product doesn't exist, perhaps you could create a 20-page PDF report and sell it - or sell a variety of such reports for different sub-niches.

Or, you want visitors who are hunting for a particular product, and your site sells it. They have one thing in mind, and you provide exactly what they're looking for.

Second best, would be a very closely related product. Then you'd have explain why they need that product.

I've promoted 'Hostgator' (my webhost) for years, I've made not one red cent in affiliate commissions. Godaddy.com etc the same. Marketingtips.com books, Kens ebooks, Site Sell .... not a dime!

Probably because your visitors did not come to your site with those topics in mind.

If they come to find out about fake watches and you try to sell them web hosting, you're on the wrong track.

i've bought a lot of Ken's pre-sell courses, and my whole site is one big ... pre-sell concept

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Because it's not working, I suspect it almost certainly is NOT one big pre-sell. Somehow, it's seriously flawed. We both know that. We just don't know where the flaws are.

My strong recommendation: Re-read the advice you paid for, and take notes as you read. On a second or third reading, you'll often see things you skimmed over first time round.

Reading this article of mine may help too..
http://www.AssociatePrograms.com/articl ... tood-skill

Basically it's an information and review site. I deal with problems in the counterfeit market, and provide comparison reviews of both fake and genuine products.

Sounds as though it has possibilities.

Something to consider... If they're doing Google searches for "fake watches", are they trying to buy one or AVOID buying one? You need to know the answer before you can decide what to sell them. Study the keywords that are used to find your site.

Years ago, one problem we noticed with our forum on AssociatePrograms.com was that quite a lot of forum members didn't know that the rest of the site existed.

They probably had a list of forums they visited regularly. They would dart in, single-minded, read a few posts and then click their next bookmarked link.

So we redesigned the site (see top left of this page - a powerful position because most people start reading there) to encourage them to explore the rest of the site. That helped a lot, getting people to read other pages on the site, read articles and click and buy things.

No doubt we could have done it a lot better. We're now working on another redesign of the site.

Look for ways to entice your visitors from your forum to your best-selling review pages. From time to time, we've experimented with eye-catching, prominent links, high on the page. Try that. They worked for us, and we really ought to do more of them.

If you get them right, and take your visitors to well written, persuasive, helpful preselling pages, they should work much better than ads or AdSense.

If you keep changing those links frequently, you'll find out exactly which articles or reviews entice your visitors.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:31 am

AllanGardyne wrote:I feel your pain and your frustration, but unfortunately, we're just guessing what you're doing wrong, because you haven't shown us your site.

Like i said, you guys banned me after about two years because i acceidentally posted twice. You guys thought that after two years and the amount of post i made, I'd then spam you. Not clever really! So I'm keeping my I.D. secret.

AllanGardyne wrote:Put yourself in our position. What would you think if you were asked to give an opinion on some marketing methods when you weren't allowed to see the website?

But Allan that's what people like me have to deal with from so called interent marketers. They're all willing to sell the story, but few show us their sites, or their real sites .. so welcome to my world.

AllanGardyne wrote:Seriously, do you need to protect your site from our eyes? You've told us the results are disappointing. Do you really think any of us would want to steal what you say is a bad idea?

The poiint is that i've spent the last year with people like yoursslef, and i've heard the same advice. i've even used software that you've promoted, including SBI.

my newsletter headline was boring - i've heard it before Allan, spent $27 per month on a headline generater, sopftware promoted to me by an interent marketer believe it or not.

Promoting related products was a joke in my case. That was one of the last stratagies given by a very successful interent marketer who ... oh shock horror, won't actually show me his site. So you moan at me Allan, but welcome to my world!

I'm sorry to sound bitter, but the reason why you are only one of 3 people i listen to is becasue I've become disenchanted with most interent marketers. Most are good story teller and story sellers, but scratch the surface to their story and there's nothing underneath.

I'm not into internet marketing Allan, it's not my passion. I'm not here to promote my ebook in my signiture. I fell on the fake market thing by acceindent. I don't think 200,000 page views is bad, but no-one can remedy the problem of my incoe problems.

Your advice i've heard many times before, so i guess i'll have to shrugg my shoulders and say "no-body really knows ... including you." if you're all giving the same advice and it doesn't work what else can i do ... but do what my $100,000+ a year internet marketing friend does, and make up a story about how successful i am. He drives a Lexus LS460, has a nice house, all by lying about his success. maybe i should do the same.

