Promoting affiliate programs on a blog?

Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Which is best for promoting affiliate programs on a blog? banners or text links?
kaz

Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:06 am

A combination of text links, buttons (125x125px) and skyscrapers (120x600px) ALL in the side-bar. The text links should be grouped according to relevancy and broken up by the buttons and skyscrapers.

I don't recommmend adding banners to the content-- unless it's really, really essential. For one thing, it will disappear as you continue to ad posts to your blog.

If you just have one affiliate program-- then you need to join more! LOL! Seriously... promoting just one program is leaving vast sums of money on the table. I'm not saying YOU do this, necessarily, but for anyone reading this that may be doing it.

Affiliate marketing is SALES, first and foremost. Think of your blog as a store-front... does a pet store only sell pets? Heck, no... they sell anything and everything related to pets. They sell every product, regardless of manufacturer (as long as they're reputable), and offer as much as possible. This is why people will go to that store: because they know they'll find what they're looking for... even if they didn't know it, yet.

So: Pick a niche you like, find as many reputable programs within it that you can and join every one of them.

And, of course, if this doesn't apply to you... well, remember how many people read these things. :D

Cheers!

Tracker Mo
Marigee

Banner Blindness

Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Banners can certainly fill up some space and increase the curb appeal of a blog, but beware of banner blindness. Be strategic in the banners you choose to run, over doing it will drive down your clicks. I agree with Margie, a combination is best. More and more we are seeing the success of contextual links out performing banners. As a blogger, anytime you write about something that relates to one of your affiliate programs, create your own text link.

What topics do you like to blog on?
Last edited by WebDotCom on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WebDotCom

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:37 pm

I would agree that you should try a combination at first. Beware, however, that you cannot track how many people see your banner but you can track SEO traffic through clicks. When you find what you like and are comfortable with, maybe try a rotation on your site with different offers.
emessore

Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:25 am

I feel more than 50% people dont like banners and over decorating stuffs. Therefore text links work better. I would suggest you to have more of text links and one banner in the sidebar permanently. Even i am promoting an affiliate program and i have placed a permanent banner in the side bar. I am getting a good response and much more clicks.

Regards
Divya

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Banners will usually get more clicks, but I like to keep them all the same size and aligned on the same side of the blog so that it doesn't distract and isn't cluttered......Links tend to be overlooked, and if your affiliate program is based on commission, that's not going to benefit you.....
Kiki

Promoting Affiliate Programs

Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:28 am

I think that Banners and Text Ads should be used in a combination. Some viewers prefer one, while others respond to the opposite.

Clickbank has a great option that sets up text links to look just like Adsense. Your affiliate code is embedded in each one and they vary each time someone is on your website.

Good Luck,
Glen Speckmann
Glen Speckmann

Re: Promoting Affiliate Programs

Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:35 am

Glen Speckmann wrote:I think that Banners and Text Ads should be used in a combination. Some viewers prefer one, while others respond to the opposite.

Clickbank has a great option that sets up text links to look just like Adsense. Your affiliate code is embedded in each one and they vary each time someone is on your website.

Good Luck,
Glen Speckmann

Good points Glen, but newbies need to be aware of the following requirements with ClickBank:

Customer Distribution Requirement

ClickBank will withhold payment of any account balance until the following criteria is met:

* Sales made with 5 or more different credit card numbers; and,
* Sales made with two different payment methods (either Visa, MasterCard, or PayPal). Note: PayPal purchases do not count toward the minimum 5 different credit card numbers.

This requirement is in place to help prevent Affiliates from abusing the ClickBank Affiliate program by using their accounts for the sole purpose of fraudulently collecting rebates and/or discounts on their own purchases.
Once you have met the Customer Distribution Requirement, your account will begin issuing payments normally, in accordance with our Accounting Policy, beginning on the next payment issuing date.

And to top it off, you will be charged a "Dormant Fee":

Dormant Accounts

Accounts with a positive balance but no earnings for an extended period of time are considered dormant. Dormant accounts are subject to a charge of $1 per pay period after 90 days of no earnings, $5 per pay period after 180 days of no earnings, and $15 per pay period after 365 days of no earnings.

I got lucky the first few weeks and sold a couple items but lost the commission to these requirements.

Good luck,
LeonBowes

Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Many affiliate programs are still living in the past and not providing appropriate "Blog Friendly" graphics. So in some cases you may need to design your own graphics.

Blogs are just sites, and banner blindness applies.

The most effective link is the one that matches your customers interest... and that's usually text.

When a person is reading your content and you provide a relevant link that appeals to their needs you earn a lot more money.
InternetMarketingIQ

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 pm

All 3 combined is better. But be sure that when you do banners especially in forums is that you obey what is written in their rules and regulation. If they say a banner can only be up to 300*100. then follow and create a 300*100 banner. Good Luck!
donnyg16

Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Its better if you use all the techniques, but with urls what i find quite good is you can hide them with in a text and they get quite a good click rate
alex021

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:08 am

it would be better if you use both. i'm also into credit card affiliate program, and i place textlinks and banners on my student credit card site. Some people will not pay attention on the banner and prefer clicking the textlink and vice versa.
studentcredit

Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:54 am

I think both is good but before doing that you should think that this affiliates should earn money. How to do it? First, Consider your Audience,you should put yourself in your readers shoes and consider what they might be looking for as they surf on your blog. Also,genuine recommendations and personal endorsements always work best, link to quality products and contextual deep links work best.The secret of contextual ads like Adsense is that a reader is reading a post on a particular topic on your blog and when they see an advertisement for that same product they are more likely to click it than if they saw an ad for something else. The same is true for affiliate programs. A banner to a general page on every page on your site won’t be anywhere near as effective as multiple links throughout your blog that advertiser products that are relevant for readers reading particular parts of your blog. I hope that this would help.
gillian2009

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Of course banners are the best. But you should try some text links too..maybe in your posts. Also try making a review for the product you promote
digital29

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Always remember that intrusive ads will not gain you any favor. So I would suggest that you make your ad stand out while not being in the way of the blog post that people are reading. It would help too if you get your ad up on posts that are relevant to your affmarketing effoerts.
garden

Next

Return to Monetizing Your Blog