Affiliate vs Sponsors?

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:19 am

I am starting a membership website based on testing new work from home and home based business schemes, and have almost gotten to launch. However, I am looking for ways to suppliment the site's income (and my income to be honest) until it is self sufficient. Is it more efficient to sign up for a crapload of affiliate programs and link them all over the website or to try to find one main sponsor? I've already signed up for the AdSense, main page is currently being reviewed. I want to launch in the next week, so I could really use some advice.

Also, just as a FYI (not a shameless marketing ploy, I swear) I will be looking for a site tester or two to run thru the site from start to finish and test all links, etc. Anyone interested would get free Guinea Pig membership for 6 months. Email me if you would be interested and would have time to go thru it around this time next week (3-4 main pages, forums, log in, registration, roughly 250 links).
blurb blitz

setting up ads

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:39 pm

From the deafening silence I begin to see it is possible that I had a retarded moment. I will just do affiliate for now and continue to look for permanant sponsorship. My question is, what is the most effective way to set up your affiliate ads so they are not intrusive but are still highly visible?
blurb blitz

Good affiliate programs

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:29 pm

Also, what are some good affiliate programs? I don't want to get screwed over in details, which I have read about over the last few days. I just want something that pays a decent rate without having to go out and pay a lot for marketing...
blurb blitz

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:06 am

Hi,

I don't know what you mean with a sponsor.

But there are lots and lots of good affiliate programs.

I can only say some criteria to look for.

For digital products are paid high commission of often 50% to 75% (for example look in Clickbank)

It is recommendable to chose a reputable affiliate network, so when you promote several products, you will paid reliable, and your commissions add up from several products in a single account (if you promote several products, which would rather be with a theme based or shop like website, where you promote a whole range of products).

About Affiliate Ads, better think not about ads, but about "preselling"!!

Ads are ok to show some on a page, but they don't bring big revenue compared to the amount of traffic. If you have a high traffic site, it i easy money, but else, you need to learn how to presell.

To get a good picture of that, you can start with Ken Evoy's Affiliate Masters Course (just do a search - it's free avaliable).

Reviews or product comparisons are a very effective and profitable method of preselling, especially if they are really personal and in-depth (so if you honestly endorse something from your own experience).

Also if you write helpful articles and put a affiliate link in, with a product that will help your audience further.

So, much more effective than ads is really helpful content with embedded text affiliate links.

Hope that helps a bit.

Andy
Andyz

Thanks

Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:16 am

Thank you for the info, but it raised even more questions in my odd little brain. I have never heard of clickbank before, but it seems they are everywhere. I have never used them before, so naturally I don't trust what I don't know. Are there any affiliate programs that run thru paypal, or let you choose what form of payment you get?
blurb blitz

Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Clickbank pays with sending you checks every two weeks.
At Paydotcom.com you can choose to get paid with paypal.
Others mostly pay per check or per bank transfer I believe.

You can also promote products that are sold with the "7 dollar script", there are loads of them, because it's very popular and it works very good. The payment is by paypal or another virtual payment processor like paypal.
Andyz

Re: Affiliate vs Sponsors?

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:13 am

blurb blitz wrote:Is it more efficient to sign up for a crapload of affiliate programs and link them all over the website or to try to find one main sponsor?

You're unlikely to find a company willing to sponsor your site before you begin attracting lots of traffic. You could think about that option again if you get to the stage where you're getting about 50,000 or 100,000 visitors a month.

It's much easier to use AdSense ads and affiliate links.

For AdSense, there's heaps of very useful information on the AdSense website. I strongly recommend you spend some time studying it. The Google people want you to succeed, so they have worked hard at providing useful info.

For affiliate links, Andy has given you very good tips. You'll find you're much more likely to achieve sales if you enthusiastically review a product and provide an affiliate link in your review.

A crapload of affiliate programs? I'm not sure how carefully you chose those words, but if you don't have a high opinion of a product, you shouldn't promote it. You have tens of thousands of affiliate programs and millions of products to choose from. You should very carefully select good products that will interest the visitors you're trying to attract.

Try to imagine exactly what your visitors are looking for. Then promote it on your site. That's the key.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:00 am

A crapload of affiliate programs? I'm not sure how carefully you chose those words, but if you don't have a high opinion of a product, you shouldn't promote it.

Hehehe, that's a very good point! :D
Andyz

diversity in your portfolio?

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:34 am

Word choice not withstanding, I was working under the impression that it is wise to have at least a few affiliate programs going to start with, that way you can see what sells and what doesn't. I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. Also, would that not allow me to reach a much wider audience base?

FYI, I'm not really concerned with time. I am disabled and really have nothing else to do but find a way to make this work. I am trying to avoid trial and error by standing on the shoulders of greatness :D
blurb blitz

Re: diversity in your portfolio?

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:20 am

blurb blitz wrote:Also, would that not allow me to reach a much wider audience base?

I don't really understand your point here. I think you'll attract visitors by having material they're interested in published on your website. I don't think the products you choose to advertise or promote aren't likely to attract visitors - unless you have some innovative ideas about how you're going to be reviewing those products in a specially interesting way.

Perhaps I've missed the point.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Maybe I'm missing the boat...

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:31 am

Basically what my website is designed to do is test out home based businesses, marketing ideas, affiliate programs, basically any method of making money on the web. I plan to focus mainly on HBB's since they are the most prevalent with the highest scam rate. The site was launched last night with a decent hit load in the last 24 hours, but very few sign ups for membership (at last count I am at .3% if I'm doing my math right at 4:30 in the morning).

What I am trying to do is find more ways not only to drive traffic to the site thru search engines, etc, but also to help offset the running costs until I have a decent membership base. The interest is there, and considering I am using nothing but free advertising and basically hoofing it all over the web, I am pleased with the hits. I want to offer more on the home page than just sign ins, etc that way even if they are not interested in joining my site they might see something else they would at least like to look at.

Am I off base on how to go about this? I would not be suprised, since the advertising part has only come about in the last few days and I probably have not done enough research. Suggestions? SAR's? I can take honesty.
blurb blitz

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:39 pm

You could try asking for a site review in the Site Review section. You may get some useful tips to help you understand why people aren't signing up.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Return to General Affiliate Discussion