How to convert existing website to Wordpress?

Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:04 pm

I have a poorly (but free :P ) designed website that I would like to convert to Wordpress. I've got very little technical knowledge when it comes to website design, and usually fumble my way through things. I've got two questions that perhaps one of you techie's can help me with:

1. The inside pages on my site get good rankings in Google, so when I convert to Wordpress I want to keep each page on the same domain/directory. By that I mean that I want to keep the part after the .com/ on my site the same (I think that is called "directory", so that is what I will call it here. Each directory ends in .php. Example: http://travelsitecritic.com/Vayama.php.
Is there a Wordpress plug-in that will allow me to change the directory name to "Vayama.php" in Wordpress? I was testing out the All in One SEO plug-in, which allows me to change the directory name on posts, but it does not allow me to add the .php to the end of it. Instead it adds "-php". If Wordpress does not have this capability, please let me know, as this will save me a ton of time. Is there another free blogging/content management software that I should use instead?
Would it be better for me to redirect my site with a plug-in such as http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/domain-change/ ? I am afraid redirects are bad for SEO purposes. Is it?

2. Is there a way to build my website on Wordpress in the background (on a subdomain or something), and then instantly publish it to the main domain http://travelsitecritic.com when it is all done? I've got many, many pages, so it is going to take a significant amount of time to transfer and I do not want to do it live online.

Again, as you can likely tell, I do not have much techie knowledge, so please dumb down your advice for me. I appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks!!
peejay

Re: How to convert existing website to Wordpress?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:06 pm

am not too good with wordpress, but from I know you could publish it as a page and then change the permalink
Seekers

Tue May 25, 2010 7:50 am

After you transfer the pages to Wordpress, be sure to 301 redirect all old pages to their wordpress post counterparts.
katrina

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 am

The advice of katrina is best method to be applied on that case. 301 redirect is important for when you want to import your contents to a CMS system.

[URL deleted - Moderator]
Jessica800

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:39 pm

So do you have to make a 301 page for every page from your old blog? How do you do that?
stoneman

Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:39 pm

I have the same question about redirection, as I am going to convert my website to Wordpress, too, and I have really plenty of internal links as well as external ones, so I would be grateful for more detailed information on how to do it.
bAntioch

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 am

First, you create html template, and replace the static code with wordpress codex. Personally, I think I would just take the default WordPress theme and customize it to your liking. Or search for a theme that has the same general layout as your site. Then I would just go through and plug the content in.
devbpo2012

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 am

Redirects are very bad for SEO so think again before doing it.
morellhenrik

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:21 am

I know this is an old thread but just in case someone else has the same problem...

You don't need a plugin, or to do any redirects to achieve this. Just go to Settings > Permalinks in WordPress admin and edit them to suit the link style you need.

For example, the OP could have added something like this under Custom Structure:

/%postname%/.php
GeniusStartup

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:04 pm

You may need to try http://flash-html5.net

First of all they are very Cheap, Professional and Fast responding.

I know that a bad website experience can create bad feelings about your company. A poor mobile experience makes them less likely to engage with a company in the future.

After your site is converted to HTML5, search engines will be able to crawl and index it. Customers will then be able to search you, and view your website on any mobile device that they own, ultimately increasing in your search engine rankings....
lina28

hello,guy

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:47 am

You don't need a plugin, or to do any redirects to achieve this.
lilysmith

Return to Do-It-Your-Selfers