No more images with Ads - From Google

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:32 am

We've recently received a number of emails from publishers asking how we feel about the placement of images near Google ad units. There's been some confusion on this issue, and so we turned to our policy team to set the record straight.

Can I place small images next to my Google ads?

We ask that publishers not line up images and ads in a way that suggests a relationship between the images and the ads. If your visitors believe that the images and the ads are directly associated, or that the advertiser is offering the exact item found in the neighboring image, they may click the ad expecting to find something that isn't actually being offered. That's not a good experience for users or advertisers.

Publishers should also be careful to avoid similar implementations that people could find misleading. For instance, if your site contains a directory of Flash games, you should not format the ads to mimic the game descriptions.

What if I place a space or a line between my images and my ads? Would that work?

No. If the ads and the images appear to be associated, inserting a small space or a line between the images and ads will not make the implementation compliant.

Does this mean I can't place ads on pages with images?

You can definitely place Google ads on pages containing images -- just make sure that the ads and images are not arranged in a way that could easily mislead or confuse your visitors. For example, if you run a stock photography site with a catalog of thumbnail images, don't line the ads up with the thumbnails in a way that could be misleading. Consider using a full border around your ads or changing your ad colors, for example.

What do unacceptable implementations look like?

Here are some examples that wouldn't comply with our policies.

Source:
http://adsense.blogspot.com/2006/12/ad- ... olicy.html

[The links to the examples didn't work, so I deleted them. You'll need to click on the adsense.blogspot.com link to see the examples. Admin.]
arpitgosai

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:31 am

Thanks arpitgosai, Good find!

I wish the decision makers at AdSense would decide on one policy and stick to it. This clarification is going to upset an awful lot of website publishers.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:33 am

Agreed, Allan. I'm going to be a very busy boy tomorrow :cry:
TonyT

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:21 am

With the new policy, it would be very clear for placing the ads near the images. This would prevent from banning the accounts.
psp

Google policy

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:23 pm

I don't see where this should be a problem for anyone who is on the up and up.

If you are a scrupulous web owner who doesn't try to intentionally inflate your Google ads earnings, then there shouldn't be any problem.

If you are in the habit of looking for ways to deceive the people who are paying you to place their ads, then you deserve to be inconvenienced with the re-arranging of your site.

I'm not saying that all those who have images near their ads are deliberate deceivers. Only that to be fair to the advertisers and in order to keep Google as a viable place to advertise, this policy is very fair.

If the advertisers aren't getting results then they'll stop using Google. And if that happens, good-bye revenue source. That would affect all who rely on Adsense for income.

So if your site needs adjusting, do it with a smile and know that you are helping to keep yourself and all others who participate in the Google program off the unemployment rolls.

Remember that fair practices keep this program viable and a continuing source of income for your website.
golfnutt

Re: Google policy

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:33 pm

golfnutt wrote:Remember that fair practices keep this program viable and a continuing source of income for your website.

That's an excellent point!

What annoys me is that Google is so erratic in making and enforcing its AdSense rules. For example, at the moment it encourages sites which disguise AdSense links to make them part of the site's navigation.

I wonder if in a couple of months or so Google will wake up and decide that this is a very bad idea (for advertisers), and will introduce a new rule saying so.
AllanGardyne
Site Admin

Return to AdSense & Adsense Alternatives