Social Media Marketing: Put It to Work for You

Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:40 am

What the heck is social media and what role does it play in my marketing? This is probably a question I wouldn't have received two years ago, but yet today it's the most common question that enters my inbox.

First off, let's talk about what social media is. Social media represents low-cost tools that are used to combine technology and social interaction with the use of words. These tools are typically internet or mobile based. A few that you have probably heard of include Twitter, Facebook, MySpace and YouTube.

Social media gives marketers a voice and a way to communicate with peers, customers and potential consumers. It personalizes the "brand" and helps you to spread your message in a relaxed and conversational way.

The downfall to social media, if you could call it that is that it must be a part of your everyday life in order to keep the momentum and attention you need for it to be successful.

If you think that social media is only for the small business owners that are trying out an experiment, I have to correct you. Here are just a few companies that have become involved in social media:

Absolut Vodka - Online Video on YouTube and Using Facebook to house their Top Bartender fan page.

BMW - Utilizing Facebook to promote their 1-Series Road Trip and they have created a Rampenfest Page for fans.

Dunkin Donuts - That's right they've found value in social media and have set up a microblogging Twitter account.

Barack Obama - In my examples, I can't leave out future President Barack Obama. He has been seen as a leader in the use of Twitter during the Presidential Election. He has over 170,000 followers and is following over 165,000. Personally I remember the "twitter buzz" during the Presidential Debates as well as the election.
sanguine

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 am

Social Media Marketing (SMM) is a form of internet marketing which seeks to achieve branding and marketing communication goals through the participation in various social media networks (MySpace, Facebook), social bookmarking (Digg, Stumbleupon), social media sharing (Flickr, YouTube), blogs, forums. Each social media site can be optimized to generate awareness or traffic.
Jenie0109

Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Social media is a free way to build your brand and get your message out there. If you do not already have an account, opening your company's Facebook fan page is needed. While maintaining a blog is a nice strategy for the promotion, search engines, such as blogs, to see a lot of research, as well as the blog commentary box creates less stress on customers to reach you.
saffordlloyd

RE:

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Social media are media for social interaction,
using highly accessible and scalable communication techniques.

Social media is the use of web-based and mobile technologies to turn communication into interactive dialogue.
laurarussell49

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:30 am

Social Media Marketing is about promoting your website, product or services on Social Networking sites Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Flickr, Wikipedia, YouTube and Orkut. This techniques span a wide range of marketing objectives, ranging from online brand engagement to social retailing.
corymoore

Return to Web Site Promotion