How to Skyrocket Your Opt-In Rate in One Easy Lesson!

Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:03 pm

I'm looking for some great techniques to build opt-in lists to use and share with others. To get the ball rolling, here's a great tip for you...

There's one very easy tactic to skyrocket the opt-in rate for your list. You'll see every Internet Marketing expert doing it, but it's a tactic that's overlooked by most newbies. In fact, they probably don't overlook it, they're probably too scared to use it!

I'm going to share a very powerful Internet Marketing tactic to help you build your opt-in list. This tactic, if used correctly will skyrocket your opt-in subscription rate... but used wrongly, it could damage your image, so be warned!

OK, this is very simple.

You want people to sign up to your list...

You want them to give you their email address...

But, as you well know, people are reluctant to give out their email address these days because of all the problems with spam. So, how do you get them to sign up to your list? What can you do to make them feel confident that you're genuine and won't bombard them with useless information 3 or 4 times a day?

The answer's quite simple...

You give them something... for nothing!

Yes, you heard correct!

You give them something for nothing... absolutely free... no charge... no commitment... nothing!

Now, here's where you have to be careful...

You must give them something of value! Give them rubbish and you can be sure as day's day and night's night, they won't sign up to your list! You must give them something relevant! If your niche's aimed at vegetarians don't give them a product connected to cooking the best roast beef dinner!

That may sound obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people get it wrong! Give people irrelevant information or low-quality information or products and you'll lose all credibility... and you'll lose it very fast! Look, nobody expects you to be perfect. Just be yourself... be genuine... and try and help people. Don't look for quick sales and quick profits.

To do well on the Internet with your marketing, you need to build a reputation, you need to build trust.

So, how do you do that?

What do you give people?

Create your own eBook. It doesn't have to be too big. Ten pages or more should do it. Write it on a topic that's in the news within your niche. You can search Google for blogs or forums in your niche to find out what's hot. Make it interesting and useful and add a touch of humour. Above all else, make it unique; make it yours. If you're short of ideas, do some research. Read some articles, refer to some books. Write down some notes and then create your own article based on those notes adding your own thoughts and conclusions.

When you've done that, find some other quality free products within your niche to add to it and offer those as well. But not too many! Just stick to five or six, ten at most. Think about creating a free member's area on your website, where you can offer other free information, advice, recommendations etc... just like I have on my site!

Tempt people with free mini-courses.

Offer free life-time support via email.

Now be creative... think of something you can do that nobody else's doing!

OK, get the idea?

Please share this post with your friends and i look forward to reading your own ideas.
kljcoach

Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Keith

There are a couple of drawbacks to your theory. It's not as effective today.

First, ezines and newsletters aren't what they're cracked up to be. Everyone has an ezine today. Five years ago a good quality ezine was the rule, not the exception. Today it's just the opposite because all the "gurus" tout "the money is in the list" so everyone has a list. I call it a garbage list!

First, you have to offer a free gift to get your list and now some webmasters are having to offer another free gift to get them to read their ezine.

Second, un-open rates have increased to 40% or 50% and there are a couple of reasons for that. One I stated above is lousy quality. The other is that because of free gifts.

Do you really want a list for the sake of a list? I don't. I would rather have 100 people who want my information on a monthly or weekly basis than 200 who subscribe for the free gift.

Is it wrong to offer a free gift or something of value? I don't think so. Most of my sites offer something of value in exchange for the email address. But then we can't complain because our open rates are only 45% can we?

Finally. We have to be more creative today. I don't even like the term ezine or newsletter. That's boring and who wants to read that garbage? I don't.

Our so called ezines need to deliver a lot more than just news or some crappy sales letter. To gain trust, today you have to be different and deliver good content, not a better "freebie".

Just my 3 cents.
bkbiloxi

Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:42 am

I agree with Keith. I know most people do that nowadays but unfortunately the free gift or report are basically rubbish. You are going to give a good content even if it is free. Another way is to give a discount promotion or coupon.

Hey Paul, since you disagree with Keith, may I know how you build up your lists?
jaihyppo

List

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:42 am

Hi,

Paul, I appreciate your post. I just finished a post about trying to increase the number of confirmation emails that get opened (asking for suggestions). You have a point, I'll take the 100 quality subscribers. Thanks.

Much Success,
George Pierce
George Pierce

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Old tactic here...

Like mentioned above giving something for free builds a list of tire kickers. I give away free woodworking plans to encourage sign ups and I actually have people email me and bitch because "free plans are suppose to be free I don't want to give my email to get them"

A better tactic is to surprise people with a free gift but only mention it in the confirm email. THis will be a surprise to them and will encourage them to confirm.
sophist

Return to List Building and Newsletters