Problems with OnlyWire

Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:19 am

I read yesterday in a news release that there could be problems for anyone using OnlyWire or other similar automated social bookmarking sites. Apparently Linkatopia has declared war on Onlywire and similar sites and will treat their submissions as spam and inform other social communities of this. This could mean that if you have used onlywire your site could be in danger as being treated as spam. The information seemed genuine and wasn't touting another product, it said that in future you should do your submissions manually. Anyone else know anything?
luboff

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 pm

I haver not heard that, but Onlywire has been having technical problems anyway. At least half of the time I try and use them their serivce is not working.

Might be time to find another social bookmarking strategy.
jschuman

Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:20 pm

Do bookmarking manually for individual site, I don't think it is safe giving your login details for most of the bookmarking sites to such automated service.
bobchrist

Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:21 am

I use onlywire as well as socialmarker.
Socialmarker is a service that provides you to bookmark your sites individually into the social bookmarking sites. You will take about half an hour to finish the task. And you are able to see the site bookmark appear on the social bookmarking sites.
cherie27

Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:58 am

At some point any automated service will fail.

The bigger problem is the use of programs that leave footprints the Search Engines can ban.

While it might be a neat idea to leave blog comments all over the web today, tomorrow the Big G or Yahoo or MSN or all three may decide they don't like the practice and filter it.

And worse they may even decide to place a penalty upon those who are using this tactic.

Imagine how you'll feel when you rankings suddenly plummet because you put all your eggs in one basket and got caught.

How easy is it going to be to go and remove all those comments with your URL?

Something to think about before you go out and dump a ton of links back to your site using any one method.
InternetMarketing_IQ

Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:54 am

Everything makes sense here that's being said, however...

How can you be punished for a site linking to YOUR site?

Suppose we had no control over that.

I could see if WE linked to Onlywire, etc.. but if THEY are linking to our sites, how could ours been seen as Spam?

Or is it due to the notion of "if your links are there, you obviously played the game"...

Very interesting! Thanks.
bright-eyed

Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:12 pm

I think the technical problem is not rectified by Onlywire. I've totally stopped bookmarking because of it.
psp

Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Not sure how they are going to implement this. The number of websites bookmarked daily via onlywire is just stupendous

What are they going to do? penalize all of them?
niche

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:20 pm

I think these automated bookmarking sites are a hot place for spammers... :cry:
Andrewlyn

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:01 am

Bookmarking and page raking such a good job in SEO post but Social bookmarking is a services that providing individual sites to a bookmark.
schatzman

Return to Promoting Your Blog