How do you build a list from zilch?

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:10 pm

This is probably the most asked question from newbies looking to build a list.

It's all so simple to sell tons and tons of products when you have a list, but how do you get started on building a responsive and targeted list?

Your views would be very much appreciated.
kljcoach

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:35 am

There are many ways to build a list...

What I would do is set up a squeeze page.

If you need help with this please see my sig file...joe
jgiannettict

Re: How do you build a list from zilch?

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:44 am

kljcoach wrote:
It's all so simple to sell tons and tons of products when you have a list, but how do you get started on building a responsive and targeted list?

In my experience it's not quite as simple as your statement suggests <grin>, there's still a lot to learn to do it well.

But you're on the right track, in my case and many others I know of, building a list then selling to it has shown itself to much more productive then just advertising and going for a sale directly.

How to do it?

1) Search Google for one of the many courses on Listbuilding. Just make sure the author is recognised as an expert in the field. Paul Myers comes to mind as one.

2) My own newsletter has a very extensive video tutorial section on Listbuilding, but a word of warning, it's not a lightweight treatment of the subject, you will need to take some time to *study* it, start putting it into practice, then review it again, perhaps many times. Worth the effort though.

Cheers
Allan
dadathome

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Thanks Mr X!

Have just signed up to your newsletter. Will post my views here in due course.
kljcoach

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Hello Keith,

Apart from having a squeeze page, you also need to give some sort of high quality gift or bonus if you want people to be in your list.

Unfortunately nowadays, most marketers simply give a lousy gift just because they wanted to gather list. I think this is not helping this industry at all.

Why not you create your own bonus yourself? You can simply write a 10 to 15 page report on helping people in need on whatever your niche is. I found out this has help me a lot. Hope this help.
jaihyppo

Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:53 am

One easy way to get your list started is simply to start writing your messages, create a squeeze page, purchase an autoresponder service, and then use article marketing to drive traffic to your squeeze page - that, my friend, will help you get started!
Getagrip7

List building tips

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:22 am

Here's some list building tips from a recent blog post of mine. Hope they help.

Some Pointers in Building Your Opt-in List

• Put a ‘subscribe link’ or ‘subscribe box’ on your web site. It's advisable to put it on all the pages. Then make sure that it's strategically positioned - easy to locate by the visitors. The upper right hand corner of the page is a good position.

• Promote your website and then promote it even more. Give it more exposure to get more subscribers.

• Come up with contests or give away freebies and goodies that'll require visitors to give out their email addresses to be able to join.

• Give out information, articles and updates to your clients with your links in it. Make sure that the information is relevant to the client.

• Offer free courses to your visitors. This'll help maintain a good relationship with your subscribers.

• Use your signature to make your opt-in list expand. Every time you send out messages be sure the link information to your opt-in is included.

• Do some networking. Join some forums or discussions in your niche and build relationships with the people there. This'll be a good way for you to get more contacts and clients.

Once you’ve built a substantial opt-in list, make sure to maintain it well. Keep in contact with your subscribers. Send them updates. Give out special offers and helpful tips. Relevant freebies are always appreciated.
The Info Gal

Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:14 am

It requires a lot of work for me but it will pay off.

1. Niche/topic research- high in demand
2. Good and impressive squeeze page
3. High quality of free gift
4. Promotion! promotion! promotion!

For promotion you can have a single product or ebook that covers this important topic.

Cheers
mohdhafizkamal

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 am

Can you build a good list by creating a website filled with informative articles on one topic and having an opt-in form on that website?

Will this list be open to marketing efforts?
mindovered

Return to List Building and Newsletters