Dreamhost: Hijacking traffic

Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:49 am

Just wanted to make all Dreamhost affiliates aware that the weekend of January 5, 2007 Dreamhost created a pop-up of their own $99.99 coupon code that appeared on each page load of the index page.

As anyone who is an affiliate knows, only one promo code can be used, and those promo codes are used to track referrals. What this essentially did was hijack the traffic generated by affiliates so that anyone who arrived at the site would see a better code than the one they were originally given, resulting in no commissions for the affiliate who sent them to the site.

They apologized and assured that the code would be taken down, but Friday, January 12, 2007 through today they did the exact thing again.

So if you have been sending traffic to Dreamhost and have wondered why your referrals are down, this is likely the cause. Dreamhost has chosen to turn on and turn off the program at will, yet still reap the benefits of the traffic that so many Dreamhost affiliates have worked hard to produce.

I urge all Dreamhost affiliates to login to the site and express their concerns and hopefully we can help to remedy the situation and get this program back on track....the alternative, in my opinion, if they choose to continue to do this to affiliates is that we all leave and refer to another host who respects their affiliate organization.

Jennifer
hostingp

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:07 pm

I received a reply from the owner of Dreamhost that was polite yet completely illogical. I'm not sure if posting the email that addressed my concerns is allowed here, but if it is please let me know because I feel that affiliates should know where they stand with this company.

Jennifer
hostingp

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:41 am

Strictly speaking, it's a private business communication. As an affiliate, you have a business arrangement with the company. You don't own the copyright on any emails it sends to you. It would be unethical to publish it. I know many people on the Internet regard such a view as old-fashioned, but that's how I see it.

How about asking Dreamhost for permission to post their response on this forum? I'd be very interested in reading the reply you received.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Return to Complaint Corner