Niche for newbie?

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:28 am

Hi I'm new here, have recently learnt that you don't necessarily have to be a techie to put up a revenue bearing site, not at first anyway, and have been looking at SBI as maybe a good place to start though of course a bit pricey, for me anyway.
When I'm scouring my brain trying to think of a good niche idea I always gravitate back towards things like psychology, subconscious, hypnosis etc etc because I'm interested in them and because I think there might be some kind of niche/sub niche in the self help field for an info/advice type site of this nature.
Does anyone think it's too airy fairy (or too crowded) and I should be thinking more practical like ie "woodwork for teens" or something, or would you always stick with your gut feeling?
kmd245

Still thinking....

Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:07 pm

k jlk jlj ljlk jljlkjlk jlkj ljlk jlkj lkj
Last edited by dk4428 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dk4428

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Make a list of all your ideas. When you put it on paper or your screen so you can refer back to it... it makes it easier to organize.

Now do a little keyword research to expand your list. This is how everyone starts the process to see if there is traffic.

Once you know there are people interested in the topics you can dig deeper to see if the market is viable. Are there advertisers, what do the existing competitors sites look like, are their affiliate opportunities or will you create your own? And it just goes from there.

Once you've done all your research you can create a plan for how you are going to build and monetize your project.

Just today I came across a niche that is being dominated by a single source. They have a PR 7 and the top position in Google. But as you get near the bottom of the 1st page results there are a couple of sites with PR 0!

That's called an opportunity!
InternetMarketingIQ

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks for your comments/suggestions, when you get a minute could you drop a line and let me know what PR is, I'm a very new newbie!
kmd245

Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:20 pm

kmd245 wrote:Thanks for your comments/suggestions, when you get a minute could you drop a line and let me know what PR is, I'm a very new newbie!

PR(PageRank) is what Google uses to determine the importance of a web page. It's one of many factors used to determine which pages appear in search results.

PageRank is measured on a scale of one to ten and assigned to individual pages within a website, not the entire website. To find the PageRank of a page, use Google Toolbar. Very few pages have a PageRank of 10, especially as the number of pages on the Internet increases.

i take it from google.about.com
chrisdina

PR

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:52 pm

Thanks for that, I learnt about page ranking and the google toolbar soon after my silly question about what PR is.
kmd245

Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:27 pm

There are some evergreen niches which are not affected by recession. But they are highly competitive and you have to go deep into each niche to find a product will less competition and more demand. They are:

Internet business

healthcare

dating
vinmann

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Your best bet is to stick with someting you know and are comfortable talking about.

Then check clickbank and paydotcom to find products that are the same as your niche.

lastly start your own wordpress blog to promote these products it is very cheap to do and fairly easy.

Don't try to start a free wordpress blog to promote your products because wordpress will cancel your account.

If you need help there is a program called the "WP Blog Starter" you should be able to find it on Google in a search.

Thats it that is the best way to get started, and it should only cost you about $4 to $10 a month for your webhosting.
tymes90

Re: Niche for newbie?

Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:57 am

kmd245 wrote:...or would you always stick with your gut feeling?

I've done very well - most of the time - by following my gut feeling. I was doing that successfully for years, long before I learned about the importance of keyword research to find out what people are typing into search engines.

Do careful research first, find out what people are typing into search engines, study your potential competitors, and then trust your instincts.

A good free place to do research is the Google keyword tool - https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Make sure you read everything carefully before you start using the tool. For example, you need to understand the difference between "Exact Match" (you'll usually want that) and "Broad Match", and you need to know whether you're looking at just your country's results or the whole world. You'll see huge differences in the figures depending on how you use - or misuse - the tool.

Select "All Countries", type in "hypnosis" and you'll be utterly swamped with ideas for niches and sub-niches.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

niche for newbie

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks for that specific advice about using the google keyword tool, I'll definitely be following up on that,also I'm encouraged what said about gut feeling, it feels right, rather than trying to dig out some micro niche I'm not interested in. I want my first site to be something I'm close to and am actually genuinely interested in.
kmd245

Re: Niche for newbie?

Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:46 pm

kmd245 wrote:When I'm scouring my brain trying to think of a good niche idea I always gravitate back towards things like psychology, subconscious, hypnosis etc etc because I'm interested in them and because I think there might be some kind of niche/sub niche in the self help field for an info/advice type site of this nature.
Does anyone think it's too airy fairy (or too crowded) and I should be thinking more practical like ie "woodwork for teens" or something, or would you always stick with your gut feeling?

Going for a niche taht you are interested in and that you know something about is not airy fairy. It actually is the way to go really

Generating content in the niche will come easy to you because it's what you know or care about.

And by the way the psychology niche is a very hot one
niche

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:35 pm

I agree with the previous poster. When searching for a niche you should also be following your passion.

In the case of "psychology, subconscious, hypnosis", it could be a mix of digital info products, books, CDS, DVDs, online courses, and maybe referrals for actual practitioners.

But you would obviously need to get a bit more focused. Why not start a blog on the subject, read about it and write up your thoughts... by focusing on the subject and building up a body of unique articles you might stumble on some good ideas.

Other than that I'd suggest that you also look for a market first and products to serve that market later. You might find a hungry market and then create the product or service yourself...

Hmm, how about "hypnotize yourself out of the recession..."?? :idea: :lol:
David Hurley

niches for newbies

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 am

I agree starting a blog would be a quick and fairly easy way of getting my foot in the door but the approach I want to take is to gradually build up a content rich website and then when the time is right monetize it with whatever feels right at the time ie adsense, some affiliate stuff (good idea about referrals!) possibly relevant e books and who knows what else! The central theme though is broad so all that's going to take a while.
kmd245

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:58 am

I think you should focus on a niche which you have a special interest, you could start doing that by listing all your interest out and picking the one(s) that would guarantee you more reward.
BST

Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:54 am

I have a site on hypnosis/NLP and it does okay. If that's what you like, then take action.

A few years ago I created a PPC campaign for a full line of products that I've used (CD's). I haven't touched the campaign for a long time and it's still doing okay.

On the flip side, I met a psychiatrist that wanted to write a book about what "she does"....and I didn't think it was a great idea. As far as books go, I prefer to focus on the ones that solve peoples problem instead of the ones that are written for the doc's ego.
nichefinder

Next

Return to Getting Started - For New Affiliates