Is Your Blog Lonely?

Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Hey guys,

It seems like many (most?) blogs don't have very many, if any, comments.

This makes these blogs look kinda lonely, and is perhaps discouraging for the author, who may feel like they are typing to no one.

Given that a lot of us may be struggling to get our blogs off the ground, I'm wondering if we could help each other out.

Specifically, would you be willing to regularly visit somebody's blog, and add a few thoughtful comments, if they did the same for you?

If a 5 to 10 people all got together in to this kind of partnership arrangement, they could all have hopping active blogs. Not a new idea.

Are you doing this? Do you wish you were? Worth discussing?
Publisher-For-You

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:49 pm

You may find that a lot of the blogs that have few comments are that way because the webmaster is very into comment moderating

My blogs have very few comments that I have allowed through but a lot of spammy comments have been filtered out

You mean well but alliances like you mentioned have better results when talking about joint ventures to promote a product
niche

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:12 pm

Thanks for your input niche.

niche wrote:You may find that a lot of the blogs that have few comments are that way because the webmaster is very into comment moderating

Ok, good point. Moderating is a good idea, agreed there.

If one wishes to set a high standard for comments, isn't it even more important to make relationships with folks who will contribute thoughtful comments?

niche wrote:You mean well but alliances like you mentioned have better results when talking about joint ventures to promote a product

You raise a good point.

Joint ventures are built on trust, and trust building has to begin somewhere, right?

Comments aren't crucial by themselves, agreed there, but they can be the opening move in building the kind of more profitable relationships you correctly point to.
Publisher-For-You

Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:14 am

Publisher-For-You wrote:
Ok, good point. Moderating is a good idea, agreed there.

If one wishes to set a high standard for comments, isn't it even more important to make relationships with folks who will contribute thoughtful comments?

Some comments are really spam, that you wouldn't want it to appear on the blog.
cherie27

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:56 am

The best way to attract your readers to leave their
comments is the content of your blog itself.

People will leave comments if they feel that it is
worth their time to read a quality post. As a gratitude
of saying thanks, they leave comments.

After they have leave their comments, you need to
give your response. Sometimes readers will come back
to see if you replied their comments.

Still, providing quality post is the most important
factor to increase your blog's readership.
ShawnLim

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:58 pm

I have to agree with ShawnLim. Content should be the foremost concern if you want to see a lot of genuine comments from your visitors.

A partnership among fellow bloggers is a nice idea though.
MrCat

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 am

Ya, content is king in the world of blogging.
Take one of the most successful bloggers and my
favourite blogger, Yaro Starak for example, he
builds his blog with quality content for 6 months.
He posts everyday just to get quality content on
this blog before he finally market and promote
his blog.

When he goes into the marketing phase of his blog, you
should know what happens. He gets a lot of traffic
and readership because his blog already has a very
strong foundation. This is the power of quality
content. :)
ShawnLim

Promoting Your Blog

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:52 am

1. Make sure your blog is a very interesting one. The topic you choose for your blog is a great key to success. If the topic you have chosen is a good one and it clicks, the blog will receive traffic. You need to get a high page rank and for that you need to optimize the blog.

2. The number of posts per day as well as the number of subscribers is an important indicator of the success and failure of blogs. Keep your blog optimized and try to get as many links and backlinks as possible to get traffic and a high page rank with search engines like Google and Yahoo.

3. The content of your blog should be good and it should be refreshed every now and then to make sure that the search engines spiders try to search your blog frequently.

4. It is good for your blog if the visitors can leave their comments. In this way your blog becomes communicative.
kennichi

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:39 am

pre moderate the comments instead of doing it on regular basis.
Announce your blog to the world.

Try some viral idea to generate first time visitors,like gift to top commenter or so.I guess JohnChow has used the viral great so that Google kicked him once
:wink:

Keep visitors returning with great posts.

Your blog will no longer lonely

Cheers!
affman

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:23 pm

i agree that i do some moderation on my blog, considering if i had 10 people comment as i did on their blog about 9 of them would be spammy comments. If it were genuine "pay-it-forward" comments that would be fine, but i think since people try to use them to direct traffic or make a blog look busy that spammers will always have a reason to overload with comments.
StarWAHF

Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:22 am

affman wrote:Try some viral idea to generate first time visitors,like gift to top commenter or so.

I know this thread is a bit old but it's relevant to my situation now on my [URL deleted - Please, use your signature file - Moderator]
Even though I did not see this post before, I am doing exactly what affman suggested and to my surprise, no one has taken the offer. I am thinking of upgrading the gift offer to something more attractive and see if it would work.
showerob

Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm

Well my blogs are lonely!! i dont get much comments. still i am happy because some times before i was actually tired of deleting spam comments.
Divya

Fri May 08, 2009 7:00 am

My blog also lonely but receive a lot traffic. Usually once I submit my link, sometimes most of visitor only visit the blog and leave it. Need energy to do a lot of promotion though.
k8th

Sat May 23, 2009 12:01 pm

k8th wrote:My blog also lonely but receive a lot traffic. Usually once I submit my link, sometimes most of visitor only visit the blog and leave it. Need energy to do a lot of promotion though.

Yea thats true.... Well now i am focusing on

* article submission
* forum posting (through signature)
* web directory submission
* blog directory submission
* participating in community sites like Yahoo Answers
* press release submission
* online group posting
* promotional ads
* link exchange
* Social bookmarkings
* Feed submission
Divya

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

I think its a matter if creating interesting content that you can share with your audience in that way they can participate and impart in your blog.
lesa mitchell

Next

Return to Promoting Your Blog