How to build a relationship with my subscribers?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:36 am

Hi,

May I know what is the best way to build a relationship with my subscribers from my email list? How long does you take before your subscribers start to buy products from you?

Thank you.
eddywoo

Re: How to build a relationship with my subscribers?

Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:24 am

eddywoo wrote:May I know what is the best way to build a relationship with my subscribers from my email list?

Give them valuable information they can use.

How long does you take before your subscribers start to buy products from you?

As soon as they trust you.

The more genuinely useful, valuable information you give them, the more they will trust your recommendations.

Showing that you're experienced in their industry and revealing a little of your own personality should help, too. It's all about making a connection with your reader. It's hard to do that if you're anonymous.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 pm

AllanGardyne wrote:
eddywoo wrote:May I know what is the best way to build a relationship with my subscribers from my email list?

Give them valuable information they can use.

How long does you take before your subscribers start to buy products from you?

As soon as they trust you.

The more genuinely useful, valuable information you give them, the more they will trust your recommendations.

Showing that you're experienced in their industry and revealing a little of your own personality should help, too. It's all about making a connection with your reader. It's hard to do that if you're anonymous.

Can you suggest some ways I can adopt to overcome this "anonymous" problem and build a connection with my subscribers at the same time?
eddywoo

Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:56 pm

eddywoo wrote:Can you suggest some ways I can adopt to overcome this "anonymous" problem and build a connection with my subscribers at the same time?

Talk about yourself.

Not too much, but not too little either.

Try to find a good balance, where the reader is getting to know you as a person, but the mailing also contains hard information that the reader can put to use.

Imagine you are writing an email to a friend. Include little details about yourself, keep them brief, and keep them fun.

Dan Ho was teaching affiliates, and in the midst of that explained how he built his business as a stay at home Dad, with two twin two year old boys in his lap half the day. Stories like that stick with a reader, and make them smile.

And the story had a relevant point, if he can do that, we probably can too, given we don't have twins to juggle.

Little stories, real stories, about how you were dumb and made a big mistake, but then learned and recovered could be a way to overcome a reader's natural defenses.

Weave this personal bonding in to writing that is primarily about solving a problem for the reader.

Here's a guy that does a pretty good job of this, you might want to use his newsletter as an example.

http://lazydudepublishing.com/

You can practice right here on the forum. Write some posts that contain useful info, and also help us get to know you as a real person.
Publisher-For-You

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:47 pm

Publisher-For-You wrote:You can practice right here on the forum. Write some posts that contain useful info, and also help us get to know you as a real person.

Excellent suggestion!

Eddy, Perhaps you could start by adding a signature file with a link to your site, so forum members can get to know and trust you.

I think a photo on a website helps, too.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:56 pm

AllanGardyne wrote:I think a photo on a website helps, too.

Yes, good idea. I've been pondering adding short videos to my sites, primarily to make the personal connection.

I'm not sure folks really want to watch long sales pitch videos too much, as you can't scroll forward etc.

But, if the videos are small in size, and quite short in length, I could see working them in to the copy throughout the site.

You're reading down the page, and here's the author who pops in for a few sentences to add some detail, and then they're gone, letting you get back to your reading.

If anyone has seen this done effectively, perhaps you can show us where?

All that said, photos are easier. :-)
Publisher-For-You

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 am

Catch their interest by showing off a compelling product. It's preferable that you are using that particular product as it would make it relatively easier for you to discuss what that product is all about. Next, gain their valuable trust. Timeliness is important, as much as being able to deliver.
userinsight

Return to List Building and Newsletters