PPC Tips...

Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi all!

Just wanted to share some tips I advice some of my clients.

For PayPerClick campaigns, don't just rely on using top keywords for your PPC campaign - this is the reason why others are failing. Bidding on top keywords will yield you less as competition for these are stiff already. The technique here is opting for other long tail keywords that is more likely to yield specific results because specific searches on long tail keywords or phrases are the ones that usually convert. Those who employ such search are more likely to buy IMO.

PPC is a trial and error campaign for newbies. Always test the water before jumping in. Also don't bid that high at first, weigh first what keywords convert in your niche after a test run so you will know what works and what doesn't.

You should also try out other PPC providers for more reach on your campaign and to test what PPC platforms works best for you.

What are your effective techniques for a better ROI on PPC? Share in guys! ;)
MrCat

Re: PPC Tips...

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:12 am

MrCat wrote: Also don't bid that high at first, weigh first what keywords convert in your niche after a test run so you will know what works and what doesn't.

I would respectfully disagree here.

Bidding low has the potential to ruin your CTR and essentially nuke your whole campaign.

I would suggest bidding high at first, then over time bring your bids down.
etj4582

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:01 pm

etj4582 wrote:
MrCat wrote: Also don't bid that high at first, weigh first what keywords convert in your niche after a test run so you will know what works and what doesn't.

I would respectfully disagree here.

Bidding low has the potential to ruin your CTR and essentially nuke your whole campaign.

I would suggest bidding high at first, then over time bring your bids down.

IMO, you need to be on the safer side of doing a PPC campaign most especially if you haven't done it yet on a particular niche or a total newbie to the whole thing. If you bid high at first and no favorable result - you lose a lot of money instead of experementing with what keywords convert for your niche.
MrCat

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:11 pm

MrCat wrote:
IMO, you need to be on the safer side of doing a PPC campaign most especially if you haven't done it yet on a particular niche or a total newbie to the whole thing. If you bid high at first and no favorable result - you lose a lot of money instead of experementing with what keywords convert for your niche.

Again, I disagree. I have tried it both ways, and starting with low bids never gets a campaign off the ground.

Very simply, you are not going to get clicks without a high ad placement. You will suffer a low CTR, Google will deem your ad and site as low relevancy, and end up charging you more for less clicks.

I would suggest instead of bidding low, choose a narrow range of highly-targeted keywords and bid high to establish CTR. You will also learn quickly which keywords convert.

From there, you can dump the non-performers, lower your bids on the converters and keep your high ad placement. After that, simply add more keywords and repeat the process.
etj4582

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:37 pm

SO you would advice a newbie to spend that much at his first shot at this?

That is one of the reasons why a lot of people are failing in PPC and does not want to venture to it further.

Being a PPC provider, I would be more than glad to advice my client on what you are saying as this would yield more revenue for me. But instead I would advice them to experiment with it first on a test run. I don't want to lure them into thinking that spending big bucks on this would readily give them results. I am more geared at satisfying my clients than running after their pockets.

I suggest them to bid low at first - and then bid higher the next time on keywords that converts on their niche. The test run will not always bring in favorable results and may lose them money but since they bid low, they suffer lower losses. IMO, this is better than suffering a big loss from bidding high that they lose their budget for the next campaign.
MrCat

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:52 pm

See that's the thing.

You won't burn through a lot of money if you test a few keywords at a time and set your daily spending limit to your budget.

Doing it your way, they could end up spending money on a lot of go-nowhere keywords, getting their Adwords account stuck in the low-CTR rut (btw, which they may never get out of), and then give up because they may never see success.

Google penalizes accounts with low CTRs and rewards those accounts with high ones.

When I started I actually DID IT your way and lost over $10K with very little to show for it - except an education. My advice comes from the school of hardknocks.
etj4582

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 pm

Well I respect your notion on this matter as this is an open thread and sharing different views could benefit others in the process. There are always several methods employed on every aspect of IM. It all boils down to the what kind of results it would yield. Be it an aggressive or conservative campaign, it is still a case to case basis IMO.

I wonder what other people's views are?
MrCat

Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:06 pm

You both have very valid points, however there are tons of methods on how to start your bidding and where to take it to.

A few things to think about and remember when setting your bids up with your strategy are:

1. Have you created your adgroups (keywords) to be relevant to the landing page as well as the ad without spamming the words in? This will lower your costs.

2. Just because you opt in to pay a max of $5.00 a bid, that is just a max, when you start out, if all is relevant and you have a good click through rate, you will more than likely not be paying the $5.00 a bid.

I bid $3.50 on some keywords and spend about .17 per click. They are also high converters.

3. Think about the traffic and the relevance of your ads and keywords to the products and services you are providing. I just made an extremely long post (which I won't link to from here) on another forum, but in short, if you were doing electronicsnation.com and you see phillips refurbished tvs as a highly searched term, you might want to bid on it because it is fairly targeted and highly searched, however, check and see if you can get your terms more specific like Phillips refurbished 42" plasma HDTV and you should be converting more, and lowering your costs due to relevancy and the chance there may not be as much competition.

4. Are your terms on broad match, phrase, exact? If all your terms are on broad match and you have a highly searched term with a low budget, I would advise not bidding high at all because your budget will be gone very shortly. You may want to bid low as tons of people are searching the term and you'll get more exposure.

5. Are you going to make your ad flare and get clicked more, or are you going to make it hide amongst others to get the people reading ads instead of people clicking on keywords?

This goes with what overall strategy you are using for the keyword groups.

There are lots more things to think about with it, but those are justa few of my thoughts on things to think about before you start your bidding.
liquidate

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:15 am

Hi liquidate, Thanks for the useful tips.

You're welcome to create a signature containing links to your sites, if you wish.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:40 am

Thanks, I'll do that in the morning.
liquidate

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 am

I like your thoughts on this liquidate. Very nice assumption ;)
MrCat

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:59 pm

MrCat wrote:I like your thoughts on this liquidate. Very nice assumption ;)

Thank you Mr. Cat.
liquidate

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:01 pm

to generate a high CTR I have tight small adgroups each with their own ads to match keywords and get it bolded.

I also like to bein the top 1-3 positions to get more in front of the user.

Yes you will pay more, but you can test your products out and conversion rates faster... if you dont have a positive ROI after 200 or so clicks move on

I bid as high as $8.00 for some keywords :o
greentea

Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:30 pm

greentea wrote:Yes you will pay more, but you can test your products out and conversion rates faster...

In that case you are only testing conversion rates at that position and not at positions 3-6 or 7-9 which may turn out to have even higher rates as you are now hitting people who are reading ads and not just clicking keywords that are bolded and up top.

High CTRs aren't always good, you have to have High CTRs with High Coversions that do not reverse for a high CTR to be good, unless your goal is just to drive traffic because you sell ad space at a CPM basis, however, that is a whole different story.
liquidate

Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:22 am

Hi all -

Brand new here and trying to make a go at affiliate marketing too.

Google Adwords has me a bit perplexed. I've read a lot on how to play the game at Adwords, but I've missed the boat on my first couple of tries. In doing so, I'm afraid I'm screwing up my account rating too. My keywords were forced inactive by Google after only about 85 impressions (0 CT's).
--------------------------------------------
[This is all off-topic and was deleted - please start a new topic - Moderator]
BobsBiz

Next

Return to Paid Advertising