1. Make sure to properly check the guidelines of various article directories - some directories will strip out HTML and some don't. Make sure you take proper care of that in order to obtain maximum links with good anchor texts.
2. Don't use the same article(s) that you submit to article directories ON your website as that may trigger duplicate filters of search engines. If you want to, atleast tweak your article a bit.
3. Don't make too many links to your website in your article - as the chances of your article being approved decreases. As a rule of thumb, get one link in 'Article Body' and two links in 'Author Bio' - this works well for most of the article directories.
4. Find as many article directories as possible that are related to the content on your own site. Google this:
"your keyword here" submit article
You may let us know of any extra article directories that you are able to find out and we will submit your article(s) to these article directories also.
5. Don't publish your email address while submitting to article directories - as you know what that means? SPAM!!! - or you may make a separate email account for this purpose.
6. If you want your article to be picked up by some of the larger places, then you are better off submitting it by hand under your own name and account (rather using any automated service/software).
7. Make sure to submit your article in only RELEVANT article directories and it should be submitted in the correct category.
8. Consistency is the key. It is a fact that as more and more articles are added to the article directories, your article will go lower in the listings, but if you constantly and consistently submit new articles, then you will continue to reap the benefits.