Hired help problems

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:12 am

I hired a freelance web designer two weeks ago to design my website in a month. Here is my problem, for more than a week already he was suppose to do a four page under construction page and what i get till now is a half done landing page and three 404 pages. He says it takes time to find the right look by tweaking and testing things. I am not so good in web site creation so i did not say anything. But i feel that this is taking much too long and will not be able to get the site up on schedule.

I have seen his past work and it is good. Plus he is willing to forgo initial payment till my site earns money.

Please advice.

John
[email protected]

Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:08 am

If you gave him a month, I wouldn't start complaining until the month is up.

I hope he's going to teach you how to maintain the website and add articles to it. I wouldn't want to be in a position where it was dependent on someone else every time I wanted to make a small change to a website.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:11 pm

I don't blame you for being ticked off. There is no excuse for screwing around with people. If you can't get it done and your too busy or whatever, never mess up another person, period. When you're in the service business...do whatever has to be done to make the client happy. I'm from the old school, that's probably the difference.
HateCable

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:18 pm

A good approach, even for small web site developments, is to require weekly reports & deliverables. If, for example, you provided 10 pages of text along with general graphics guidelines to a developer then it is reasonable to expect output each week. The developer may need flexibility to say deliver his plan the first week, developed graphics the second week, and coded pages for review on weeks 3 & 4 - or whatever is mutually agreeable. Point is, require progress in your hand each week and if you see things slipping ask them to spend more time on your project and less on their other customers.

Jason
Fiatlux

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:39 am

Those guys are like painters, printers and home improvement guys, they lie. Never finish by the time they first tell you.

It's part of the job description.

I've got a friend in the web design business. She's crying about sub-contractors all the time.

Over-commit, under-deliver. Story of their lives.
pete

Re: Hired help problems

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:45 am

[email protected] wrote:I have seen his past work and it is good. Plus he is willing to forgo initial payment till my site earns money.

He may be prioritizing clients who pay in advance. If you think he can't reach your expectations then It's time to find someone else.
lukeatme7

Re: Hired help problems

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 am

lukeatme7 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:I have seen his past work and it is good. Plus he is willing to forgo initial payment till my site earns money.

He may be prioritizing clients who pay in advance. If you think he can't reach your expectations then It's time to find someone else.

that is what im thinking too. to the TS, if you're not satisfied, well better hire someone else then. make sure that you get a sample and you are clear about what your deals. just for both parties to be safe.
abrooke

Return to Do-It-Your-Selfers