Is Affiliate Talk Forum Gone?

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:27 am

Is anyone here a member of Phil Wiley's Affiliate Talk Forum? Has he taken the site down? I haven't been able to connect to it for about 3 days. All I get is a page saying 'Sorry, we couldn't find "http://www.affiliatetalkforum.com/index.php".'

Jim

[Quotes have been placed around the non-working link to unhyperlink it. Admin.]
Jim Guinn

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:54 am

well i hope Allan doesn't mind us mentioning other forums on his forum? but i can't get on either. not that i go there at all because Allans forum is the best, don't you agree Jim Guinn?
mattie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi mattie,

By all means, AP is the best affiliate forum, but I do belong to several. I don't think Allan will have a problem with me mentioning AT. Afterall, it is not an affiliate link and it is another resource for affiliate marketers....oh, and Allan is also a member of AT... :wink:

Jim
Jim Guinn

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:21 pm

well i guess we all have something in common.

still can't get on it though.
mattie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:25 am

I'm not a great Phil Wiley fan but check his blog for a response about his forum.

He indicates that it might take a week or two to set up. He posted this today 04/08/07.
COxford

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:07 am

Hi COxford,

Does Phil have more than 1 blog? I did a search for his blog and found www.philwiley.com but the last entry is from March 9.

Can you post the URL or quote what he said in his blog?

I know he was having a lot of problems with spam and just installed some safe guards.

Jim
Jim Guinn

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 am

well i suppose you've heard about Phil's forum disaster from his last newsletter (letterfrom Phil 354) in it he explains his problems.

oh well, it makes even the bigest names in IM look human. even Phil has his bad days and challenges.
mattie

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:49 am

Phil says the site crashed two weeks ago, and all attempts to rescue it failed. His web host told him the hard drive on the server was destroyed and so were the backups.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:07 pm

Reopening it would be a lot of hard work because everything has been lost.

----------

It's partly my fault for not downloading regular backups to my hard drive (and let that serve as a warning to you with your blogs,etc) but I understood from the host that everything was duplicated on Raid discs, plus nightly backed up up to another server.

----------

It's not just the posts that have been lost, but also the membership list (which would requite each member to rejoin) the banned member list, the script installation - which cost me several hundred $ in installation and modification fees, etc.

So right now, with so many good affiliate forums around, including Allans, there doesn't seem to be much point in reviving it.

One good thing is that it will free up more time for me to participate here and some of my other favorite forums :)

phil
Last edited by philwiley on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
philwiley

Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:26 am

Never mind, Phil, I'm sure you can find 100 things which use your time more effectively than running a forum.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:02 am

AllanGardyne wrote: His web host told him the hard drive on the server was destroyed and so were the backups.

Backups on the same machine as the site aren't really backups, as we see here.

We could take it a step further, and say backups at the same host as the site aren't really backups either.

Here's a solution.

http://bqbackup.com/

100 gigs of backup space (not hosting space), for $20/month.

Or 10 gigs, for $5/mo.

The sales site isn't much, but the owner is cooperative and helpful, in my limited experience.

The key to backups is to automate them, because nobody ever faithfully remembers to do them manually.

A technology called Rsync can be triggered every day by cron, commonly available on all servers.

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

Rsync will check your server for new files, or new edits to existing files, and transfer this new data to a another server somewhere on the Net.

This is a very efficient way of doing backups, as compared to simply copying all your files every day. It's easy to run up big bandwidth charges doing that.

Rsync is nerd stuff, not something the typical webmaster will want to bother learning. But it's not that big a job for a tech to set it up, thus it shouldn't be expensive to hire someone once to do it. A site on shared hosting may not be able to access Rsync.

An alternative could be to write a perl script that will auto transfer your entire site to a remote server.

Grabbing the data from a forum database would be more complicated, but I'm sure there are existing utilities for this.

To summarize, suggestions:

1) don't count on backups done by your host

2) hire someone to automate your backups to a server somewhere other than your host.

For maximum simplicity, and no programmers, see if you can find a host that offers one click backups to your local machine, and a reminder service. :-)
Phil Tanny

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:09 am

philwiley wrote:but I understood from the host that everything was duplicated on Raid discs, plus nightly backed up up to another server.

How can that be? Did the house burn down??

I think that can't be a good reliable professional host? Do you mind to say which it was?
Andyz

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:37 am

I don't mind saying at all - it was at speedhostingz, I've read many bad things about hosting there since the crash happened, but I've got to say that I've had a few sites there for a couple of years and found it reliable.

I've closed my account now of course.

Mostly I use VPS hosting at slhost. I did have 2 servers eslewhere at one time, but because I'm not technically minded I found I was always paying someone to fix things.

phil
philwiley

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:57 pm

I realized my post could be improved with a few links to the kind of techs who can help with issues like this.

There are a number of companies who specialize in server management.

These companies can provide an objective outside second opinion to complement your relationship with your host. Or, to put in another way, they can help you determine whether your host is blowing smoke up your shorts.

Over the last year I've had the opportunity to contact quite a few of these server management companies.

I found most to closely resemble most hosting companies. That is, they didn't reply at all, or replied 2 weeks after the enquiry, or responded to questions I didn't ask, never heard of spelling, grammar, diplomacy etc etc.

In the end, this company topped my list:

http://platinumservermanagement.com/

I pay them $30/mo just so I can ask these experts questions any time I want. If you have a serious site, it can be great to have access to someone who knows just as much as your host, but is not your host.

Another company worth consideration is:
http://www.seeksadmin.com/

These guys charge $25/mo I think, for a "ask as many questions as you want" plan. I found them to be responsive and responsible.

Both companies can monitor the uptime of your server or VPS, help you find security holes and so on.

I can't recommmend either company, or any hosting company or service, without reservation. I've given up the search for the perfect host, and instead purchase duplicate services from different companies, and use outside experts to keep an eye on things.

The safest route is to calmly assume your host will explode at some point, and have your escape plan in place, ready to go at a moment's notice.

The kind of experts I've linked to above can help with such things.
Phil Tanny

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Phil, do you use rsync? How does that work for sites that are mostly mysql? I'm looking at my backup options now but I think it's impossible to be too paranoid.
blakekr

Next

Return to General Affiliate Discussion