Before i go one question:

Question: Am I wrong in assuming that a hike in traffic is also accompanied by a hike in income?

You're the main Man in my book Allan, and dare i say my last hope. But I've spent a lot of time and money on this, and if you can't help (which it looks like you can't) then no one can!
westbam

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm

AllanGardyne wrote:Do you really think any of us would want to steal what you say is a bad idea?

And for your information and with the greatest of respect Allan, I don't lie about my income to sell some crumby ebook... i have a real website, with 70,000 plus visitors this month.

I could give you another story

How I made $!,897 from amazon

How does that sound? Convincing?

I'm and honest person Allan, and I started to help people by setting up a site to help them stay away from dishonest people (counterfeit goods).

Like I siad I've got a real information website i'm not into interenet marketing. I started on your site to gain an insight... real help. I've tried many of the software you promote, and many methods, and nip, zip, diddly. And no-one, not even you Allan can tell me why that is. Like I said Allan I've you were my last hope, and if you can't do it, no one can!

I just thought you would have some.. power punch Allan, somehting i'd missed. I spent many years on your site, and reading Ken's ebooks (make your content sell is my favourite).
westbam

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:46 am

westbam wrote:Like i said, you guys banned me after about two years because i acceidentally posted twice.

If you were unfairly banned, I'm very sorry. Wally the moderator usually does a good job of keeping the forum free of spammers. However, he can get a bit trigger happy at times.

Banned members have been allowed back. If you told us who you are, Wally wouldn't suddenly ban you again just because you were banned two years ago. To stay, all you'd have to do is follow the forum instructions.

Wally can't remember the details of something that happened two years ago. Let's start again and give each another another chance.

Will you show us your site and see if forum members can help you?

...i guess i'll have to shrugg my shoulders and say "no-body really knows ... including you.

Hang on! That's a bit unfair.

Maybe we know how to help you, maybe we don't.

Forum members here could give you a list of 100 things you MIGHT be doing wrong. But why would they want to waste their energy speculating? They'd have to write a book for you, so you could skim through it to find the pages that are relevant to your site.

I'll give you just one example. Perhaps you need to spellcheck your site. Perhaps it's full of typing and spelling mistakes that are so bad they scare away potential customers. Maybe it's perfect in that regard. We don't know.

what else can i do ... but do what my $100,000+ a year internet marketing friend does, and make up a story about how successful i am

I doubt you're serious, but no, of course you don't have to do what some unethical do. Affiliate marketing is a multi-BILLION-dollar industry involving an enormous number of honest, ethical people, and a very small proportion of ratbags.

Question: Am I wrong in assuming that a hike in traffic is also accompanied by a hike in income?

Normally, it would be, if it's real traffic, people who stay longer than 10 seconds.

But if it's nearly all forum traffic, I wouldn't expect a lot of AdSense revenue from that.

If that traffic is going to your forum, are you doing things to lure those visitors from the forum to your money-generating pages?

I just thought you would have some.. power punch Allan, somehting i'd missed.

Find something that people eagerly want and sell it to them. That's the power punch. Everything else is mere detail.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:34 pm

What I've done:

1) I know that affiliate banners are a less effective way to promote a program, however all I've done is stuck a load of affiliate banners on one page .... a squeeze page of sorts. these are banners targeted official dealers who have stores on amazon and ebay.

I'm doing a page for each product. For example if I was promoting music, then I've created one page on the forum for rap music, one page for drum and bass etc.

2) I'm in the stage of analysing my 10-15 top articles, the articles that get the most traffic, then I link to the banner (squeeze) page.

It's a crude solution, however CT rates have increased, and even after 1 day, one of the banner pages got 157 views, so people are looking/shopping.

I'm also experimenting with more ... hardcore sales letter techniques rather than just writing;

Tiger woods golf club reviews....

.... I'm trying to add a bit of 'excitement' and 'urgency' to the article. 'Hurry" 'Now' Quick' 'Grab'etc.

I'm also using a call to action a bit more. I guess I'll give it a try as few people in my niche does this.

I'm tyring to address problems of money in the headline, peoplel fears, how these products will benefit etc ... you know the score.

