How important is Domain Name?

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:37 pm

im still on the planning stage of my site, and i want to build a general site that can house many products. this means i will probably have a more general domain name.

by reading the forum, i have a sense that domain name is very important for ranking well.

what should i do? a domain for each product and redirect? or just general domain is good enough? how much will it matter?

Thanks,
Victor
xuchenxixu

Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 am

In my experience, I feel that the domain name you choose can strongly influence the keywords you rank for in Google. I know that this isn’t always the case, because there are plenty of popular blogs that have odd names, that rank for keywords that aren’t found in their domain name.
lancehibner

Domain Name

Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Although a keyword rich domain name can certainly help your ranking, I do not feel that it is essential.

Be sure that the title of your site is keyword rich, as well as distributed evenly throughout your website.

This along with high quality, relevant material should increase your rankings.
Glen Speckmann

Fri May 06, 2011 6:31 am

Hello Friends........

Domain used for a website can have a huge impact on how humans and search engines perceive it. Domain names were once so expensive that only those who want to protect a brand or who could afford them the property, since they are common and if you know where to look, you might choose a domain name for free. Now that they are much easier to obtain, it is hard to take any site that has it’s own domain name very seriously. Without a domain name, a company is likely to be passed off as amateurish or seen to want to take shortcuts to save money.

Thanks
jenny17

Thu May 12, 2011 2:21 pm

A good domain name has nothing to do with how it ranks.

How it ranks is by it optimized well and linking from and to other sites.

There are so many factors that there is no guarantee that you your site will ever get indexed.

If you are looking for a good amount of traffic, I suggest that you look into PAID advertising.
talfighel

Tue May 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Having a keyword in the domain is quite good ... but what keyword is Yahoo?
So it will help having keywords in the domain but it matter the amount of marketing you do in the site.
aditd

Wed May 18, 2011 6:21 am

Domain name is very important for SEO, but for users as well. Making a tricky and a short domain name will make url easier to remember.
Just make sure you find a good domain related to your site.
afo87

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Domain name is a unique name for your website. people are also called a URL.Basically it is another name of your IP address.
albertcruzes

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:19 am

You need two basic things to rank well
1)Related Domain Name
2)Content

No secrets...
Vicky from DNP

Domain Name Importance

Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:07 am

Hi,
When I build a new website, I decide first if it will be a long term "authority" site or a smaller "niche site". If a small targeted niche site I use good keywords in my domain name, preferably at the front. .com, .net or .org are fine.
However, if it is going to be a large site worked on over time, I ONLY choose a dot COM. Name is not so important but title, description and site all keyword rich. However I choose a memorable name for people to re visit, and still on topic.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Catherine
[URL deleted - Moderator]
CatK

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:01 am

Domain name is important. Because domain name should have to be relevant to the content inside. for example a site with car sales wont suits the name of bananabiz.com

people while searching for the car sales the first thing they will look with carsales.com not to open with bananabiz.com. i think u got it now

the next thing is need to analyze the keyword to promote and to bring more backlinks and page ranks. Then the traffic will be more to the site to earn more customers to the site

Thats it!
christodaniel122

How important is Domain Name

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03 am

I often get asked this question and I would like to open up a discussion with you regarding domain name selection in relation to search engine ranking. In my experience, I feel that the domain name you choose can strongly influence the keywords you rank for in Google. I know that this isn’t always the case, because there are plenty of popular blogs that have odd names, that rank for keywords that aren’t found in their domain name.

The difference I see though is with popularity and backlinks pointing back to these more popular sites. For me, I build very low traffic and low key niche sites. Just about every web site that I build has a domain name with the primary keywords in it that I am targeting. Typically it doesn’t take very long to rank for the keyword phrase I am targeting. Within that, I will also rank for many relevant keyword phrases based off the primary keyword phrase due to me writing content that specifically targets these other phrases.

All in all, I have had and continue to have great success with doing this. With that said, I’ll admit, I have never tried to target keyword phrases using a domain name that didn’t match up with the primary keyword phrase I target. So I can’t say for sure that what I am doing is truly a legitimate tactic or strategy. That is why I wanted to carry on a discussion with you about it. I’d like to know your opinion on how important do you think domain name selection is for search engine ranking? Share your feedback and opinions using the comment form below.
kadhababu

Re: Domain Name Importance

Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:29 pm

CatK wrote:If a small targeted niche site I use good keywords in my domain name ... if it is going to be a large site worked on over time ... Name is not so important but title, description and site all keyword rich. However I choose a memorable name for people to re visit, and still on topic.

That sounds like a good strategy to me.

One big advantage of using keywords in your domain name, for example "LifetimeCommissions.com", is that when other sites link to you, they will often use those keywords - LifetimeCommissions or Lifetime Commissions - as the anchor text (the clickable words). So they're helpfully telling the search engines the topic of your site. That's very useful.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:30 pm

The domain name you choose is very important for the success of your website. If you are serious about your online presence it is recommended that you come up with a nice name for your site and not settle with a free hosting service that is long and cumbersome to remember and recall.
There are a lot of benefits of having your own domain name. Listed below are a few of the most important ones:
• Having a personal domain name will enable having an address like On the other hand, a free domain name comes with this is longer and harder for your customers to remember.
• Having your own domain name also builds up trust and credibility amongst your clients as they feel more comfortable and secure in the fact that it is an established company.
• With your own domain names come multiple emails at your domain that can be assigned to various functions of the site thus enabling flexibility and easy handling of customer requests.
• The home pages of a particular domain come up easily in internet searches as against those that are hosted on a free server. The index.html should be your own domain name to come up when a key word strikes!
• Some search engines will not be able to crawl down the sites that are hosted with free services. More often than not error messages like, ‘too many pages submitted’, ‘your URL is submitted for processing’ and other error crop up when you are trying to access these sites.
Other considerations before you decide upon a good domain name are as listed below:
• Size of Your Domain Name: Size is a very important factor in deciding your domain name – the smaller the better. Your visitors will easily remember a website name that is shorter and difficult to misspell.
• Easy to Remember Names: Most successful websites have easy to remember names like the ones you come across in your day to day life. Pick and choose the simplest one.
• Domain Names Need to Be Business Related: Domain names that are related to the product you are selling are always very useful. Try getting the product name as your domain name. An example would if you are selling arthritis shoes get a domain name like xyzarthritishoes.com.
• Competitors Domains: Always avoid picking names that are closely related to your competitors’ sites. Lest you lose your customers to them due to the confusing and similar names.
• Go For the .com! : People are used to the .com version much more than any thing else. Make .com your first choice of address. It is simple and more natural and people might just be able to find you on the net by typing in your brand’s name followed by the inevitable .com.
kadhababu

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi kadhababu, Are you from SEOWhiteHats.com?

If not, why are you cutting and pasting stuff from their site?
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Affiliate Discussion