"The Reason"

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:10 am

Awhile back I was a "faithful follower of these method" until my websites not only lost page rank. but more importantly completely vanished out "G"'s index.

I wondered what happen then started to looked for the answers why

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/

Quality guidelines - basic principles

* Make pages for users, not for search engines. Don't deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you display to users, which is commonly referred to as "cloaking."
* Avoid tricks intended to improve search engine rankings. A good rule of thumb is whether you'd feel comfortable explaining what you've done to a website that competes with you. Another useful test is to ask, "Does this help my users? Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"
* Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.
* Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our Terms of Service. Google does not recommend the use of products such as WebPosition Gold? that send automatic or programmatic queries to Google.

Quality guidelines - specific guidelines

* Avoid hidden text or hidden links.
* Don't employ cloaking or sneaky redirects.
* Don't send automated queries to Google.
* Don't load pages with irrelevant words.
* Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.
* Don't create pages that install viruses, trojans, or other badware.
* Avoid "doorway" pages created just for search engines, or other "cookie cutter" approaches such as affiliate programs with little or no original content.
* If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first.

My question to you is simple this.

How many of you out there is or has violated any of these guidelines?

Thanks James

:roll:

Ron
RonD

Re: "The Reason"

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:45 am

RonD wrote:Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"

Every website owner who has even rudimentary knowledge of how search engines work breaks this rule.

It just makes sense to learn how search engines rank pages and design websites accordingly. It's an utterly ludicrous rule. Most of the other rules make a lot sense, though.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Re: "The Reason"

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:30 am

AllanGardyne wrote:
RonD wrote:Would I do this if search engines didn't exist?"

Every website owner who has even rudimentary knowledge of how search engines work breaks this rule.

I think this rule should really be clarified as "would I do this at all without the search engines or would I just do it differently?"

Doing things that you wouldn't do at all if not for the search engines is probably the stuff that's going to cause more problems.

Taking things you would have done anyway and optimizing in a way that caters to the search engines is a different story, in my opinion.
flexprimo

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:34 am

Thats all nice wishful thinking to follow the letter of the law in SEO rules. Then there is reality. If you are doing everything "right" and are getting nowhere while other folks are "gaming" the rules and they are ranking you have to decide what to do.

Now an ethical person would of course keep plugging away... or would he/she?

There is the catch 22.

You have no visitors you make no money.

The reason spam still exists is due to the fact there is still profit in spamming. When the profit dies the spam will die.

It's your job as an affiliate marketer to generate traffic and convert that traffic. It's also your job to "play by the rules". But there is a real grey area between violating a Search Engines SEO rules and taking advantage of methods that boost your ability to generate traffic.

If you push too hard you may get burned if you don't you may get nowhere.

My advice is and always will be - build something of true value and work on building relationships. Money follows value. And while Search Engine traffic is a great "free" (whatever free means) resource there is just as much money (actually more) money to be made from traffic that arrives from targeted relationships.
InternetMarketing_IQ

how to delete long path file

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:23 am

deleting a folder that has long paths.
I'm trying to delete a folder and the delete is failing due to the folder containing long paths. I presume I need to use something else instead of dir.Delete(true), Anyone crossed this bridge before?
darrygay

Return to James Martell's Methods