Affiliates without leaving my website ..

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi,

I'm currently displaying datafeeds within my website.
I want my affiliate website to complete the process of purchasing, payment and shipping through my website without sending clients to other websites. Can I do this through XML or Webservices calls?

Something similar to ian.com xml/web service.

I'm interested in this mainly to avoid having my customers go to other websites, since most of my customers are not english speakers, and won't be able to manage their English pages.

Any feedback is appreciated,

Majid
majid

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:37 pm

You cannot do that.

The whole purpose of having affiliates is to gain new customers. And new names on your list.

You are paid a commission for sending new customers to the seller. Those are the seller's customers, not yours.

You are talking about hijacking the customers on the way to the seller, and actually "stealing" his customers. That is not how things work.

If the people you want to sell cannot handle English to buy, they will also not be able to handle the English required to read or use whatever you are selling.
pete

Shop.com business model

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Majid,

Are you referring to business model like Shop.com, where many stores are shown on Shop.com and the shopping cart + checkout are all on Shop.com?

I believe Pete is correct the model of the affiliate industry does not allow it.

I believe Shop.com must have direct separate relationship with the stores that they advertise.

Regards,
DataFeedFile

Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi Pete & Andrew,

Sample of this business model is a Hotel Reservation System Affiliated with ian.com
Where you get a datafeed from them. Then you make reservations through your website by calling their web services through XML. You will get a confirmation and the customer too.

Another sample is done by Web Hosting and domain names companies, where you can do everything within your website. There are also some software products that you can re-brand and sell them directly through your websites. Or just sell them as they are.

These are services and legal business models (not hijacking), however, I couldn't find so far same business models for real products such as clothes, shoes and electronics.

I haven't looked at shop.com affiliate program closely but all cj.com & linkshare.com affiliates are almost the same. They will just provide datafeeds for advance users. I'm looking for an affiliate that will let me provide my customers a complete shopping system from showing products until I sell them.

Regards,
majid

Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:17 pm

If you are talking about real products, you are asking about dropshipping.

You set up a website with provided (or your own) images (and sometimes live feeds). You make the sale from your site, you get paid into your account(s).

Then you turn around and order from the dropshipper, who will send the orders out under your name.

There are thousands of dropshippers around the world, most are US based, as it has been going on there for decades. The idea is now elsewhere and you will often not get as good a discount.

I doubt Allan wants to spend a lot of time and energy on dropshipping, as it's entirely different than affiliate sales.

Here's a link to dropship sources -
www.wholesalesourcesdirectory.com
pete

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Pete,

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Majid
majid

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:05 pm

You are welcome.

If you have any questions, PM me. I don't feel right talking much about it here, as this is an affiliates forum. I've sold $ 250,000 worth of goods from a dropshipper, do have some experience with it.
pete

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:58 pm

pete wrote:I doubt Allan wants to spend a lot of time and energy on dropshipping, as it's entirely different than affiliate sales.

If forum members are interested, I'd be happy to create a dropshipping section on this forum. It's been discussed here occasionally.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:39 pm

The concept is new to me, and I would like to read articles, reviews on different sources.

So far, I think doba.com offers good service with wide number of products and good service. However, I'm not sure about its prices.

Regards,
majid

Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:26 pm

You'll find there are middlemen, like doba, and then there are actual wholesalers who will dropship directly for you. Those are who you want to find.

Here's a link to a free, no obligation book on dropshipping. No sales pitch, plenty of articles and a book - http://www.internetmerchantsassociation.info/

And here are some sources - www.wholesalesourcesdirectory.com There is a $ 12.99 fee there, but you get over 20,000 NO SCAM, real wholesaler and dropshipper contacts.
pete

Re

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:55 pm

I also have a same problem and I was looking for the same solutions. Thanks for the above suggestions.
kerry.lime

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:37 pm

pete wrote:You cannot do that.

The whole purpose of having affiliates is to gain new customers. And new names on your list.

You are paid a commission for sending new customers to the seller. Those are the seller's customers, not yours.

You are talking about hijacking the customers on the way to the seller, and actually "stealing" his customers. That is not how things work.

If the people you want to sell cannot handle English to buy, they will also not be able to handle the English required to read or use whatever you are selling.

Thats not correct its absolutely possible. You are not hijacking their customer infect you are making more sales for them with your own brand. Many companies offer web services and API(Application Programming Interface) to facilitate e commerce re branding.Even Amazon offers such services I hope you cannot steal customers of Amazon. Coming to the question, make sure your selected affiliate program offers API or web services. This cannot be done through data feeds. But with data feeds you can do domain masking that will give an idea to your visitors that they are on the same site.
anita123

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 pm

majid wrote:The concept is new to me, and I would like to read articles, reviews on different sources.

So far, I think doba.com offers good service with wide number of products and good service. However, I'm not sure about its prices.

Regards,

Dear Majid,

Just an advise. Never Ever go for drop ship company. It's can easily be done with affiliate programs. You can build a professional ecommerce store with web services. How is it possible that you are acting like a sales person for a company and still you have to pay for membership.

Select Your Niche, Build A professional store and arrange a developer who ca use web services. I bet about 70% of stores are operating like this.

I will not tell you further how to do this. Do your research.
anita123

Return to Affiliate Data Feeds