Making a product review proposal

Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:20 pm

Hello,-

new to this forum here.

If one has a relatively new (9 months old) blog with a modest but loyal following and wants to do a product review, what's the best way to approach the author of the product? Is it best to propose "send me a copy for free, and I will do a review which will create publicity for it" or is it best to buy the product to demonstrate that one actually is willing to pay for the product?

Thanks a lot!
Vahagn
[URL deleted - please, use your signature file - Moderator]
Vahagn

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:44 am

If you want to generate positive reviews of your blog or product check with reviewme or sponsored reviews like program that might help you.
bobchrist

Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi - Your blog will suffer if you do paid reviews. Even if people approached me to do them - and they do, I would not risk losing my regular traffic by resorting to paid reviews.

I have watched some blogs that were doing really well lose heaps of their traffic once they resort to paid reviews. The might bring in a bit of money in the short term, but they won't help the long term success of your blog.

The only exception is when the reviews are genuine and they are on something your audience would be interested in. Examples of these are Problogger and John Chow giving honest reviews/feedback on other blogs. This info is fine, as their blogs are about blogging and it shows their readers what not to do.
Catherine

Return to Monetizing Your Blog