In terms of 'Sales letter' ... stuff, ebook or software, what would you advise? Any 'push button sales letters software? Something that use to teach me how to write better sales letters, or some sort of sales letter software.

I tried a headline creater, can't remember which, but it was like $27 and basically a bit of a rip off.

O.K. I don't think the banners are the best answer, but they seem to be working all the same.

Also what I find is that people don't want to do any work (he says as he asks for push button sales letter software). I got a question yesterday and the guy said "I want to buy this from beachcamera.com."

Well 30 seconds on the manufacturers website and i could see that beachcamera.com was on the official dealer list. a quick flick between amazon and ebay would also helped him. He could have done this himself. I spent all of 3-4 mins finding the info and answering his concern. He could have done this for himself, why didn't he?

The only answer that i can find is people want it laid on a plate for them, hence the banner ad pages. A list of dealers that sell on ebay and amazon. As I had no success with amazon astore, i guess i'll have to try something else.

Sorry Allan, i'm rambling. So to recap i've;

1) created banner pages for official dealers on amazon and ebay. (banner squeeze page)

2) I've started to find the articles with the most traffic and I'm re-writing in a sales page fashion, and also adding links to the banner pages.

Wish me luck!
westbam

Fake Stuff

Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:21 pm

I did a little research on Rolex and found that the first "short tail" term for you is "fake rolex". Drilling down to create a long tail list from that and using googles traffic estimator I got,

Keyword Global Monthly Searches
fake rolex 60500
fake rolex watches 14800
fake rolex for sale 4400
fake rolex watch 3600
fake rolex submariner 1900
fake rolex daytona 1300
fake rolex reviews 390
fake rolex watches cheap 390
fake rolex watches for men 320
fake rolex daytona watches 210
fake rolex submariner watch 210
fake rolex submariner watches 210
fake rolex watch repair 140
fake rolex daytona watch 110
fake rolex watch bands 91
fake rolex watch for sale 58
best fake rolex watches for sale 28
fake rolex daytona cosmograph 46
best fake rolex submariner 22
fake rolex submariner for sale 28
fake rolex watches ebay 22

Adwords won't touch these potentially illegal keywords so no adsense profit to speak of.

(People visiting your site are not going to see ads about what they are searching for with Adsense).

Most of these keywords look like people trying to buy a fake rather than trying to figure out if their rolex is real, etc..

One of the most telling things is that the first "actionable" keyword, ie the keyword is clearly telegraphing the intent of the searcher is,

fake rolex for sale 4400

It appears that your clients are mostly looking for an illegal product. People looking for products like this are probably getting lots of spam emails about "Fake Rolexes", etc... So no wonder they are not opening your emails.

I could go on,... If you want to monetize this site legally your are going to have to do a few things.

#1 Use the right bait for the few people that are looking to get the genuine brand name item. Hook up with a vendor and offer them a bonus if they purchase through your affiliate link. (Put them through a squeeze page to get there, aweber style.)
Aff link will be on the thank you page along with the bonus coupon, download, video, PDF download, etc.. Make sure you use double optin so that you are on a white listed server. Even with this you may still have deliverability issues if you put for example "Rolex" in your title. Check your stats! Your email titles may need to be things like,

Cool Watch video - Check it out
Hey
Thought you might like this

Send them links though email to cool videos posted on your blog about the products they like, (give them value) and soft sell them, with an affiliate link located below the video.

Make them happy and give them value and they will give you value.

#2 Try to convert the masses by hooking up with a vendor and creating banners like,

Own a Real Rolex for The Price of A Fake

the vendor would then offer a finance program for easy monthly payments that were about the same price as a fake. This would need to probably be a long hard sell sales letter (but test it) and make certain there is not a hint of judgment.

#3 Your tollbooth squeeze page through banner links could be modified and improved. You are certainly on the right track, you are giving them value. Get their email address if at all possible, see #1.

Try to get into the mind of the person coming into your site. What is their end goal? What are the steps they need to get there? What can you do to help them? Give them the first step for an email submit... see #1...

etc.... etc.... etc....

Oh and I would stop making them sign up for your forum, let them give you their email address.

You want to sort out all the hard core fake buyers anyway with the right bait you will keep the good ones.

Good Luck!

P.S. You can PM me if you have any thoughts.
chris213

Next

Return to How to Earn More